Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got a 2670 on my UKCAT, barely above the average. SJ Band 1. In my IGCSEs, I have 9A*s (Phy, Chem, Bio, Ext Math, Economics, Geography, French as a second language, English Language, English Lit) and one A (with an 89) (additional math). I'm doing the IB DP outside UK/EU (in Singapore).

Which unis should I apply to other than Cardiff and Birmingham? For Bristol, I'm afraid I may not reach minimum for work experience (2 weeks) before applications go out. I can, however, do more this December. Would that be an issue?

I will also be writing the BMAT this November, but it's for a uni in singapore. I could consider a BMAT uni though- tell me your thoughts!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Your ukcat is fine, I recommend queens Belfast, Leicester, hull York and st George for other viable options. You could also consider bmat unis like ucl, imperial, Leeds etc. I am also an ib student :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    Your ukcat is fine, I recommend queens Belfast, Leicester, hull York and st George for other viable options. You could also consider bmat unis like ucl, imperial, Leeds etc. I am also an ib student :P
    Hm isn't Imperial hyper prestigious? Since I've only 4 choices I'm not sure if it's worth risking. Also, I will be below the age of 18 in September 2018 (I'm actually a year ahead at school). UCL has restrictions for Med applicants, I'm not sure about Imperial though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tekinashots)
    Hm isn't Imperial hyper prestigious? Since I've only 4 choices I'm not sure if it's worth risking. Also, I will be below the age of 18 in September 2018 (I'm actually a year ahead at school). UCL has restrictions for Med applicants, I'm not sure about Imperial though.
    Depends on your own profile. If you think you can do well on bmat definitely go for it. I personally am choosing 4 ukcat unis. How are your predicted grades and personal statement if you don't mind me asking? You'll have to check online for entry requirements because some of the integrated courses require you to be 18 when you enter the course. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    Depends on your own profile. If you think you can do well on bmat definitely go for it. I personally am choosing 4 ukcat unis. How are your predicted grades and personal statement if you don't mind me asking? You'll have to check online for entry requirements because some of the integrated courses require you to be 18 when you enter the course. Good luck.
    I'm currently studying for the BMAT and I've no idea how I'd do anymore. I always scored a 700+ on VR in over 6 UKCAT mocks but I ended up with the lowest on it, with 590. I can't really trust my own predictions anymore

I haven't gotten any expert to review my PS, just my parents an a relatively clueless teacher. Their responses were all "meh meh it's good" so I'm not sure how much I can trust it. I just submitted my PS to TSR reviewing private forum, I hope I get a reply soon as my school wants to finish off med applications by Friday. I don't mind sharing it with fellow TSR members, if you'd like to have a look.

The predicted grades are kept secret, and the rule's stuck to quite seriously at our school. I think I've a 776 in bio, math and chem respectively. Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying for the BMAT and I've no idea how I'd do anymore. I always scored a 700+ on VR in over 6 UKCAT mocks but I ended up with the lowest on it, with 590. I can't really trust my own predictions anymore

I haven't gotten any expert to review my PS, just my parents an a relatively clueless teacher. Their responses were all "meh meh it's good" so I'm not sure how much I can trust it. I just submitted my PS to TSR reviewing private forum, I hope I get a reply soon as my school wants to finish off med applications by Friday. I don't mind sharing it with fellow TSR members, if you'd like to have a look.

The predicted grades are kept secret, and the rule's stuck to quite seriously at our school. I think I've a 776 in bio, math and chem respectively. Hopefully.
    Ok in your situation I would do the bmat and try to get as best as I can and maybe think about applying to one bmat school. I would also try my best to write an excellent personal statement and perhaps apply bristol and Keele. I would go for gcse heavy universities such as queen Belfast and look at which universities don't weigh ukcat as much. If you search "Applying to medical school with your strengths" on Google, you will find a helpful link on TSR that gives you an idea of what schools are looking for. Good luck!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Also, I will be below the age of 18 in September 2018 (I'm actually a year ahead at school). UCL has restrictions for Med applicants, I'm not sure about Imperial though.
    You definitely need to check that as a priority. That's a more important consideration than "prestige".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Do NOT share your PS with random people on the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Do NOT share your PS with random people on the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    right okay, thanks. That was quite silly of me. I've shared it only on the PS review private forum thing, nowhere else till now- phew. Is that okay? I gave a google doc link, so I can just delete the access if needed.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    right okay, thanks. That was quite silly of me. I've shared it only on the PS review private forum thing, nowhere else till now- phew. Is that okay? I gave a google doc link, so I can just delete the access if needed.
    If it's the private forum (ie you can't see any other threads in the forum) then I think you need to post the PS not a link to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    If it's the private forum (ie you can't see any other threads in the forum) then I think you need to post the PS not a link to it.
    anddd it's safe to do that right? How soon would I get a review- it says 5 days- is that a confirmed or just an attempt?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    anddd it's safe to do that right? How soon would I get a review- it says 5 days- is that a confirmed or just an attempt?
    Yes it's safe. The review process prioritises posters with 100+ posts, so there's no guarantee in your case, but hopefully someone will review it soon.

