Jaw Surgery on the NHS Watch

Rachel90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hazukasad)
I started my process for a double jaw surgery for an under bite when I was 22. they didn't talk about costs and I would say 10mm is on the larger scale (mine was 9mm) so you should be fine. my only thing I have to warn you is that it took an age for the whe thing. in what was meant to be 2 year process from start to end took 3.5 years. I lost the plot because I was sick and tired of wearing braces and I wanted the whole thing over and done with. so I recommend a lot of patience.

but in the end it was the best thing I ever did.

best of luck of to you 🤞
Thanks for your reply!

Tbh I've kinda given up hope that it will happen as I've been reffered back and forth a few times now with no one really knowing what the process is. After reading through all the above comments again it sounds like I need to be referred to the orthodontic department in the hospital. I may give it one more try 🤞
Jordan322
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m 16 years of age and I went to my dentist a few days ago (first time in 3 years as referrals from orthodontists were suppose to be sent but we’re never sent and my mothers too busy with my disabled little brother) anyway towards the end of the appointment I was told that he would like to refer me to get surgery to move my lower jaw forward more, now to say the least I’m anxious and really worried about this! Was it my fault? Do I need this surgery? Will it help? Is the pain worth it? Will there be any pain? I have so many more questions.... I have an overjet of 13mm and no one I know has the same issues any advise
hazukasad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rachel90)
Thanks for your reply!

Tbh I've kinda given up hope that it will happen as I've been reffered back and forth a few times now with no one really knowing what the process is. After reading through all the above comments again it sounds like I need to be referred to the orthodontic department in the hospital. I may give it one more try
you're welcome 👍

yup, the orthodontic department at the hospital is the starting point because the braces and teeth alignment is the first and most time consuming part. I was referred via my normal dentist.
hazukasad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jordan322)
I’m 16 years of age and I went to my dentist a few days ago (first time in 3 years as referrals from orthodontists were suppose to be sent but we’re never sent and my mothers too busy with my disabled little brother) anyway towards the end of the appointment I was told that he would like to refer me to get surgery to move my lower jaw forward more, now to say the least I’m anxious and really worried about this! Was it my fault? Do I need this surgery? Will it help? Is the pain worth it? Will there be any pain? I have so many more questions.... I have an overjet of 13mm and no one I know has the same issues any advise
Hi mate,

hope all is well.

First of all why was it your fault? you've done nothing wrong.

in terms of doing the surgery, it all depends if its affecting you physically such as difficulties in eating or in my case if its affecting you mentally. if your answer is yes to both then you might as well do it.

I was in the same position as you 11 years ago. where at the age of 16 I was offered to start the process of braces and jaw surgery after that but i chickened out. In the end I hated my appearance so much that I started the process when I was 22/23, after 2.5 years of braces I got the surgery done and then I had one year of post op braces.

I massively regret not doing this when I was 16.

with the being said, appearances is all about perception. ultimately if you feel happy within yourself then there is no need to do any surgery and live life in happiness.

best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads