The Student Room Group

Chemistry Question

I'm having a bit of trouble with this question:

The table gives the solubility of four substances in ethanol and water. A mixture containing all four substances is added to ethanol, stirred and filtered. The solid residue is then added to water, stirred and filtered. The filtrate is evaporated to dryness, leaving a white solid.
Which is the white solid?
soluble in ethanol and water
soluble in ethanol and insoluble in water
insoluble in ethanol and soluble in water
insoluble in ethanol and water

I pretty sure that it's insoluble in both because if it dissolved in either then you wouldn't be able to filter out anything. But it could also be insoluble in ethanol and soluble in water because you evaporated the solution. Am I right or is it a different answer?

UPDATE: I'll post a picture of the question here:

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
It does seem to me like it can be both the options you have mentioned. However, I think having the table might be helpful because it gives the solubility of the different substance which can be used to find the answer. Can you please post it as an attachment or an image please?
Insoluble in ethanol and soluble in water maybe? You can filter out the white solid when in ethanol. You need to evapourate the solvent to get the solid so maybe this is why the person didn’t filer it?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest