Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Just a few quick questions about my PS:

1) I'm planning on applying to Oxbridge and I was told to make 80% of my ps academic, what counts as academic? Does outside reading/deeper interests count as academic or do I have to have activities such as work experience?

2) I'm applying for a PPE degree and I know the emphasis placed on maths, so is it worth mentioning that I did Further Maths at GCSE level in my personal statement, and also the fact that I got a Bronze UKMT award? Ive seen people mentioning the UKMT on their ps but I don't know if its worth it or not. The website states that most successful candidates have AS maths and I do have it, but I don't think my grade is good enough to be shared. I recently dropped maths.

3) Can I email an admissions tutor to check my ps? (Doesn't have to be oxbridge)

4) My GCSE grades are average (2 A* 6 A's 4 B's) will that affect my application to Oxbridge at all? I heard the average applicant has around 6-7 A*'s
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callumterty)
    Hey!

Just a few quick questions about my PS:

1) I'm planning on applying to Oxbridge and I was told to make 80% of my ps academic, what counts as academic? Does outside reading/deeper interests count as academic or do I have to have activities such as work experience?
    Work experience isn't, by definition, academic. What people mean by this is making your PS relevant to the academic course you are applying for. What this doesn't mean is banging on about your A-level choices without actually linking them to your intended degree.

2) I'm applying for a PPE degree and I know the emphasis placed on maths, so is it worth mentioning that I did Further Maths at GCSE level in my personal statement, and also the fact that I got a Bronze UKMT award? Ive seen people mentioning the UKMT on their ps but I don't know if its worth it or not. The website states that most successful candidates have AS maths and I do have it, but I don't think my grade is good enough to be shared. I recently dropped maths.
    Your grades have to be declared be on the form, so they will know you did GCSE Further Maths. They'll also, therefore, need to know about your AS Maths grade.

If there is nowhere else to put the UKMT thing I would include it, but I wouldn't dwell on it or waste too many words.

3) Can I email an admissions tutor to check my ps? (Doesn't have to be oxbridge)
    You can. You shouldn't. They probably won't help. I wouldn't if I was them. TSR does have a PSHelp service if you want someone to review. Also ask teachers etc.

4) My GCSE grades are average (2 A* 6 A's 4 B's) will that affect my application to Oxbridge at all? I heard the average applicant has around 6-7 A*'s
    It'll probably factor in, in the same way grades factor into all uni admission decisions. Make sure you account for this in your spread of applications - don't put all your eggs in the Oxbridge basket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Work experience isn't, by definition, academic. What people mean by this is making your PS relevant to the academic course you are applying for. What this doesn't mean is banging on about your A-level choices without actually linking them to your intended degree.

Your grades have to be declared be on the form, so they will know you did GCSE Further Maths. They'll also, therefore, need to know about your AS Maths grade.

If there is nowhere else to put the UKMT thing I would include it, but I wouldn't dwell on it or waste too many words.

You can. You shouldn't. They probably won't help. I wouldn't if I was them. TSR does have a PSHelp service if you want someone to review. Also ask teachers etc.

It'll probably factor in, in the same way grades factor into all uni admission decisions. Make sure you account for this in your spread of applications - don't put all your eggs in the Oxbridge basket.

Thank you for your reply,

Will the outside reading I've done for the subject count as academic?

Yes I might just put in a brief sentence about it because I don't think it is as valuable but I just wasn't sure about whether it was worth mentioning.

That would be great, is there a specific day where the PSHelp service ends?

All of my other applications are fairly average and in line with my predicted grades and GCSE grades, I'm just being made to apply to Oxbridge as my teachers and those around me believe I can get in, whereas I'm not so confident. If I'm being truly honest, I don't think Oxbridge is the place for me but if I do get an offer, I will have to go as "you don't reject Oxbridge".
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No worries.

Yep

Yes I might just put in a brief sentence about it because I don't think it is as valuable but I just wasn't sure about whether it was worth mentioning.
    I don't know a lot about it - I'm not a mathemetician. I looked it up though, seems to me it's the sort of thing lots of potential maths undergrads will do.

info here
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4237154

All of my other applications are fairly average and in line with my predicted grades and GCSE grades, I'm just being made to apply to Oxbridge as my teachers and those around me believe I can get in, whereas I'm not so confident. If I'm being truly honest, I don't think Oxbridge is the place for me but if I do get an offer, I will have to go as "you don't reject Oxbridge".
    Think carefully about this and consider making a stand. If you don't think yo uwill be happy at Oxbridge don't go - being unhappy for 3 years will affect your performance and your mental wellbeing.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ethereal;73901512]No worries.

Yep

[quote]Yes I might just put in a brief sentence about it because I don't think it is as valuable but I just wasn't sure about whether it was worth mentioning.

I don't know a lot about it - I'm not a mathemetician. I looked it up though, seems to me it's the sort of thing lots of potential maths undergrads will do.

info here
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4237154

Think carefully about this and consider making a stand. If you don't think yo uwill be happy at Oxbridge don't go - being unhappy for 3 years will affect your performance and your mental wellbeing.
    Thats all extremely true, thank you so much for your help! I will look up the TSRPs help and I will most likely apply and see how it goes from there. I may change my mind down the line, it all depends I suppose. Thank you once again! I highly doubt I will get a place anyways, but yeah

ReputationRep:

Yes, that is perfect - be sure to say more than just what you read, but how you personally responded to it (what you thought, what you questioned etc.)

idk about the service, but the sooner the better i assume. I doubt a Bronze UKMT is particularly important--perhaps a small phrase of about 5 words?
    If you don't want to go and don't think it's the place for you - do not apply!
    I understand that your teachers and those around you are telling you to go, but I personally think it's completely your choice. Not their's. They aren't going to study there/do the interview etc. I know you will have heard this before, but if you seriously do not think it's for you, I really would advise not applying. And, even if you do, you certainly can turn Oxbridge down - I know quite a few people who did, either in favour of America or other UK uni's...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martins1)
    Yes, that is perfect - be sure to say more than just what you read, but how you personally responded to it (what you thought, what you questioned etc.)

idk about the service, but the sooner the better i assume. I doubt a Bronze UKMT is particularly important--perhaps a small phrase of about 5 words?
    If you don't want to go and don't think it's the place for you - do not apply!
    I understand that your teachers and those around you are telling you to go, but I personally think it's completely your choice. Not their's. They aren't going to study there/do the interview etc. I know you will have heard this before, but if you seriously do not think it's for you, I really would advise not applying. And, even if you do, you certainly can turn Oxbridge down - I know quite a few people who did, either in favour of America or other UK uni's...!
    I'm in the midst of reading a few books and I'm making notes on them as I go along, I'm just hoping 4000 characters is enough at this point!
    I ended up deciding not to put in the UKMT hahaha.
    Thats extremely true, I think what I'll do is I'll go through with the application regardless, just for the experience, and then I can make up my mind later depending on the outcome of the situation. Thank you for replying!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Go for quality over quantity - mentioning 2-3 books in detail is better than name dropping 10

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.