Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dani - I'm the same LEA as you, and have phoned them several times. My form was in on June 16th and when I called 2 weeks ago they said they were working on the forms received at the end of May. So mine could still be a while off yet. I don't care about the student loan, I just don't like the fact that I can't pay my tuition fees because I don't know how much I owe.

ReputationRep:
    xenon, you must be a lot angrier than me, since the phones are always busy i suggest paying them a visit
    luckily i went to the LEA and they said my loan info will be with me in a few days, relieved

if you get a bursary does that mean you don't have to pay any tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    Well I leave for uni on saturday, and the only just sent me a form through on friday asking for more details about my dad (hes self employed) somehow I don't think I'll be getting any money for a while. Royal Bank of Scotland still haven't sent through details about the account I just opened with them. At least Edinburgh have been understanding about it, they said I have until late October to finalise with them. ARGH! This means I'm leaving for uni on only £400ish, soooo worried :confused:

ReputationRep:
    LEAs and councils in fact, are useless when it comes to administration. My friends agree with me. I'm waiting for my final support statement thing so that I can send it to my university, so that I can get my loan through and activate my student account.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a naf time trying to get my loan and tuition fees sorted this year. I sent off my PR1 form on May 25th (first class) and know from phoning my LEA (Kent) that it was on their computer system from the 28th May (before the origonal deadline and way before the extended deadline). I phoned my LEA on 20th July to find out why I hadn't received anything and was told that their "system was very slow" and that it would be at least another month before I got my assesssment results in the post. I phoned again on 31st August as I still had not received anything and was told that my application had only just been approved on 27th August! What had they been doing with my application for the past 3 months? :mad: I took them 3 months to approve my application and not the 6-8 weeks it says on their website. They said I would get my assessment results within 10-14 days.

So now I'm left starting term on 20th September, and as yet haven't received my assessment form which I need to send to my uni so they can see I'm getting my fees paid by my LEA. My LEA are cutting it very tight, and if the form doesn't arrive (which wouldn't supprise me as it took them 3 months to approve it) by the start of term my uni have said I will have to make other arangements to pay the fees even though the LEA will be paying all of the fees when I get the assessment to prove that. If the government say that I should have my fees paid for me as I cannot afford to pay them then how can the uni expect me to have to make arrangements to pay £1150 of fees because the LEA are so slow?

Also I'm not sure when I receive my assessment if I will have to fill in part of it and send it to the Student Loans Company saying how much of the loan I would like (like last year). If I do have to do this there is no way that will get sent off and then receive the loan payment schedule before the start of term and so I won't have my loan at the start of term as the SLC claim everyone who applied in time should have. Hopefully on the PR1 form where you request a loan it asks how much of it you want (before you know how much you can get which you don't know until you get the assessment results?) and so they will send out the payment schedule straight away without me having to say how much loan I want again.

Overall the loans and fees system this year has been a complete shambles, and it looks like a lot of it is down to the new computer system which obviously wasn't tested well enough. I can see there will be a lot of students without their fees and loans sorted out for the start of term, and I just hope I'm not one of them.

ReputationRep:
    What's a PR1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    What's a PR1?
    You're not Fluffy! Imposter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    What's a PR1?
    Its the form you fill in if you are a continuing student to apply for Student Support (loans and fees help) for the next year. Its called a PN1 if you are a new student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessKaty)
    Dani - I'm the same LEA as you, and have phoned them several times. My form was in on June 16th and when I called 2 weeks ago they said they were working on the forms received at the end of May. So mine could still be a while off yet. I don't care about the student loan, I just don't like the fact that I can't pay my tuition fees because I don't know how much I owe.
    Same as me mate, though I am worried about the loan. As I haven't exactly got any cash AT ALL (looks in wallet to find a fiver and a cheque for £20) that is all I have.

My parents have luckily already paid for my accommodation bless their cotton socks, but It's going to be tight. I don't have any cash to buy frying pans, bedding etc.

