Jaw Surgery on the NHS Watch

heathey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there. I'm a 24 year old American (with a British passport) and since I was 14, I have needed orthgnathic surgery (or jaw surgery) for my severe overbite. I've had braces before and my ortho always recommended to my parents that I need it but they never thought it necessary. I'm kind of angry they didn't go through with it because now I have to deal with this as an adult.
So basically, I've began the process. I went to a dentist for the first time last week and they recommended a bite guard as I grind my teeth really bad at night plus I have a lot of pain in my jaw area, like right below my ears. I went in today for a molding and the dentist said my overjet was 9mm, so quite severe. He still wasn't giving me a direct answer though whether or not I would be able to get the surgery on the NHS. He told me to make an appointment with GP who can then refer me to a sleep clinc where then, they can diagnose me with sleep apnea. He said he will refer me to ortho from there but I'm just real worried.
I NEED this surgery and I'm worried it's going to take years to get an answer. I don't even mind waiting - I just want answers on whether I will get it. I don't want to go through all this effort just to be told the NHS won't cover my surgery.
I've heard you can get the surgery done in Mexico and India for a couple grand and that it's reputable so perhaps this is another option. Although I would of course rather go through NHS.
Any similar experiences? Any words of wisdom or advice? I feel very stressed and worried and I need some answers
hannahdlaura
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by heathey)
Hi there. I'm a 24 year old American (with a British passport) and since I was 14, I have needed orthgnathic surgery (or jaw surgery) for my severe overbite. I've had braces before and my ortho always recommended to my parents that I need it but they never thought it necessary. I'm kind of angry they didn't go through with it because now I have to deal with this as an adult.
So basically, I've began the process. I went to a dentist for the first time last week and they recommended a bite guard as I grind my teeth really bad at night plus I have a lot of pain in my jaw area, like right below my ears. I went in today for a molding and the dentist said my overjet was 9mm, so quite severe. He still wasn't giving me a direct answer though whether or not I would be able to get the surgery on the NHS. He told me to make an appointment with GP who can then refer me to a sleep clinc where then, they can diagnose me with sleep apnea. He said he will refer me to ortho from there but I'm just real worried.
I NEED this surgery and I'm worried it's going to take years to get an answer. I don't even mind waiting - I just want answers on whether I will get it. I don't want to go through all this effort just to be told the NHS won't cover my surgery.
I've heard you can get the surgery done in Mexico and India for a couple grand and that it's reputable so perhaps this is another option. Although I would of course rather go through NHS.
Any similar experiences? Any words of wisdom or advice? I feel very stressed and worried and I need some answers
Hiya!
I'm currently 6 weeks post op for my 12mm overbite surgery. My ortho said my gap was 'really severe' and normally the NHS offers to cover it at around 6/7mm. Hope this helps!
hazukasad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hannahdlaura)
Hiya!
I'm currently 6 weeks post op for my 12mm overbite surgery. My ortho said my gap was 'really severe' and normally the NHS offers to cover it at around 6/7mm. Hope this helps!
Hi There,

I am 2.5 years into the process and I'm getting a bit frustrated right now with the speed of the process, the shape of my lower teeth isn't arched enough apparently (not sure what the means tbh) but I'm hoping the surgery happens within the next 6-8 months.

Can I ask, once you got the green light for the surgery, from this point how long did you have to wait for the surgery to happen?

Any information would be massively appreciated.

Many Thanks.
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't say anything about the jaw surgery, but waiting times for orthodontic things from the NHS is pretty bad in general.

Been over 2 years since my dentist referred me to the orthodontist for braces - I'm getting them in January next year :P
Mr.wong
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
NHS does take a while. When I first enquired it with my dentist, they refered me to a gp and then the gp refered me to another dentist back and forward. Then one day I got a letter about seeing the ortho team and that was it. I had my surgery done in july and I have been wearing braces for round about 4 years now and will be getting it off next month fingers crossed. If you are on the waiting list when you are under 18 you will definitely get the surgery, as I got my braces on when I was 18 years old and I am 22 now.
ohmydazzle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I had double jaw surgery in Sept 2015, had an open bite and overbite!

Was told at the age of 16 that I would need surgery in addition to braces, however I was still "growing"...and had to wait. Had regular check ups at the dental hospital, had braces at 18 just as I started uni, had to have all my wisdom teeth taken out, finally had the surgery at 21, now soon about to be discharged at the age of 23!
So yeah it can take a while...
Sammie36
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I’m 2 weeks post op. I had my bottom Jaw moved forward 7mm. I’m 36 years old so it is possible. You need to ask your dentist to refer you to a dental hospital depending where you live . I was referred to Guys and St Thomas in London my op was at kings college hospital . Can I ask has anyone experienced any pain? I’m in such pain on one side of my face nothing seems to work to ease the pain. My surgeon said it’s probaly joint pain and to take ibrofren but they do not work! Any suggestions please would be great .
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sammie36)
Hi I’m 2 weeks post op. I had my bottom Jaw moved forward 7mm. I’m 36 years old so it is possible. You need to ask your dentist to refer you to a dental hospital depending where you live . I was referred to Guys and St Thomas in London my op was at kings college hospital . Can I ask has anyone experienced any pain? I’m in such pain on one side of my face nothing seems to work to ease the pain. My surgeon said it’s probaly joint pain and to take ibrofren but they do not work! Any suggestions please would be great .
If you don't mind me asking, what was the problem with your teeth?

when i was younger i hardly ever went to the dentist. However, now i have gone last year and my dentist proposed jaw surgery fr my anterior open bite but i am scared to have any form of surgery preformed on me concluding my jaw.
Cal505
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Interesting thread, I was offered Jaw surgery around 2-3 years ago due to severe underdeveloped jaw on one side, didn't go through with it at the time as I felt I couldn't commit to it at that time, I was 20 years old. Reconsidering having it done but still a bit weary, I was told the process will take roughly 2 years, anybody who's had it how long does it actually take?

