Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will I be Rejected by Good Universities if I Apply for Oxbridge? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my careers teacher has worried me today. I am applying to Oxford for theology and therefore I will have an early application. My careers teacher has told me that it is likely I will be rejected by the other universities I'm applying to (Durham, Bristol, Exeter and St Andrews) because I'm applying for Oxford. This doesn't seem fair at all and I think its all nonsense? I have a good PS, 10A*s at GCSE, AAAA at AS and hopefully A*A*A* A2 predictions, yet she still thinks there is a strong possibility I will get 5 rejections. Can anyone confirm if she's talking sense?? Thanks, I'm just so worried now!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T0ucan)
    Hello, my careers teacher has worried me today. I am applying to Oxford for theology and therefore I will have an early application. My careers teacher has told me that it is likely I will be rejected by the other universities I'm applying to (Durham, Bristol, Exeter and St Andrews) because I'm applying for Oxford. This doesn't seem fair at all and I think its all nonsense? I have a good PS, 10A*s at GCSE, AAAA at AS and hopefully A*A*A* A2 predictions, yet she still thinks there is a strong possibility I will get 5 rejections. Can anyone confirm if she's talking sense?? Thanks, I'm just so worried now!
    Total bunkum.
    You wont get rejected out of hand by 4 other universities just because your application went in early. Bear in mind that universities dont see where else you applied.
    As far as I know from talking amongst the people that applied to oxbridge at the sixth form I went to most got all their other choices giving them offers (eventually), if that is any reassurance

ReputationRep:
    That's BS. No universities know where else you apply to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    Total bunkum.
    You wont get rejected out of hand by 4 other universities just because your application went in early. Bear in mind that universities dont see where else you applied.
    As far as I know from talking amongst the people that applied to oxbridge at the sixth form I went to most got all their other choices giving them offers (eventually), if that is any reassurance
    (Original post by Maaaths)
    That's BS. No universities know where else you apply to
    Thank you, that's a relief haha!

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people apply before the Oxbridge deadline even if they are not applying to one of them. Your teacher is talking nonsense. You may get five rejections but it won't be because you apply to Oxford or Cambridge.

Ask yourself, how can Durham have a reputation as a home for Oxbridge rejects if it itself rejects suspected Oxbridge candidates wholesale?

ReputationRep:
    If you applied early, other universities would probably guess that you are either applying to oxbridge or medicine/veterinary science/dentistry those. But in you case, your other choice will know that you applied to either oxford or Cambridge. I know a guy who applied to Cambridge got rejected from both of his safety net (Nottingham and Bristol).

ReputationRep:
    Total and absolute nonsense. Far from rejecting them outright, universities are often keen to pick up students who narrowly miss out on Oxbridge places. If you're really concerned you can just add the other choices to your application after the Oxbridge deadline has passed, but I honestly wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathyyy)
    I know a guy who applied to Cambridge got rejected from both of his safety net (Nottingham and Bristol).
    Well maybe your friend was altogether too ambitious and should have applied to Oxford Brookes or even the University of the Dartford Tunnel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Well maybe your friend was altogether too ambitious and should have applied to Oxford Brookes or even the University of the Dartford Tunnel.
    He went into cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people who go to Durham are Oxbridge rejects so I'd imagine they don't reject people based on their Oxbridge application. I applied to Cambridge but my other universities didn't reject me (Durham, Bristol, London ones)

ReputationRep:
    This sort of thing makes me really, really, REALLY :mad: :mad:

No university turns down an applicant just because they *may* have applied to a competitor university. Please read the sticked FAQ at the top of this forum for more on this point, but suffice it to say that your careers teacher needs to update her knowledge, and quickly. There was a time (about forty five years ago) when what she is saying might have had some truth in it - this was in the days when your university application was on paper, you had to rank your unis in order of preference, and all your unis could see where else you had applied. This did mean that some unis would only look at candidates who had put them top, unless Oxford or Cambridge were part of the list. These days, unis consider applications independently, and can only see where else you applied once you have made your firm and insurance choices. Because you have to include on your UCAS form any of the pre-interview exams you might need to do, it is possible - where said pre-interview test is specific to Oxford or Cambridge - for the other unis to work out that you have applied to one of the other. This is NOT going to disadvantage you, one little bit.

I can confirm, from personal knowledge, that an application to Cambridge does not mean an automatic rejection from Durham or Bristol. If you are rejected by some of your choices it will be because your application doesn't push all their buttons (which, in Durham's case, does mean that you need some evidence of an active life outside studying in your PS).

ReputationRep:
    He went into cambridge
    Just because a student fits Cambridge's needs does not mean he or she would be wanted by Nottingham or Bristol. They use different methods of selection and look for different things.

ReputationRep:
    If you applied early, other universities would probably guess that you are either applying to oxbridge or medicine/veterinary science/dentistry those. But in you case, your other choice will know that you applied to either oxford or Cambridge. I know a guy who applied to Cambridge got rejected from both of his safety net (Nottingham and Bristol).
    Nottingham and Bristol are both still very good Russell Group universities. I don't know what this guy's predicted grades etc were but they don't tend to be very good safety nets, and that's especially so if he applied a couple of years ago before the cap on places was lifted.

ReputationRep:
    No, there was a suspicion of this happening about a decade ago at Bristol, but it's definitely not the case nowadays. It's a buyers' markets, and unis would be stupid to throw away good talent like that.

ReputationRep:
    Bulls**t. Many unis love to pick up Oxbridge rejects as in general only very good students apply there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Bulls**t. Many unis love to pick up Oxbridge rejects as in general only very good students apply there.
    Precisely

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your lovely replies, this has definitely eased my worries. Thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone confirm if she's talking sense??
    She isn't - it's rubbish.

By the way, you can decide to just apply to Cambridge/Oxford for their 15th October deadline, and then add your other choices later until the 15th January.

Indeed it can be a good strategy to leave your 5th choice until after you receive your Oxbridge decision in early January.

NB. You can't make any other changes - so your PS/reference has to stay the same throughout.

ReputationRep:
    In the 1970s it was generally understood that unis such as Bristol didn't like being placed second to Oxbridge, and in the application process then, they would know where else you applied.

However that changed many years ago and now it doesn't matter at all.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancmike300)
    In the 1970s it was generally understood that unis such as Bristol didn't like being placed second to Oxbridge, and in the application process then, they would know where else you applied.

However that changed many years ago and now it doesn't matter at all.
    I think that change happen in 1993 when UCAS replaced UCCA. Until then all the universities could see not just your other choices, but also your order of preference.

These days they have no idea, and universities only see the other choices *after* the applicant has confirmed their Firm/Insurance.

(You probably know this, I'm just mentioning it in case others aren't aware )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.