0h_n0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My parents want me to go to a specific sixth form, but i want to go to a different sixth form, which is my secondary schools sixth form, but my parents want me to go to a private sixth form, and there are loads of difficulties at this sixth form, especially socially. I get told about the short term looses for the long term gains of going to this sixth form, and how much it'll academically benefit me. With government sixth form deadlines fast approaching I feel I need to either settle down at the private one, or find a way to persuade my parents to let me to go to the one that i want to go to quickly. (31st of September is the deadline)
Any advice on what to do?

Thanks
dramaqueen2805
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You’re the one that needs to feel comfortable at your sixth form, if you feel uncomfortable there your results will end up reflecting that cause you won’t be as motivated as you would be at your preferred school
0h_n0
Rep:
?
Thanks, I feel like I missed the point, If im going to move, I need a way or several to persuade them that I would like to go to a sixth form of my choice
Pink fizz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There isn't a 31st Semptember but it should
be your decision not your parents
marple
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 0h_n0)
My parents want me to go to a specific sixth form, but i want to go to a different sixth form, which is my secondary schools sixth form, but my parents want me to go to a private sixth form, and there are loads of difficulties at this sixth form, especially socially. I get told about the short term looses for the long term gains of going to this sixth form, and how much it'll academically benefit me. With government sixth form deadlines fast approaching I feel I need to either settle down at the private one, or find a way to persuade my parents to let me to go to the one that i want to go to quickly. (31st of September is the deadline)
Any advice on what to do?

Thanks
Apply to your schools sixth form so you don't miss the deadline. You can always withdraw later. Make sure you visit both sixth forms with your parents and review them sensibly - they must have a reason for wanting to spend a significant amount of money on the private sixth form. Ultimately you need to go to somewhere that will give you a good education and where you will be happy.
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a little confused - which year are you in?

Are you in year 11 and choosing a sixth form for next year?

Or are you already at the private sixth form but want to swop back to your old school? If so, have you asked your old school whether they still have spaces in the subjects you are doing, and whether they will have you back? Without knowing that you can't make any decisions anyway.
0h_n0
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2childmum)
I'm a little confused - which year are you in?

Are you in year 11 and choosing a sixth form for next year?

Or are you already at the private sixth form but want to swop back to your old school? If so, have you asked your old school whether they still have spaces in the subjects you are doing, and whether they will have you back? Without knowing that you can't make any decisions anyway.
I'm in year 12,and at the private school sixth form. I emailed my old schools head of sixth form and she said she would be happy to accept me but I would need to let her know by September 31st,as that is when government funding for new pupils ends.

Edit: I have also checked the subject blocks for my old school and all of the subjects that i want to do are in separate blocks.
0h_n0
Rep:
?
(Original post by marple)
Apply to your schools sixth form so you don't miss the deadline. You can always withdraw later. Make sure you visit both sixth forms with your parents and review them sensibly - they must have a reason for wanting to spend a significant amount of money on the private sixth form. Ultimately you need to go to somewhere that will give you a good education and where you will be happy.
They believe that the private school will give me a much more focused education than my other schools sixth form, and that my secondary schools sixth form won't give me what I need. I've been at the private school for two weeks now, and although I know thats not really a long time or a proper chance for it I personally feel like i wouldn't like to go to the private school, for several reasons. One of the reasons is that i have to be at school by 8:10, and I leave school at around 17:30 - 18: 30 every day, and there is Saturday school, which means only one day off a week and no real time to do what i want to do and love doing at home. I am slighly socially awkward, which doesn't help with making friends, it took me two years when i moved to secondary school to be totally socially happy.
I also feel like its a very big step backward in 'freedom' terms, rather than the step forward to university and self motivation that sixth form is supposed to be. I felt like college was too loose on teacher guidance for me, but this private sixth form is much too strict...
0h_n0
Rep:
?
Okay, so as an update, i've currently emailed the head of my old sixth form telling her that i would like to go to sixth form there, but need to talk to my parents about it still. I was just wondering if anyone had any good persuasive ideas or ways of phrasing things?
marple
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 0h_n0)
Okay, so as an update, i've currently emailed the head of my old sixth form telling her that i would like to go to sixth form there, but need to talk to my parents about it still. I was just wondering if anyone had any good persuasive ideas or ways of phrasing things?
You seem to have given your situation a lot of thought and some of the points you raise in this thread are very mature. I would suggest jotting down why your chosen sixth form would be better and presenting a thoughtful argument.

Your points about study style and better preparation for university are very sensible and are worth emphasising. Do you know enough about exam success and the strengths of your subject teachers at both sixth forms to be able to make comparisons? Just as you will choose your own degree/university, you should have a strong say in what college suits you. Perhaps a compromise could be that you go to your chosen sixth form for a year and if you are not achieving your academic potential you could restart year 12 at the private school.

Best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (162)
58.91%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
24%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.09%

Watched Threads