Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know what to do with myself... Watch

Announcements

So i have just started University with the hope that it will finally change my life ,at least slightly.
    I was always a bit of a loner with a small group of friends that didn't really go out much so i feel like i missed out on the standard teenage experiences. Its not that i'm antisocial its just that i have always struggled do find a group in which i fit in. I don't have any hobbies or interests that I'm in to enough to be friends with people of a certain group.
    My interests are also often quite conflicting eg. i like rock music as well as house so if i join a group of people who like rock they don't take me seriously because i also like house.

Anyway where i'm going with this is that i'm struggling to find a place in the world. I have started uni last week and I still find it difficult to find friends.I'm meeting new people but i'm not able to get past the small talk level. The course doesn't really appeal to me that much but i don't see the point in changing it since if i do, my relationships with people there will still be the same.
    Im 19, i never had a boyfriend, a close group of friends or a sense of purpose in life. I tried to'change' my life multiple times by changing my style or taking classes but i always seem to end up in the same place anyway. ie by my self contemplating life.

Have you ever felt like you are just stuck in the same place even though everything around you changes but you can't adjust to that change.
    Any advice on how to snap out of the same cycle i've been in for the past years?
    I don't want to miss out on any more opportunities in life, i thought uni will give me a new start in life but a week in and i'm still doing the same stuff i did through highschool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So i have just started University with the hope that it will finally change my life ,at least slightly.
    I was always a bit of a loner with a small group of friends that didn't really go out much so i feel like i missed out on the standard teenage experiences. Its not that i'm antisocial its just that i have always struggled do find a group in which i fit in. I don't have any hobbies or interests that I'm in to enough to be friends with people of a certain group.
    My interests are also often quite conflicting eg. i like rock music as well as house so if i join a group of people who like rock they don't take me seriously because i also like house.

Anyway where i'm going with this is that i'm struggling to find a place in the world. I have started uni last week and I still find it difficult to find friends.I'm meeting new people but i'm not able to get past the small talk level. The course doesn't really appeal to me that much but i don't see the point in changing it since if i do, my relationships with people there will still be the same.
    Im 19, i never had a boyfriend, a close group of friends or a sense of purpose in life. I tried to'change' my life multiple times by changing my style or taking classes but i always seem to end up in the same place anyway. ie by my self contemplating life.

Have you ever felt like you are just stuck in the same place even though everything around you changes but you can't adjust to that change.
    Any advice on how to snap out of the same cycle i've been in for the past years?
    I don't want to miss out on any more opportunities in life, i thought uni will give me a new start in life but a week in and i'm still doing the same stuff i did through highschool
    "University with the hope that it will finally change my life"
    you have to want to change/ work and take steps towards changing. I would say go on you tube watch videos about communication, socializing or other aspects you would like to change. Also on the first few days of uni where you sit can be important as people clique up within the first week or 2 and those for the most part are the friends you will be closest too on the course for a while i guess and where you sit in the first week or 2 that practically becomes your seating arrangement e.g sit at the back first day with a group and everyones getting along ect generally that group will always go to the back as its kinda like there seats "unoffical seating plan" kinda. so try finding people like your self or a group which seems that you would fit in/ your similar ect and just casually introduce yourself when you guys are seated down ect where are you from....the train journey was long how did you get down here/how is your accommodation ect. Eventually you will get to know people if you have to do group work ect depending on your course.... you could also Try joining a club or joining committee ect as you meet new people

ReputationRep:
    i just read you started uni.....it does take a while for people to become comfortable with each other as these are people you have only known for one week and for a while it is just small talk ect,

dont you live in an accommodation or student housing? generally those are the first "friends" you make in uni, depends tho not everyone likes the people they ;live with i guess

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.