esme1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I've got a few questions regarding the Composition component in A Level Music:

1. The specifications say that the assessment of the own choice composition is 2+ hours and takes place over multiple sessions. Would it be alright to finish planning a free composition (not using a brief) before going to the exam centre? Or do they expect you to write a 4-minute composition right there?

2. Apparently the available briefs for this season will appear on 1st April. Does this mean we will be able to see the staves and notes before the assessment? Or only at the exam centre?

I'm unsure about what it's like to take Composition partly because this season will have the first music exam with the 2015 specifications.
esme1234
Rep:
?
Bump
esme1234
Rep:
?
Anyone?
i_can_compose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there, which exam board are you using?

(Original post by esme1234)
Hi, I've got a few questions regarding the Composition component in A Level Music:

1. The specifications say that the assessment of the own choice composition is 2+ hours and takes place over multiple sessions. Would it be alright to finish planning a free composition (not using a brief) before going to the exam centre? Or do they expect you to write a 4-minute composition right there?

2. Apparently the available briefs for this season will appear on 1st April. Does this mean we will be able to see the staves and notes before the assessment? Or only at the exam centre?

I'm unsure about what it's like to take Composition partly because this season will have the first music exam with the 2015 specifications.
hendyrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yeah what spec?
esme1234
Rep:
?
It's Edexcel.
i_can_compose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, for Edexcel you need to do 2 compositions - 1 is in response to a list of 6 briefs (released 1 September) OR a free composition; and 1 is a 'tecnical study' (Bach chorale etc) which is released 1 April. You will not be able to see the task before then.

For the free composition: students must spend at least 2 hours on the development and final write up of the composition under teacher supervision, The preparation work just needs to be seen by your teacher so that they know it is your own work, so, yes, I think you can take preparaation work in with you. The 'examination centre' is really just your classroom, as you will do the composition in your usual lesson time (that's what usually happens anyway!) It does say 'at least 2 hours' so I think you are allowed more time in order to write a decent-length piece.

Ask your teacher if you're not sure.

Hope that helps!
esme1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by i_can_compose)
Hi, for Edexcel you need to do 2 compositions - 1 is in response to a list of 6 briefs (released 1 September) OR a free composition; and 1 is a 'tecnical study' (Bach chorale etc) which is released 1 April. You will not be able to see the task before then.

For the free composition: students must spend at least 2 hours on the development and final write up of the composition under teacher supervision, The preparation work just needs to be seen by your teacher so that they know it is your own work, so, yes, I think you can take preparaation work in with you. The 'examination centre' is really just your classroom, as you will do the composition in your usual lesson time (that's what usually happens anyway!) It does say 'at least 2 hours' so I think you are allowed more time in order to write a decent-length piece.

Ask your teacher if you're not sure.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the information.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (115)
27.51%
England (146)
34.93%
Belgium (32)
7.66%
Germany (42)
10.05%
Spain (10)
2.39%