Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having 3 weeks of no lessons before driving test... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey! So i failed my first driving test today, with 5 minors and 1 serious. I am so so disappointed as I SO thought I had it today, as did my instructor! My serious was:
    I was told to take the next road on the left, but it was parked cars right up to the end of the road so i had to turn onto the right side of the road... the parked cars had restricted my view so while I thought the road was clear... it wasn't and came head to head with a van speeding towards me- i braked at the second the examiner braked, I failed.

Otherwise my minors where just silly things, 1 for road positioning, 3 for undue hesitation (which i got completely.. i deffo had a few "oh i could have probably gone then" but i am a worrier and would rather get a couple minors for hesitation than pull out in front of something and get a major!)... I can drive, I am confident in my ability and comfortable in control of the car...

I have managed to get a cancellation test for the 20th of October, but I won't be having any lessons before then (other than an hour before the test!), due to my instructor being away on honeymoon... he says I will be fine, and won't lose my skills- and the hour before is fine to get me back into it. As I said, I am confident in my skills, as is my instructor (he was VERY surprised when i got back to the test centre and found out I had failed!)... I just wondered if anyone else has had such a gap between tests / lessons and how it affected your driving?

Also, my next test is at 8.10am... has anyone any experience at this time, I am worried about it being rush hour!

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    You know your abilities better than anyone else, but personally my driving skill would deteriorate with 3 weeks of no lessons. Could you not do lessons with another instructor, or someone you know who can drive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekkrainbow)
    Hey! So i failed my first driving test today, with 5 minors and 1 serious. I am so so disappointed as I SO thought I had it today, as did my instructor! My serious was:
    I was told to take the next road on the left, but it was parked cars right up to the end of the road so i had to turn onto the right side of the road... the parked cars had restricted my view so while I thought the road was clear... it wasn't and came head to head with a van speeding towards me- i braked at the second the examiner braked, I failed.

Otherwise my minors where just silly things, 1 for road positioning, 3 for undue hesitation (which i got completely.. i deffo had a few "oh i could have probably gone then" but i am a worrier and would rather get a couple minors for hesitation than pull out in front of something and get a major!)... I can drive, I am confident in my ability and comfortable in control of the car...

I have managed to get a cancellation test for the 20th of October, but I won't be having any lessons before then (other than an hour before the test!), due to my instructor being away on honeymoon... he says I will be fine, and won't lose my skills- and the hour before is fine to get me back into it. As I said, I am confident in my skills, as is my instructor (he was VERY surprised when i got back to the test centre and found out I had failed!)... I just wondered if anyone else has had such a gap between tests / lessons and how it affected your driving?

Also, my next test is at 8.10am... has anyone any experience at this time, I am worried about it being rush hour!

Thanks in advance!
    8:10 - If your test is near a school, rest in peace my friend, rest in peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekkrainbow)

Thanks in advance!
    There's a lot of factors that will alter the chances of you passing your driving test.

ReputationRep:
    An hour should be sufficient to bring yourself back up to speed, Ive just come back to doing lessons after about 3 weeks off and I was back to my normal driving within about 10 minutes. If you really are worried about losing your ability then it might be worth getting in a few extra lessons with a different instructor of they have space
    Good luck for your next test btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S47W4N)
    8:10 - If your test is near a school, rest in peace my friend, rest in peace.
    The test centre isn't near a school, and easily avoids them on the routes (I didn't pass a school on my test today), but it is near a dual carriageway which I'm fine with usually, just unsure if the time will make that busy?

(Original post by dickwhittington)
    An hour should be sufficient to bring yourself back up to speed, Ive just come back to doing lessons after about 3 weeks off and I was back to my normal driving within about 10 minutes. If you really are worried about losing your ability then it might be worth getting in a few extra lessons with a different instructor of they have space
    Good luck for your next test btw
    That's good to hear yours didn't! I think I'd I had a three week break early on in my learning, yes I would be losing a lot of skill- but after 40+ hours of lessons, and how confident I am as it stands I hope I'll be like you!
    Another instructor is a good idea, I'll have a look but I dont know if one would fit me in-between took me a few weeks to find one with availablity as it was!

Thank everyone, I'm just majorly frustrated still!

ReputationRep:
    I have my test at 8:10am tomorrow too, I’ll let you know how it goes! also would be great to have any advice from people for driving during rush hour!

ReputationRep:
    I failed my test first time with 1 minor and 1 serious (which I blame the examiner for), and had my next test 2 weeks later (which I passed with 3 minors). Between then I only had a free 1 hour lesson with my instructor's son (he was learning to become an instructor) and the hour before the test. Both of these didn't exactly go well (went through a light just as it turned red, didn't give way to someone on a zebra crossing, went in the wrong lane at the roundabout). I wouldn't put this down to not driving for 2 weeks, it was more my concentration levels at the time weren't exactly great and by the sounds of it you're a much better driver than me. I still went on to pass my test as I made sure to concentrate more. If anything I'd say that the free lesson was more of a hindrance because it got me a bit panicky thinking that I'd need a load more lessons just because of those silly mistakes. I'm sure you'll pass second time too, just remember to keep calm

ReputationRep:
    I had this conversation with my instructor about one of his pupils, who had a 5 week gap between lessons, then their Practical Driving Test Straight Afterwards.

Generally it is quite subjective to the individual whether they would be able to cope with a long gap between lessons and then the test.

I think I would struggle with having a long gap, though I find going out to practice with my Dad very stressful, so tend to avoid it.

I have my test in 2 weeks though, and have had regular lessons, so It should in theory be fine.

I avoided booking my test for the early one, generally because I'm more of a night owl, so struggle with concentration at that time of the morning, and opted for the 12:38 slot, though my city is ALWAYS busy.

ReputationRep:
    Drive around with a parent in the passenger seat

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.