ReputationRep:
    I got a 2670 on my UKCAT, barely above the average. SJ Band 1. In my IGCSEs, I have 9A*s (Phy, Chem, Bio, Ext Math, Economics, Geography, French as a second language, English Language, English Lit) and one A (with an 89) (additional math). I'm doing the IB DP outside UK/EU (in Singapore).

Which unis should I apply to other than Cardiff and Birmingham? For Bristol, I'm afraid I may not reach minimum for work experience (2 weeks) before applications go out. I can, however, do more this December. Would that be an issue?

I will also be writing the BMAT this November, but it's for a uni in singapore. I could consider a BMAT uni though- tell me your thoughts!

Thank you!
    I would apply to Queens Belfast (85% GCSEs and only 15 UKCAT​)
    Maybe also Bart's (UCAS tariff and UKCAT), Kings, UEA or Hull York (all combine GCSEs and UKCAT, so you'll be fine).

ReputationRep:

Thank you!
    You should be good for an interview at QUB (maybe use this as a safe choice) and maybe Exeter

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally in the same position as you. I got 2630 though in the UKCAT and I got 5A*'s, 5A's and 2B's at GCSEs. Not sure what universities to apply to either (I'm not going to do BMAT).

I'm predicted A,A,A and I'm able to bump up one of the A's to an A* if I wanted to. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmiassa)
    I'm literally in the same position as you. I got 2630 though in the UKCAT and I got 5A*'s, 5A's and 2B's at GCSEs. Not sure what universities to apply to either (I'm not going to do BMAT).

I'm predicted A,A,A and I'm able to bump up one of the A's to an A* if I wanted to. Any advice?
    Hi! You should first go bump that up when you can!
    At our school, they say it's policy to not tell us our predicted grades, but we could take a guess from our past performance in exams. And that most teachers bump it up by one point.

Are you an international student?

I'd recommend QUB, Cardiff and Birmingham because they don't look at UKCAT too much, but they look for 7A*s at GCSE. But you've gotten 10A/A*s so I think you may be good to go. On Birmingham's website, they've got an offer calculator which you can use to get a rough predicted on your likeliness to be called for an interview. You should really look at that to gauge an idea of the kind of unis you should look at. I'd also tell you to write a really good personal statement and try Bristol. You could look at Keele too. Try out the PS reviewer here in TSR ASAP

I've made a stupid mistake of taking the BMAT because i've decided not to apply to any BMAT schools :/ I'm applying to Birmingham, Cardiff, Nottingham and Bristol for Medicine. My 5th is King's for BioMedical Sciences.

For BMAT, I've already paid the registration fee AND a non-refundable course fee that totals to almost 2200 GBP! I'd LOVE to concentrate my energies elsewhere, especially because IB is pure torture haha. I understand money isn't that important right now but that's a huge amount. I wish they'd refund

ReputationRep:
    Hi! You should first go bump that up when you can!
    At our school, they say it's policy to not tell us our predicted grades, but we could take a guess from our past performance in exams. And that most teachers bump it up by one point.

Are you an international student?

I'd recommend QUB, Cardiff and Birmingham because they don't look at UKCAT too much, but they look for 7A*s at GCSE. But you've gotten 10A/A*s so I think you may be good to go. On Birmingham's website, they've got an offer calculator which you can use to get a rough predicted on your likeliness to be called for an interview. You should really look at that to gauge an idea of the kind of unis you should look at. I'd also tell you to write a really good personal statement and try Bristol. You could look at Keele too. Try out the PS reviewer here in TSR ASAP

I've made a stupid mistake of taking the BMAT because i've decided not to apply to any BMAT schools :/ I'm applying to Birmingham, Cardiff, Nottingham and Bristol for Medicine. My 5th is King's for BioMedical Sciences.

For BMAT, I've already paid the registration fee AND a non-refundable course fee that totals to almost 2200 GBP! I'd LOVE to concentrate my energies elsewhere, especially because IB is pure torture haha. I understand money isn't that important right now but that's a huge amount. I wish they'd refund
    Alright thanks so much and no, I'm not an international student.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.