Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been contacted by email recently, and asked to forward on the following information to members beginning and continuing with their University careers.

Expression

(Original post by Nicky Barrett - TV Licensing Authority)

TV Licensing, students and the law

When do you need a TV Licence?

Equipment
    · A valid TV Licence is required if you use a television receiving equipment such as video recorders, set top boxes or PCs with broadcast cards.

Accommodation
    · If you live in halls of residence and use a TV in your own room, you need your own separate TV Licence.
    · You also need your own licence if you are sharing a house with other students and use a TV in your room, and your room is a separately occupied place (a separate tenancy agreement would normally indicate that this is the case).
    · If you have a separate tenancy agreement but a television is only being used in a communal area, then only one licence is required.
    · If you are sharing a house with other students and you use a TV in your own room, but the house can be treated as one place shared by all, then only one TV Licence is required (a joint tenancy agreement would usually be evidence that the house is a single licensable place for this purpose).

When you are covered by your parents' TV Licence
    · Providing that you have a TV Licence for your main address, then you will be covered for any television-receiving equipment that is powered by its own internal battery such as a pocket-sized TV.

Costs
    · A TV Licence currently costs £121, and a black and white licence is £40.50. These fees increased from £116 for a colour licence and £38.50 for a black and white licence, on 1 April 2004.

Refunds
    · If students are not staying at university over the summer, and do not need their TV licence again before it expires, they are entitled to a refund of any unused quarters (three full calendar months). So long as they purchased their TV licence in October 2004, and they don't need it for July, August and September, they could be eligible for a refund.

· Most students would need to buy a TV Licence at the beginning of term in October in order to allow enough time at the end of the year to qualify for a refund. Assuming that a TV licence is purchased in the month it is needed, it will expire 12 months from the first of that month. You can only claim a refund if you will not need the TV Licence again before it expires. Refunds are only available on unused quarters (three calendar months). So, for example, if you bought your licence in November, it would not normally expire until the end of October the following year. A student would typically need the licence to cover October, November and December even if they were away from their term time address in July, August and September for the summer holidays. A refund would, therefore, not be possible because the licence would be needed again before it expired.

· The refund on a TV licence bought after April 2004 will be £30.25. This is applicable until any change in the licence fee.

If you use television-receiving equipment without a valid TV licence, you risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1000. We always prefer people to buy a licence rather than be prosecuted.

TV Licensing doubled the number of its Enquiry Officers in 2004, and will make over 40,000 more visits each week this year, across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Our database lists addresses that don't have a TV Licence, including university accommodation, and we do visit unlicensed properties.

Students requiring further information should please contact TV Licensing on 0870 242 1417. To find out about the many ways you can pay for your TV Licence, including the ease of paying by Direct Debit, visit www.tvlicensing.co.uk.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got one TV licence for a house do they really go to the trouble of finding out who the landlord for the property is then contacting them to see if the tenants have a joint or single tenancy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    If you've got one TV licence for a house do they really go to the trouble of finding out who the landlord for the property is then contacting them to see if the tenants have a joint or single tenancy?

It'll probably have the words joint/single tenancy on your contracts somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Well, there will only be one contract that all tenants have signed it's a joint tenancy..

ReputationRep:
    in our halls of residence we were just told not to let them into the room (we were told the visit day in advance, in accordance with their regulations).

as they have no right to enter private rooms, a police warrant is needed, in which time the TV can be tuned out of BBC/ITV etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    in our halls of residence we were just told not to let them into the room (we were told the visit day in advance, in accordance with their regulations).

as they have no right to enter private rooms, a police warrant is needed, in which time the TV can be tuned out of BBC/ITV etc.
    The only way you can do that is to take the UHF tuner out of the TV in which you need to be an electronics expert to. If it has a TV tuner tuned or not you need a TV licence. So if you're using a TV for playing games you still need a licence. The modern Plasma or TFT monitors don't have any TV tuner in them so you can use them without a licence.

If you know the inspectors are coming and they have a warrant make sure you remove any edvidence of having a TV. Personaly I would just make sure I have a valid licence or not have a TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    So if you're using a TV for playing games you still need a licence.
    you don't need a license if you're only using your TV for watching videos / playing games. it says that on their website, but all channels must be tuned out and there must be no evidence of aerials etc.