I'm 23 turning 24 in 2 weeks my biggest doubt is I'm a bit self conscious of having braces at this age. Wish I'd just had it done first time around now as it would have been sorted by now.
splitpeach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi there. what were the symptoms / problems you were experiencing or was it more the aesthetic?
Sammie36
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blackstarr)
If you don't mind me asking, what was the problem with your teeth?

when i was younger i hardly ever went to the dentist. However, now i have gone last year and my dentist proposed jaw surgery fr my anterior open bite but i am scared to have any form of surgery preformed on me concluding my jaw.
Hey sorry for the late reply . I had an over bit of 15mm this was because my bottom jaw did not develop properly. I had my braces of on Monday I now have to wear a retainer full time for 6 months then of a night for 6 months. The whole treatment took 2 years which I must confess went really quick. My teeth look amazing now. I would definitely recommend it.
splitpeach
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sammie36)
hi. what were the symptoms or problems you were experiencing? or was it just aesthetic?
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I also had lower jaw surgery for an over bite. I had braces on for almost two and a half years before having surgery. Initial pain was bad but I stopped taking painkillers the day after i had the surgery. If you do have it i suggest going for a walk every day afterwards, it helps reduce swelling as well as ice packs. Returned to non contact rugby after three months and my first contact game 4 1/2 months later... Probably a little bit crazy (Doc called me a freak of human nature!) Other than that I've not had any problems. Honestly the best thing I've ever done. It's a bit of a wait to get your teeth ready etc but for me it meant my jaw no longer clicks and I'm happy with the side profile of my face.
susjanthe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get yourself a referral to see an orthodontic dentist at your local hospital, you might have a wait to see him, but then you can discuss your options with him
_jeanmark_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, how did you apply to get this done? I'm 19 years old and really self conscious about my underbite, cant seem to find anything online that advises how to actually get the surgery done?
hannahdlaura
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya, it all depends on where you live. If you're in the UK, I'd say book an appt with your dentist. If you're in the US, do some research on Google, typing in 'maxillofacial surgeons near me' should be a good start. Hope all goes well for you!
Blue0556
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi,I have the same regret but I waited 10 years. I was offered this treatment at 18 and I was too afraid to go through with it as their description scared the life out of me. Fast forward 10 years and I've got an appointment today to see where I stand. I would say go for it if you're 50/50, at least by my age it'll be sorted and you won't have to go through your 30th with braces on 😊
Blue0556
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Did you get it on the NHS at 36? I'm worried at 28 I may not. I was offered treatment at 18 but I was too afraid at that point to go through with it.. I guess I still am really x
(Original post by Blue0556)
Hi,I have the same regret but I waited 10 years. I was offered this treatment at 18 and I was too afraid to go through with it as their description scared the life out of me. Fast forward 10 years and I've got an appointment today to see where I stand. I would say go for it if you're 50/50, at least by my age it'll be sorted and you won't have to go through your 30th with braces on 😊
(Original post by splitpeach)
hi. what were the symptoms or problems you were experiencing? or was it just aesthetic?
Rachel90
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi. I'm 29yrs old and have an overjet of about 10mm (aswell as an overbite). I've wanted to have jaw surgery and braces for many years now and I've finally decided to do something about it. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to afford it myself so I'm hoping I can apply through the NHS. I went to see my dentist today and I've asked her to refer me to see if it's possible. She said she was happy to do so but that it's very unlikely they will cover it on the NHS and not to get my hopes up. Has anyone else ever been declined as an adult with a similar level of overjet?
hazukasad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rachel90)
Hi. I'm 29yrs old and have an overjet of about 10mm (aswell as an overbite). I've wanted to have jaw surgery and braces for many years now and I've finally decided to do something about it. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to afford it myself so I'm hoping I can apply through the NHS. I went to see my dentist today and I've asked her to refer me to see if it's possible. She said she was happy to do so but that it's very unlikely they will cover it on the NHS and not to get my hopes up. Has anyone else ever been declined as an adult with a similar level of overjet?
I started my process for a double jaw surgery for an under bite when I was 22. they didn't talk about costs and I would say 10mm is on the larger scale (mine was 9mm) so you should be fine. my only thing I have to warn you is that it took an age for the whe thing. in what was meant to be 2 year process from start to end took 3.5 years. I lost the plot because I was sick and tired of wearing braces and I wanted the whole thing over and done with. so I recommend a lot of patience.

but in the end it was the best thing I ever did.

best of luck of to you 🤞
Last edited by hazukasad; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (406)
68.01%
No (191)
31.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise