Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know which college is best for self-catering in first year?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g3ob)
    I'm not really sure that you can compare self-catering. For one, it genuinely shouldn't be the reason you are choosing a college. For two, the standard of the kitchens (or gyp rooms) it very often depends on where within a college the university places you.

Logic stands that if you're in a 15th century building, the kitchen facilities might not be the best...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g3ob)
    Wolfson, or anywhere that has ovens... although as 04MR17 mentioned in many colleges the "standard" of gyp room varies and there's no guarantee your college will allocate you to a well-equiped gyp unless you have a medical reason.

Colleges are geared up for you to eat in Hall, not primarily for self-catering. All gyps have hobs, most don't have have ovens. You will become a master of the microwave or one-pot cooking...

Have a look at http://applytocambridge.com/colleges

Edit: oh I think King's might allow you to request an oven-equipped gyp. Tagging Zacken
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Wolfson, or anywhere that has ovens... although as 04MR17 mentioned in many colleges the "standard" of gyp room varies and there's no guarantee your college will allocate you to a well-equiped gyp unless you have a medical reason.

Colleges are geared up for you to eat in Hall, not primarily for self-catering. All gyps have hobs, most don't have have ovens. You will become a master of the microwave or one-pot cooking...

Like most universities in that sense.

I'm just happy I beat you to first response on a Cambridge thread.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I'm just happy I beat you to first response on a Cambridge thread.
    It's not a competition.

Spoiler:
    Show

:shakecane:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It's not a competition.

Spoiler:
    Show

:shakecane:
    True, we're not VIPs.

I will float round here a bit more in the coming weeks with the approaching deadline though.:yep:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    True, we're not VIPs.

I will float round here a bit more in the coming weeks with the approaching deadline though.:yep:
    You are very welcome to. The more the merrier

ReputationRep:

Edit: oh I think King's might allow you to request an oven-equipped gyp. Tagging Zacken
    Yep, every first year has the choice of living in Spalding (it's undersubscribed so you're guaranteed a room there if you pick it) and that has proper kitchens: ovens, microwaves, hobs, etc...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yep, every first year has the choice of living in Spalding (it's undersubscribed so you're guaranteed a room there if you pick it) and that has proper kitchens: ovens, microwaves, hobs, etc...
    And the downside is...?

ReputationRep:
    And the downside is...?
    you have to share a disease ridden toilet with 20 others whilst living inside of a hellish maze

thats just a small side note tho

ReputationRep:
    And the downside is...?
    No ensuites (but the option for long contracts, which the other fresher building doesn't have). It's also offsite (right by Aromi), but only 30 seconds away.

Contrary to the above post, the bathrooms are quite nice and you don't share them with very many people, the toilets can be a bit less modern in some places though...

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all Girton kitchens have ovens if that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No ensuites (but the option for long contracts, which the other fresher building doesn't have). It's also offsite (right by Aromi), but only 30 seconds away.

Contrary to the above post, the bathrooms are quite nice and you don't share them with very many people, the toilets can be a bit less modern in some places though...
    When we were talking about this last time, didn’t we discover King’s rent is quite expensive, if I remember correctly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    you have to share a disease ridden toilet with 20 others whilst living inside of a hellish maze

thats just a small side note tho
    Dont worry. A sort of people who choose to live at King’s are quite prepared for that sort of exCommunist standard of living condition. They’d feel very much at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    When we were talking about this last time, didn’t we discover King’s rent is quite expensive, if I remember correctly?
    It varies: some rooms are rather expensive, but there are smaller rooms that are much cheaper, on the order of £800-950 a term or so, if I recall correctly.

(Original post by vincrows)
    Dont worry. A sort of people who choose to live at King’s are quite prepared for that sort of exCommunist standard of living condition. They’d feel very much at home.
    He's from King's as well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.