Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your favourite classical piece? Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Share your favourite classical piece with us! :music:

Mine has to be 'Spring' by Antonio Vivaldi. I first heard it as a child when I went to the opera and fell in love with it immediately. Even though I was just passively enjoying the music without knowing what pieces were played, that was the one piece which actually had me interested and hooked enough for me to check what song it was. I love its bright and hopeful tone and find it extremely fitting of the season when the environment comes back to life. There could not be a better description of spring. While I admit it is repetitive, I do not mind it as that very repetition is beautiful in itself and adds value to the piece. :love:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)

Mine has to be 'Spring' by Antonio Vivaldi. I first heard it as a child when I went to the opera and fell in love with it immediately. Even though I was just passively enjoying the music without knowing what pieces were played, that was the one piece which actually had me interested and hooked enough for me to check what song it was. I love its bright and hopeful tone and find it extremely fitting of the season when the environment comes back to life. There could not be a better description of spring. While I admit it is repetitive, I do not mind it as that very repetition is beautiful in itself and adds value to the piece. :love:
    So many.

Depending on my mood.

Debussy
    Chopin
    Grieg - Peer Gynt
    Elgar - Cello Concerto - Nimrod
    Mascagni - Intermezzo, Cavalleria Rusticana
    Bizet - Carmen
    Dvorak - New World
    Rodrigo - Concerto de Aranjuez
    Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No 2
    Rimsky Korsakov - Scheherazade
    Holst - Planets
    Prokofiev
    Mahler.........

ReputationRep:

Children love it especially, it was my first favourite piece too!

Primavera is still among my top choices but the one I currently appreciate the most is Also Sprach Zarathustra by Strauss:

But I go through phases. For art (I include prose), I personally can't talk about an actual favourite, as there is so much to appreciate in every masterpiece. Others I listen to frequently are Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Brandenburg Konzert 1 (favourite is part 4), Va Pensiero, the 4 seasons and Beethoven's 5th symphony.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    So many.

Depending on my mood.

Debussy
    Chopin
    Grieg - Peer Gynt
    Elgar - Cello Concerto - Nimrod
    Mascagni - Intermezzo, Cavalleria Rusticana
    Bizet - Carmen
    Dvorak - New World
    Rodrigo - Concerto de Aranjuez
    Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No 2
    Rimsky Korsakov - Scheherazade
    Holst - Planets
    Prokofiev
    Mahler.........
    ...I have not listened to most of these :zomg: I will give them a try! :woo:

(Original post by usualsuspects)
    Children love it especially, it was my first favourite piece too!

Primavera is still among my top choices but the one I currently appreciate the most is Also Sprach Zarathustra by Strauss

But I go through phases. For art (I include prose), I personally can't talk about an actual favourite, as there is so much to appreciate in every masterpiece. Others I listen to frequently are Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Brandenburg Konzert 1 (favourite is part 4), Va Pensiero, the 4 seasons and Beethoven's 5th symphony.
    I still love it and I am not a child anymore :laugh:

Also Sprach Zarathustra is a powerful and grandiose piece :yep: I like it, but it is a bit too long for me :laugh:

Of course there is, they are masterpieces after all

Ah, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik is as classic as it gets for Mozart :lol: It has a lovely and noble tone, truly :daydreaming:

I have not listened to all the Brandenburg Konzert pieces, but that part is my favourite too so far! :five:

Going to listen to Va Pensiero now

That symphony is the classic scary music :rofl: It is full of suspense and conveys that feeling very well and has a few calm parts that act like the calm before the storm. It is good, but again, I am not a huge fan of it since I like bright and happy pieces :blushing:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Have many but top 2 for me are

Just I remember hearing this one for the first time and just think: woah.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1dB...ature=youtu.be
    This was a piece of the repertoire in the first orchestra concert I ever saw and the soloist was just so inspiring and it's stuck with me for ages

ReputationRep:
    I have heard and enjoyed plenty but I am uncultured in that I don't really know who does what a lot of the time. With that in mind, gotta be boring and say Beethoven's 7th.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Vivaldi - Four Seasons
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    😂😂😂

