Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alternative Jobs for doctors Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a college student and i have applied my UCAS application already to do medicine but im having doubts about doing a medical career.

The issue im having in my head is that im not very good with having a serious talk with people all day and particularly not well underpressure, also i get very fatigued quickly (medical issue) so i dont know if i would be particularly good at being on 'high' stress mode 24/7. Looking at the specalist routes i could find on the interweb, they all involved some kind of patient interaction.
    I took interest in the research path for medicine but i havnt been able to find any decent information regarding it and everyone i could find still involved me having to do pateint interaction.
    I know to be a fully qualified i have to complete university and F1,2.
    Is there any other paths i could take with a medicial degree that involves research or the use of chemistry and Maths. (particularly maths)

apart from this I dont find biology as interesting as i do chemistry and maths but im interested in the medicine side of things.
    ontop im also interested in technology, i was looking into changing university application to do radiography but im a bit hesitant on that. I dont really know how exciting it can be and weather there is plenty of job prospects.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zifoduk)
    I am a college student and i have applied my UCAS application already to do medicine but im having doubts about doing a medical career.

The issue im having in my head is that im not very good with having a serious talk with people all day and particularly not well underpressure, also i get very fatigued quickly (medical issue) so i dont know if i would be particularly good at being on 'high' stress mode 24/7. Looking at the specalist routes i could find on the interweb, they all involved some kind of patient interaction.
    I took interest in the research path for medicine but i havnt been able to find any decent information regarding it and everyone i could find still involved me having to do pateint interaction.
    I know to be a fully qualified i have to complete university and F1,2.
    Is there any other paths i could take with a medicial degree that involves research or the use of chemistry and Maths. (particularly maths)

apart from this I dont find biology as interesting as i do chemistry and maths but im interested in the medicine side of things.
    ontop im also interested in technology, i was looking into changing university application to do radiography but im a bit hesitant on that. I dont really know how exciting it can be and weather there is plenty of job prospects.
    You do sound very confused and I wouldn't be surprised if this comes across on your application as well. Have you got the required work experience? How did you find it? Patient interaction is a very important part of what doctors do but bear in mind that you will be trained to do this to a very high standard almost from day 1. There are people who have done medicine with a variety of medical conditions and come out the other end just fine but you need to want to do it because if not then you will struggle. Doctors can do research later along side their clinical work but that path is very difficult to follow and very competitive. That's not to say that after doing medicine you can't go off and do something completely different but why put yourself through medical school mentally physically and financially when you know you don't want to be a doctor in the long run? It sounds like something in the sciences and then a research career may be more in line with what you want to do. I would take some time off and research degrees, careers and maybe get some work experience before deciding. There's no rush. Alternatively you can apply for medicine and see where you get to and then decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    You do sound very confused and I wouldn't be surprised if this comes across on your application as well. Have you got the required work experience? How did you find it? Patient interaction is a very important part of what doctors do but bear in mind that you will be trained to do this to a very high standard almost from day 1
    I have done 3 weeks of work experience in a hospital. I didnt find i bad, I mainly shadowed consultants and i was more interested in the science behind the patients problems especially in the neurology and ophthalmology field.
    I didnt really enjoy experiencing the patient interaction part, i really wasnt that interested with it.

(Original post by alleycat393)
    It sounds like something in the sciences and then a research career may be more in line with what you want to do. I would take some time off and research degrees, careers and maybe get some work experience before deciding. There's no rush.
    Well im particularly like chemistry and maths compared to biology and i have been doing some research since writing this post and its kind of difficult to find out which degrees have a high employability and weather or not those jobs would result in a good pay IE > 50K after some time.

Edit: Also where i live, it is being particularly difficult to find work experience around these types of jobs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.