Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have failed probation - what can HR say? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I failed my probation. When a new employer asks for a reference, are HR allowed to give out WHY I failed probation?

Thanks,
    Dan

ReputationRep:
    They have to be truthful.

ReputationRep:
    Even without the reason why, employers only need to know about the failed probation in order to be turned off by you. Your only hope in future interviews is that you're way past any feelings about your last job and you're ready to put your skills into practice.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. They will be reluctant to say anything qualitative, but that you failed probation is something they can say.

Some future employers will care and some won't. I know a bank that recruited somebody who was fired for being arrested (But not charged) and bringing the department "into disrepute". Failing a probation in comparison is child's play and could be as simple as being too ill for the period

ReputationRep:
    You have to give permission for a new employer to contact your references, and you can request a copy of the reference provided (if you write to the old employer). The reference can contain anything, but most HR departments provide the bare minimum these days (your job title, dates of employment and perhaps salary) because if they provide any controversial information, you may have legal recourse against them. If you failed your probation for reasons in your control, you should understand why and learn from the experience - you'd be likely to run into problems with any new employer if you don't. But note that some companies use the probation period clause as a way to manage staffing capacity, so if you've been hard done by, learn from the experience and good luck in finding a better employer next time.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just ask your most recent employer whether they will tell you what your reference will look like if a future employer asks? Many don't mind telling you or showing you (or will confirm that they just give a certificate of service which is, as @D*G says above, just dates of employment, role and other basic factual information).
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dgoodwin1)
    Hi,

I failed my probation. When a new employer asks for a reference, are HR allowed to give out WHY I failed probation?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Yes they are. Even if they don't say why, they will probably be asked and then they have to reply truthfully.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.