If you know the inspectors are coming and they have a warrant make sure you remove any edvidence of having a TV. Personaly I would just make sure I have a valid licence or not have a TV.
    i didn't think inspectors could have a warrant to enter property without the police being there.?

ReputationRep:
    So is anybody going to try the "Tuner attached to laptop which is running on batteries" thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    I know what sort of tenancy we have. I was just wondering if the TV licence people actually went through all the hassle of finding out what it was if there was already one TV licence registered for that address.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I found this on the website about paying by monthly direct debit:

You'll pay for your first licence by Direct Debit in equal monthly payments within the first six months. If you don't already have a licence, or you apply later than six months before your existing licence is due for renewal, you will need to make fewer but larger payments.

After this, you'll start paying towards your next licence in 12 monthly instalments of around £10 per month (six payments before it begins and six after). These payments will always add up to the same amount as the annual licence fee.
    So what that basically seems to mean is that you pay for the license within six months, and then after that you start paying for a license for next year, unless I'm getting confused. Now I don't really want to do that, because I should hopefully be sharing a house or something in second year, and so hopefully sharing a tv license. Bearing this in mind, will I just be able to cancel the direct debit after six months, or will it be more complicated than that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    So is anybody going to try the "Tuner attached to laptop which is running on batteries" thing?
    Lol that is a clever idea So what happens if you have a touring caravan with a normal TV and its parked over night at a camp sight and plugged into the sights mains (a lot of camp sites have mains outlets) does that mean you need a licence for the caravan?

ReputationRep:
    So if you're using a TV for playing games you still need a licence.
    YOU DO NOT!!!

I am sorry but you only need a licence if you are watching broadcast pictures, the T.V. Licence Agency are basically being very selective in what they tell people thus creating the impression that you need a t.v. licence just to own a t.v.

All that you need to do is dicsonnect the t.v. from an aerial and scramble the channels, this is enough to prove that you are not watching t.v. (assuming that you are not). In any event I advise ingoring the t.v.l.a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    YOU DO NOT!!!

I am sorry but you only need a licence if you are watching broadcast pictures, the T.V. Licence Agency are basically being very selective in what they tell people thus creating the impression that you need a t.v. licence just to own a t.v.

All that you need to do is dicsonnect the t.v. from an aerial and scramble the channels, this is enough to prove that you are not watching t.v. (assuming that you are not). In any event I advise ingoring the t.v.l.a.
    random question: why does anyone bother getting a TV licence if you can just refuse to let them in? surely by the time they can get police assistance, you can scramble the channels/move the TV etc.

ReputationRep:
    The modern Plasma or TFT monitors don't have any TV tuner in them so you can use them without a licence.
    Im getting a Plasma so I can use it without a licence. You sure thats right?links?

ReputationRep:
    Lol that is a clever idea So what happens if you have a touring caravan with a normal TV and its parked over night at a camp sight and plugged into the sights mains (a lot of camp sites have mains outlets) does that mean you need a licence for the caravan?

I've read in some obscure document (not sure where and how obscure exactly) that they actually specifiy that the batteries have to be inside the TV if you want to get around buying a licence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyboy)
    I've read in some obscure document (not sure where and how obscure exactly) that they actually specifiy that the batteries have to be inside the TV if you want to get around buying a licence.
    my laptop battery is inside my laptop o.O

ReputationRep:
    random question: why does anyone bother getting a TV licence if you can just refuse to let them in? surely by the time they can get police assistance, you can scramble the channels/move the TV etc.
    Read in-between the lines and you will work out that I have only ever once bought a t.v. licence in my entire life and I cancelled it about a month later.

ReputationRep:
    Read in-between the lines and you will work out that I have only ever once bought a t.v. licence in my entire life and I cancelled it about a month later.
    what about that detector van thingy? can't they prove that you've been using the TV from the signals detected by the van?

ReputationRep:
    what about that detector van thingy? can't they prove that you've been using the TV from the signals detected by the van?
    Probaby, but I think that they are a load of rubbish as they rarley use them. In any event they can do nothing unless they have your name so don't give them your name.

ReputationRep:
    Probaby, but I think that they are a load of rubbish as they rarley use them. In any event they can do nothing unless they have your name so don't give them your name.
    looks like i'll have to re-use the Mr. Harry Shiptmanne identity yet again :cool:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.