I have so many favourites. There isn't just one. There never could be just one. The ones I know the best and listen to the most often, though, include:
    • Toccata and Fugue in D minor (Bach)
    • The Year 1812 (Tchaikovsky)
    • Marcha Funébre (Chopin)
    • Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2 (Lizst)
    • Carmina Burana (Orff)
    • The Planets (Holst)
    • Symphony no. 5 (Beethoven)
    • Pictures at an Exhibition and Night on Bald Mountain (Mossorgsky)
    • Entry of the Gladiators (Fučik)

As you can see, I have a fairly broad taste - assuming OP was referring to orchestra/symphonic music, as opposed the the academic definition of the Classical Period, that is.

I can't think of any more names off the top of my head though. It's easier to say what I can't stand: anything by Johann Strauss. His music is pathetic, colourless, and wholly overrated. Blue Danube, my arse.

ReputationRep:
    Chopin: 4 Ballades
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Bach's 3rd Brandenburg Concerto.

ReputationRep:
    ...I have not listened to most of these :zomg: I will give them a try! :woo:

I still love it and I am not a child anymore :laugh:

Also Sprach Zarathustra is a powerful and grandiose piece :yep: I like it, but it is a bit too long for me :laugh:

Of course there is, they are masterpieces after all

Ah, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik is as classic as it gets for Mozart :lol: It has a lovely and noble tone, truly :daydreaming:

I have not listened to all the Brandenburg Konzert pieces, but that part is my favourite too so far! :five:

Going to listen to Va Pensiero now

That symphony is the classic scary music :rofl: It is full of suspense and conveys that feeling very well and has a few calm parts that act like the calm before the storm. It is good, but again, I am not a huge fan of it since I like bright and happy pieces :blushing:
    I like happy pieces (such as allegros) as well, that's why our tastes coincide to a certain degree. But the 5th Symphony reaches the Sublime, as you note yourself using words like "scary, suspense, storm".

Va Pensiero is from an opera by Verdi but it's extremely popularised in Italy for its patriotic meaning, and without the choir it becomes a fabulous musical piece.

I linked the extended version of Also Sprach Zarathustra but there are shorter ones too.

ReputationRep:
    I really like Phillip Glass's Violin Concerto, Gustav Holst's Planets and any ballets like Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty ect. ect.

However, some of Paul Hart's jazz pieces for flute are really good.

ReputationRep:

There are so many! But I must say that Liebeslied by Kreisler is just breath-taking for me. Then we go to to Chopin's Nocturnes and Fantasie Impromptu, which are wonderful, Liszt's Lacrimosa and Liebestraum no. 3 are amazing, Beethoven's Tempest movement no.3 is very Beethoven (if you know what I mean) and also his Sonata no. 9 "Kreutzer" is an eye opener to violin sonatas, Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso is a virtuossissimo and marvelous piece, Bach's Concert for 2 violins in D minor takes you to a journey jumping from one violin to another and finally Paganini's 24th Caprice, although I like his Moses' Fantasy, which is played on only the G string of the violin, just genius.

These are a few

ReputationRep:
    I like many of the pieces suggested above, but for me, there are a handful of often overlooked composers, whose works are powerful, perhaps even more so because they aren't always on Classic FM:

Gerald Finzi, "Eclogue" for piano and strings,
    Sibelius's 2nd Symphony
    Rachmaninoff "Isle of the Dead Tone Poem"

I could go on, but let me know what you think of those three!

RG

ReputationRep:
    Rachmaninoff Concerto 2 and 3
    Tchaikovsky Concerto 1
    Beethoven Appassionata Sonata
    Chopin Scherzo 2
    Chopin Ballade 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RGlossop)
    I like many of the pieces suggested above, but for me, there are a handful of often overlooked composers, whose works are powerful, perhaps even more so because they aren't always on Classic FM:

Gerald Finzi, "Eclogue" for piano and strings,
    Sibelius's 2nd Symphony
    Rachmaninoff "Isle of the Dead Tone Poem"

I could go on, but let me know what you think of those three!

RG
    My dad always goes on about how good Sibelius' 2nd is and I recently bothered actually listening to it and it's quickly becoming one of my favourites, especially the first and final movements.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.