I don't like my name Watch
EDIT: I don't mean that I want to change my name entirely, but just be referred to face-to-face by something else, like a nickname etc
My name is Orla, and I find it both boring and strange. It's the sort of name that is easy enough to pronounce but people somehow find it difficult to spell, and also rearrange the letters to spell oral (ha ha, how funny and original 🙄) or pronounce it so it sounds like whore-la. Even typing out on any electronic device auto-corrects it to oral. I've tried to think of something else that I could be called by but can't think of any nicknames etc. Any advice? Not just 'ignore those people' but maybe a way I can introduce myself to new people so I don't have to keep experiencing it?
1. Talk to parents. Tell them you dont like it and how unhappy it makes you so youve decided to change.
2. You can change your name at any time to anything you want as long as its not to commit a fraud.
3. Simply pick a name an ask people to call you that from now on.
4. You can change it by deed poll.
5. Do it sooner rather than later and if still at school , then talk to the headmaster in that you have decided to change your name and want the records changed. It would make it easier if its done by deed poll as then the school could see you were serious and comply.
6. the reason to do it sooner is so that any exam certificates reflect your new name.
7. If you apply for a passport you want he changed name on that.
8. When you move to uni or into a new job then records will reflect your new name. Over time thats what everyone will use. i.e at uni then people will only know you by your new name.
9. You just have to get over the initial newness. Just ask your friends and teachers to call you whatever your new name is.
10. Some will tease, but ignore that and eventually they will get bored or you will have left school anyway.
Thats the way to transition into a new name.