The Student Room Group

what advice can i give a friend who wants to drop out of cambridge

Im in a bit of a awkward situation as a close friend has come to me for some advice
He is currently in his second year at cambridge and he has been feeling increasinly isolated and unhappy at the uni over his first year he isnt sure if he should drop out or stick in to complete his degree
He basically feels like he cant drop out as he is at cambridge and has worked very hard to get their
any advice ?

Scroll to see replies

It's completely his decision, however, if I was him, I'd stick it out!

For the sake of one year, and what you'll get at the end of it, it's a no brainer!
Reply 2
Original post by james7891011
Im in a bit of a awkward situation as a close friend has come to me for some advice
He is currently in his second year at cambridge and he has been feeling increasinly isolated and unhappy at the uni over his first year he isnt sure if he should drop out or stick in to complete his degree
He basically feels like he cant drop out as he is at cambridge and has worked very hard to get their
any advice ?

Currently in second year? Term doesn't start for a week or so.

Has your friend spoken to their college about their worries - specifically their Tutor?
He should probably consult his tutor at Cambridge or any pastoral care facilities
Support him.
He should speak to someone at the uni, e.g tutor etc first before making a decision
Also others who are close to him can be of help, e.g family and friends
Original post by King Leonidas
It's completely his decision, however, if I was him, I'd stick it out!

For the sake of one year, and what you'll get at the end of it, it's a no brainer!

I think the way he has been feeling in his first year has impacted upon his studies at cambridge thats why he wasnt sure if he should transfer and drop out
its up to him at the end of the day he just seemed really unsure and wanted to see what i thought on it
Original post by Doonesbury
Currently in second year? Term doesn't start for a week or so.

Has your friend spoken to their college about their worries - specifically their Tutor?

as in he has finished his first year and is starting his second year thas what i meant ahahaa and he has told me he has spoke to people at the university so i presume so
he doesnt really have any friends at cambridge so he said and he stated that he has spoke to people at the university so i presume he has spoke to his tutor but still feels this way
Original post by Hamza.anwar321
He should probably consult his tutor at Cambridge or any pastoral care facilities

he has said he has spoke to some at the university so i presume has he spoke to the relevant people and still feels the same way
he has said he has spoke to some at the university so i presume has he spoke to the relevant people and still feels the same way

I see. So what does he want, a transfer?
Is his main problem the lack of friends there? If so, has he tried to join any societies etc there?
i think he wants transfer
that is one of his problems as i know he is also struggling with the work load and the intensity of the work
he is a part of a couple of societies
i think he wants transfer
that is one of his problems as i know he is also struggling with the work load and the intensity of the work
he is a part of a couple of societies

The work load and intensity would probably be the same wherever he goes. He talked about this with the uni?
Well transferring is an option.
any advice ?

First year is often the hardest and darkest for some students.m
Tell him to persevere at least one more term, possibly two if he can bear it. Things may improve. In most cases, it really does.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
X

Original post by vincrows
First year is often the hardest and darkest for some students.m
Tell him to persevere at least one more term, possibly two if he can bear it. Things may improve. In most cases, it really does.

I'd agree with this.

A lot of people at Cambridge find the later years of their degree a hell of a lot less stressful than the first year. There were times in 1A when I really felt like packing it in, but I'm glad I didn't as second and third year were so much better. Try to get them to give second year a chance.
Original post by alow
I'd agree with this.

A lot of people at Cambridge find the later years of their degree a hell of a lot less stressful than the first year. There were times in 1A when I really felt like packing it in, but I'm glad I didn't as second and third year were so much better. Try to get them to give second year a chance.

PROSM

You just didn’t manage to hang on and competed your three years successfully, you’re going into,your fourth year to do Part III. :smile:
Freshers week in the second year is another chance to get involved with all of the student societies and extra-curriculars that Cambridge has to offer as well as meet an entire year's worth of new and interesting people. The adjustment from school or similar to the first term or even the whole of first year can be quite difficult. The adjustment from first to second year will not be as difficult and your friend will have seen an entire academic year and have an idea of what to expect. The coming term will hopefully be much much better. I'd advise you to advise your friend to throw themselves into the second year and re-evaluate at Christmas.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by alow
I'd agree with this.

Definitely 2nd this
any advice ?

Tell him to be strong minded and stick it out otherwise he will regret it. :smile:
Reply 18
any advice ?

By the way, which course is it?
He should definitely stay and complete his degree. You don't even know how many people would kill to go to Cambridge. It's just a phase I'm sure and he'll be laughing at this thought when he completes his degree I guarantee

Quick Reply