Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Avatar Sequel just started filming!!!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Who is still waiting for Avatar 2? :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, was anyone ever excited for Avatar sequels in the first place? It was an utterly forgettable movie propped up by revolutionary 3D special effects at the dawn of 3D cinema, a fad which never caught on the way people were expecting it to. I can't imagine the news that an vatar sequel will eventually materialise is going to get many people thinking "yes! Now I can finally learn what happened with whatshisname and the blue people".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Honestly, was anyone ever excited for Avatar sequels in the first place? It was an utterly forgettable movie propped up by revolutionary 3D special effects at the dawn of 3D cinema, a fad which never caught on the way people were expecting it to. I can't imagine the news that an vatar sequel will eventually materialise is going to get many people thinking "yes! Now I can finally learn what happened with whatshisname and the blue people".
    Well I really liked the 3D special effects and the story line. It's been disappointing to have the sequel delayed so many times though, makes you wonder if it is going to come out in the first place. But now that it has started filming, it should all finish by the release date. Given that the first one was in the ''dawn of 3D camera'', given how much time has passed, hopefully the sequel is even better .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Den987)
    Well I really liked the 3D special effects and the story line. It's been disappointing to have the sequel delayed so many times though, makes you wonder if it is going to come out in the first place. But now that it has started filming, it should all finish by the release date. Given that the first one was in the ''dawn of 3D camera'', given how much time has passed, hopefully the sequel is even better .
    I'm not denying the special effects were great, but I would bet my savings that without the significance of that technical achievement, nobody would care about the film a decade later. Given the lukewarm adoption of 3D cinema, it's a distinctly average film that's not really held onto its relevance enough to get excited about the sequel.

I'm far too excited.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thought it was already being made a while back, well time to wait till 2020 and forget about it till then.

ReputationRep:
    The sequels will be less relevant than the Matrix sequels.

I don't know how the storylines could get much worse though. That'll be an achievement.

ReputationRep:
    not a massive fan as I think Na'vi are pretty stupid, but yeah, I guess its quite exciting.

ReputationRep:
    The blue people or the benders? (please not the latter)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AprilFeather)
    The blue people or the benders? (please not the latter)
    Who would win Na'vi or Predators?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Thought it was already being made a while back,
    The sequels have been in development (or development hell, depending on perspective) since before the first film came out, Cameron initially wanted Avatar 2 to release in 2015. This was repeatedly delayed and Cameron elected to finish writing all four scripts before proceeding with actual production of even the first sequel. Writing finished late last year/early this year and now filming has supposedly started, but I'll believe it the day I see pictures of someone in a big blue mocap suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheForeverDuo)
    Who would win Na'vi or Predators?
    Are the predators the humans? It's been ages since I watched this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I've not seen the original, but someone pointed out to me once that it has left virtually no impact on popular culture, no quotable lines and no superfans (or at least not many). Compare that to series like Star Wars, The Godfather,
    Star Trek and Lord Of The Rings as well as one offs like The Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Fight Club or pretty much any film in the IMDb top 100, all of these films have left some notable impact on popular culture, even if it's just lines that everyone knows.

For example, you don't have to have seen these films to have probably encountered these quotes:

"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion."
    "These are not the droids you are looking for."
    "How often do you really look at a man's shoes?"
    "I'm going to make you an offer you can't refuse."
    "Life's like a box of chocolates."
    "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."
    OR "Are you not entertained?"
    "Heeeeeeere's Johnny"
    "They can take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom"
    "Are you talking to me?!"
    "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that"

As it happens, I've only seen about half of those films.

Basically, I agree with you: there's not much point is building a sequel on a film that - other than using some technology that was new and exciting ten years ago is now redundant - really wasn't significant.

ReputationRep:
    Are the predators the humans? It's been ages since I watched this.
    no, the 8ft tall alien hunters with mandibles and invisibility cloaks!

ReputationRep:
    You mean Pocahontas 4?

ReputationRep:
    no, the 8ft tall alien hunters with mandibles and invisibility cloaks!
    I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm assuming the Na'vi win. How many movies have bad endings?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm assuming the Na'vi win. How many movies have bad endings?
    am I the only one who didn't feel sorry for the Na'vi at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I've not seen the original, but someone pointed out to me once that it has left virtually no impact on popular culture, no quotable lines and no superfans (or at least not many). Compare that to series like Star Wars, The Godfather,
    Star Trek and Lord Of The Rings as well as one offs like The Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, Fight Club or pretty much any film in the IMDb top 100, all of these films have left some notable impact on popular culture, even if it's just lines that everyone knows.
    This is pretty much it, it's such an insignificant blip in the grand scheme of cinema despite the sheer volume of cash it took.

ReputationRep:
    am I the only one who didn't feel sorry for the Na'vi at all?
    I didn't really give a crap about the movie as a whole so i guess you're not?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Gofre)
    This is pretty much it, it's such an insignificant blip in the grand scheme of cinema despite the sheer volume of cash it took.
    (Original post by Manitude)
    "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that"

As it happens, I've only seen about half of those films.
    Apparently the 'dear leader' Mr Kim used a line in Avatar but replaced the 'Sky People' with something more suitable:

Kim: “The American dotard has sent us a message: that he can take whatever he wants. That no one can stop him. Well, we will send him a message: that he cannot take whatever he wants! And that this........this is our land!”

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.