The Student Room Group

Is it a soft subject?

I'm considering doing Accounting at A-level, is it seen as a soft subject by top universities? (How much maths is involved?)
Reply 1
Original post by Ally-mai
I'm considering doing Accounting at A-level, is it seen as a soft subject by top universities? (How much maths is involved?)

What do you plan on doing at university?
Reply 2

It's a 'vocational' subject rather than an 'academic' one, so it all depends on what your intentions are after A level.

If you're hoping to do a traditional academic degree at a top uni then you might find yourself disadvantaged, but if your plans are to do something more vocational like Accountancy or Finance then it wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

Are you taking this up as an additional subject, or considering dropping something you've already started this term?
Reply 3

Honestly as long as you take 2 facilitating subjects it doesn't really matter if the third one isn't as strong. If you think you'll enjoy it go for it :smile:
Reply 4
I don't want to rule out Oxbridge, and I want to study maths at uni. My two other A-levels are Maths and further maths.
I don't want to rule out Oxbridge, and I want to study maths at uni. My two other A-levels are Maths and further maths.

What did you get in your GCSEs out of curiosity?
Reply 6
Original post by Popsiclez
What did you get in your GCSEs out of curiosity?

A 9 in maths
7 in English Lit
7 in English Lang
A in Geography
A in RS
B in Sociology
B in Physics
B in Chemistry
C in Biology
Any subject that isn't science, maths or English is apparently a soft or "weak subject".
Original post by Emerald7770
Any subject that isn't science, maths or English is apparently a soft or "weak subject".

Even English Language is seen as a medium-level subject, though English Lit is well respected.

Considering the shocking levels of critical thinking and reading comprehension skills being taught in school these days, we should be pushing non-STEM too, rather than disregarding it.

Anyway, that's a topic for another thread.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Even English Language is seen as a medium-level subject, though English Lit is well respected.

Considering the shocking levels of critical thinking and reading comprehension skills being taught in school these days, we should be pushing non-STEM too, rather than disregarding it.

Anyway, that's a topic for another thread.

I would imagine English language to be the more respected? But wow, I've actually heard people say that English Lit is a weak subject. I totally agree. They're honestly so difficult and some have even more complicated content than the STEM subjects so why call it soft? Weird..

Quick Reply

Latest