The Student Room Group

Slightly weird circumstances - likely student finance?

Hello!
Wondering if anyone could advise/tell me where to look for advice on student finance, for example how they assess income, given my circumstances (which are a little weird)?
I am applying through UCAS for 2018 university admission at the moment. Assuming I get/accept any offers, I will be applying for student finance (whichever the normal one is for UK students). I was wondering how income is assessed? My mum doesn't earn very much, I earn very little from a couple of part time jobs, and my dad was retired on medical grounds 3 years ago. Until recently he was still recieving some wages from his old company, but from this month his only income will be from benefits (as he is permanently unfit for work, gets PIP/disability benefits etc), and we will be pretty skint.
I am applying for 5 year medicine courses if that helps.
Thanks!
Original post by LRxS
Hello!
Wondering if anyone could advise/tell me where to look for advice on student finance, for example how they assess income, given my circumstances (which are a little weird)?
I am applying through UCAS for 2018 university admission at the moment. Assuming I get/accept any offers, I will be applying for student finance (whichever the normal one is for UK students). I was wondering how income is assessed? My mum doesn't earn very much, I earn very little from a couple of part time jobs, and my dad was retired on medical grounds 3 years ago. Until recently he was still recieving some wages from his old company, but from this month his only income will be from benefits (as he is permanently unfit for work, gets PIP/disability benefits etc), and we will be pretty skint.
Thanks!

Unless you're over 25, then sfe would consider you a dependent student and it will be assessed off of your parents income.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Unless you're over 25, then sfe would consider you a dependent student and it will be assessed off of your parents income.

I am under 25 (upper sixth at the moment) but what I am wondering is how they are going to assess my parents income? I don't know if it includes benefits when they assess, and I heard that they assess the previous year's income, but obviously our circumstances have changed significantly since last year?
Original post by LRxS
I am under 25 (upper sixth at the moment) but what I am wondering is how they are going to assess my parents income? I don't know if it includes benefits when they assess, and I heard that they assess the previous year's income, but obviously our circumstances have changed significantly since last year?

You would have to fill in a change of circumstances form to be assessed on the current year
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
You would have to fill in a change of circumstances form to be assessed on the current year

Ah, I didn't know that was a thing. Thank you!
Original post by LRxS
Hello!
Thanks!

Original post by LRxS

Hi LRxS,

If you're going to be starting in academic year 2018/19 we will ask for income information from tax year 2016/17.

We would require the taxable income figures for that year from your parents to assess your full entitlement to funding. You can find more information on what is classed as taxable or non-taxable income here.

If your parent's income has dropped by 15% or more since that tax year, they can request a Current Year Income reassessment (CYI) to be carried out using their expected income for the tax year your studies would start in (2018/19). We will require the 2016/17 to have been processed before carrying out the CYI.

Thanks,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending