Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Haven't met my uni roommates? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically it's freshers week and i don't want any part of it as a second year so i dumped my stuff off in my new room and put everything in the kitchen and left. Basically i'm a worrier and i'm scared that someone will break into my room either the housemates even though i don't know them or because i'm on ground floor someone will smash my window. or because my housemates haven't met me yet they'll steal my food or cutlery. And i'm worried that because i'm coming back after a week that they won't like me so...can people just give me their opinion and ease me a little. how likely is all this to happen? And is it possible to still form friendships with my roommates? thank you

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is possible to form friendships with your own roommates. Freshers week is only a week, you will be living together for the next year! Plenty of time for you to bond! I wouldn't worry so much, it is rare that your window will get smashed, and your things are in a LOCKED room. If you are worried about your housemates using your stuff, keep it all in your room first, and don't keep valuables in your room. Bring them with you when you arrive.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, all of that is running through your head?...

Why not just leave a note in the kitchen/living room saying hi, you've moved all your stuff in, and why you won't be in over the course of Freshers? Say you look forward to meeting everyone after it's over and hope they have fun.

However, if those things are such a worry for you then it was a stupid decision to leave everything there unattended for so long. Does your bedroom have a lockable door that you used? If so all utensils should have been stored there just to make sure they'd be safe. You're right - people can do stupid things when drunk/left to their own devices, so you should have planned accordingly.

In that position I'd have just hung around anyway, to be honest. Even if you don't go out every night with everyone else you can at least get to know them during the day. But no I don't think being absent will have caused them to hold a grudge against you for the rest of the year, turning into a social leper.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Kayl666)
    Basically it's freshers week and i don't want any part of it as a second year so i dumped my stuff off in my new room and put everything in the kitchen and left. Basically i'm a worrier and i'm scared that someone will break into my room either the housemates even though i don't know them or because i'm on ground floor someone will smash my window. or because my housemates haven't met me yet they'll steal my food or cutlery. And i'm worried that because i'm coming back after a week that they won't like me so...can people just give me their opinion and ease me a little. how likely is all this to happen? And is it possible to still form friendships with my roommates? thank you
    1. Break in unlikely. Arent the halls insured? If you were that bothered then dont leave valuables. Worrying too much.
    2. Why would they want to steal your cutlery? Maybe they have their own. Why not just leave it in your bedroom?
    3. They wont like you? They wont know you.

I think if you were doing it that way you should have bought them a welcome gift some drink and food then left it with a card , introducing yourself, to enjoy freshers and you look forward top getting to know them then.

4. Ofc you can make friends with them then, but you will have to make an effort and not hide in your room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jokyb)
    Jeez, all of that is running through your head?...

Why not just leave a note in the kitchen/living room saying hi, you've moved all your stuff in, and why you won't be in over the course of Freshers? Say you look forward to meeting everyone after it's over and hope they have fun.

However, if those things are such a worry for you then it was a stupid decision to leave everything there unattended for so long. Does your bedroom have a lockable door that you used? If so all utensils should have been stored there just to make sure they'd be safe. You're right - people can do stupid things when drunk/left to their own devices, so you should have planned accordingly.

In that position I'd have just hung around anyway, to be honest. Even if you don't go out every night with everyone else you can at least get to know them during the day. But no I don't think being absent will have caused them to hold a grudge against you for the rest of the year, turning into a social leper.
    I was going to stay but i was anxious to meet my roommates i was fine last year and made friends with my last roommates however i've been through a rough patch that has made my anxiety worse. I only left my stuff in the kitchen and didn't leave a note because my last housemates never stole or used my things so i thought my roommates would be the same until obviously now i've started to worry. And i didn't want to stick around because tbh I was that anxious about everything that i just wanted to go home and go back when i had stuff to do i.e. go to my lectures and meet up with the friends i made on my first year. i just hope my stuff in my room is safe cause yes there's a lock but it doesn't look strong enough :/ i'm not going back in 10 days.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

Your roommates might be as nervous as you, given they're first years, and only move your things out of the way if need be. Ultimately no-one can say for sure what they'll do or won't do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.