Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which of the following two activities would you rather do during break at college? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Play chess with someone at a free table in the dining area or chill out with a book in the library?

It's just later this week, on Wednesday, there is someone who has offered to play chess with me during my half hour break, but I've never played it before, and preferably spending my break chilling reading Fanfiction articles on my tablet, but don't want to offend them by saying no, as they seem a really valuable friend to me.

ReputationRep:
    ?? neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Referendum)
    Play chess with someone at a free table in the dining area or chill out with a book in the library?

It's just later this week, on Wednesday, there is someone who has offered to play chess with me during my half hour break, but I've never played it before, and preferably spending my break chilling reading Fanfiction articles on my tablet, but don't want to offend them by saying no, as they seem a really valuable friend to me.
    I'd go for the chess. It seems worth missing one break of reading to spend time with a good friend, and you can read when you get home. Plus everyone should learn how to play chess, it's good for your brain
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I played chess during lunch and read books on the bus journey to and from school
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I'd rather disregard females, acquire currency

Spoiler:
    Show

Jk. Go play chess with your friend. He/She will appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Chill out in the Library, reading a book. I don't really read that much but It's cooler than playing chess (idk how to play it). But the best thing to do is go on your phone and chill in the student room
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Chess can be pretty simple to learn though; I'd never played before and somehow got dragged into the chair of a chess club back in Year 9.
    You'll pick it up, if you decide to go

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you explain to them that you don't know how to play, but would like to learn if they'd be up for teaching you? It would do no harm.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on how long the break is, because even though chess is good to play, sometimes it takes forever to get to checkmate.

ReputationRep:

Chess

ReputationRep:
    Book deffo

ReputationRep:
    Cafe, Library is the best place for student.

ReputationRep:
    Well this thread isn't gonna award me with some rep for a witty comment! I'm 'outta' here! *Sprints off frantically in search of another thread*

ReputationRep:
    Egg the teacher parking area

ReputationRep:
    Try chess. Haven't played it since about aged 14 but it is still something interesting to try.

ReputationRep:

do your ****ing homework dumbass!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.