ReputationRep:
    i got numerous letter telling me of the different amounts i would be getting, none of them are right...the lastest reckons i have children to support...err i didn't know i had children....i wrote to them and the SFD said that the LEA would ring me within 7 working days of the letter...that was 3 months ago..i'm going into the LEA to have a *chat* tomorrow (ie i'll be kicking and screaming) apparently i should have had confirmation that i'll be getting a loan but it still hasn't come thru

btw, how do we know when we'll get the money?

ReputationRep:
    I am waiting too, phoned their slow asses up last week Wednesday and asked what the situation is, they said mine has been approved so i will hear from them pretty soon....

ReputationRep:
    I was told i'd get my letter by the end of the week yesterday, will be getting £5050 loan and paying £180 fees but not getting any HEG

ReputationRep:
    well i was in a similar position as you guys, basicallt i found out that the LEA have really buggered up this year. They havent had time to financially assess everyone, which is why you may have a lower loan and higher tution fees. They have basically done this so you will recieve money when you get to uni.... so in my case i have a 3070 loan when i should have 4075.... but they will top me up later in the year.

so for those who are wondering why you havent got the full loan, or higher tution fees... its because yo have not be means tested (financially assessed) and i think it should say on the letter.... but this is just so you have money when you go to uni.... and they will top you up later after they have financially assessed you.

ReputationRep:
    finally got an email today (was changing my application, rather than applying for the first time), turns out the woman has been on holiday since results and only got back today!

Just to let you know I have amended the records and you will receive a new notification direct from the SLC.
    when i phoned up a nice man told me what was going on. he couldn't help though!

ReputationRep:
    How long does it normally take between getting a password and ID and getting a confirmation of how much loan you should be getting? Just wondering as there's 10 days till I start uni and no sign of any more info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La_la_la)
    How long does it normally take between getting a password and ID and getting a confirmation of how much loan you should be getting? Just wondering as there's 10 days till I start uni and no sign of any more info.
    I got my password stuff on the 23rd july (quite a while after i applied) and have just heard (over the phone, no letter has come through yet) how much i'm getting.. You need to get in touch with your LEA, it really does hurry things up if you keep going on at them to get it done!

ReputationRep:
    I got my password and stuff at the end of may...and I'm still waiting.

We don't get the cheque till we register at university do we? Because that puts me in a bit of hot water because I move in a week before I have to register and I stupidly thought, oh no i will blow all my cash because my loan will get paid in at a set date.

Haven't told my parents yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    I got my password and stuff at the end of may...and I'm still waiting.

We don't get the cheque till we register at university do we? Because that puts me in a bit of hot water because I move in a week before I have to register and I stupidly thought, oh no i will blow all my cash because my loan will get paid in at a set date.

Haven't told my parents yet...
    I think when we register we have to give them our student support number - then they notify the loan people that we're eligible for our loan and we receive it electronically soon after that. Don't forget it's the first year of giving us the loan electronically and they'll no doubt find a way to bugger it up/ have system failure.

In the mean time you'll be okay if you have an overdraft. That's how i intend to get through the first couple of weeks - £1250 of interest free. MUST avoid covent garden and the massive topshop though My parents are paying for my accommodation too so it will most likely be the only time i actually use my overdraft (unless i go mad with loan) and once i get the loan i'm only using it for interest-gaining reasons

ReputationRep:
    Anyone help me out here. I received my assessment form today the only problem is that it contains the course of what i USED to be doing. I took up a different course as i didn't meet the grades for first one. The new course is at the exact same uni. I sent my co1 telling my LEA about the change yet obviously they don't update things as fast as they should.

The question is, will my university ACCEPT this notification so they know i am not paying fees and so i can actually get my loan? If not then i'm back to square one, but if they will then everything is fine......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    In the mean time you'll be okay if you have an overdraft. That's how i intend to get through the first couple of weeks - £1250 of interest free. MUST avoid covent garden and the massive topshop though
    Mmmm... isn't the overdraft on student accounts only activated once the student loan goes in? :confused:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.