How do you get a A grade in A-Level Mathematics?

Watch
The1AndOnly1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I got an A in GCSE Maths. I was a couple of marks off of an A*.

Yet for AS Maths - even though I practised more past papers and worked harder - I got a D!

I'm now resitting all AS modules with my A2 (doing S1 and S2 as the options) but I need to get an A to get into my desired university.

I'm good on content and applying what I have learnt - but I seem to have lost most of my marks from an inability to prove algebraic expressions and I have difficulty on problem solving.

What can I do to make myself better at these topics - and what other things can I do to make sure I hit that A grade overall in A-Level Maths!

Thanks!
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The1AndOnly1)
Hi,

Yet for AS Maths - even though I practised more past papers and worked harder - I got a D!

I'm now resitting all AS modules with my A2 (doing S1 and S2 as the options) but I need to get an A to get into my desired university.

I'm good on content and applying what I have learnt - but I seem to have lost most of my marks from an inability to prove algebraic expressions and I have difficulty on problem solving.

What can I do to make myself better at these topics - and what other things can I do to make sure I hit that A grade overall in A-Level Maths!

Thanks!
Practice those problem solving questions that you are stuck with - there are a crapload in the textbook and even more in the form of Solomon papers, elmwood etc.

There is no real secret to doing well in maths, just practice until you get it.
Hannah-98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are two websites I would suggest that I found extremely helpful:

Exam solutions - On this website there are video tutorials on every topic and lots of video solutions to exam questions. They're explained very clearly and are easy to follow - that's what I found anyway

Physics and maths tutor - This website has solution banks to textbook questions which give you a step by step method for each question along with annotated explanations. It also has revision notes and model answers for loads of past papers

Both these websites also provide past paper questions by topic which I think might help you

Hope this is of some use
The1AndOnly1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
Practice those problem solving questions that you are stuck with - there are a crapload in the textbook and even more in the form of Solomon papers, elmwood etc.

There is no real secret to doing well in maths, just practice until you get it.
Hi, but I do this anyway - I still flopped my exams 😞
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No amount of reading or looking at websites will get you to where you want to be. You need to concentrate on the areas you know you are lacking and the only way to do that is personal tuition. Do you have any friends who could help you?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, but I do this anyway - I still flopped my exams 😞
What do you feel went wrong in the exams?

My suggestion would then be to focus your practice on difficult questions, then on exam technique.
novaswofter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Past papers,past papers,past papers and past papers and then more past papers
Ladkus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
physicsandmathstutor + exam solutions
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Thanks!
Mathswatch and exam solutions. Go through a chapter on one or the other then do practise questions from the book. When you finish every chapter do exam questions, but don't just settle for 80%, because it's an "A grade", because grade boundries fluctaute and no one will be upset if you get an A* rather than an A. Get 100% on everypaper for your spec and then when you get 100% on every paper in your spec then move to different specs and exam boards until the last 4-6 weeks before the exam where you go back over the papers in your spec again to make sure you have everything down. This is A level and you can't afford to not know absolutley everything and be prepared for whatever might come up, because you can assume that almost everyone else does.
Good luck with the next couple of years ;D
alicia_r
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, there is a huge jump from GCSE to A- level trust me, I was in the same position as you, having gone from almost A* at GCSE to a C overall at AS so I retook it in year 1: but ended up coming out with an A.My best advice is to use physics and maths tutor, at A level you really need to be getting close to full marks to get an A. So my advice go through the textbook and practise the questions and then use physics and maths tutor which is a website btw. To do exam questions by topic and past papers. That website honestly saved my life. I hope you do well, but trust me if your doing A2 maths, AS maths will look so easy. C4 is a nightmare 😂Best of luck 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.67%
I'm not sure (8)
2.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (105)
34.31%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.31%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.1%

Watched Threads