Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello All

I got an unconditional offer from a university for DBA studies.
    To be honest at the beginning I did not know what is DBA, but after asking people and doing researches about it, I understood like 40 to 50% of the idea.

My problem is that I read that DBA requires a very long working experience, also that only senior manager, CEO's, etc do it because of their long career in the business and management environments. Also most of the DBA students are not that young, like most of them for example are between 35 - 60.
    According to some people, they say that DBA allows you to teach in universities (be an academic person like PhD's Students) and it allows you also to work in corporate management and business companies.
    On the other hand some people say that it does not require a long working experience, and it is not an issue to be in the 20's and do DBA.

I do not have that long working experience, it is just 1 year, also I am still very young (25 years old), and does it really allows me to be an academic person.

I am totally lost and I am afraid that after 3 years, I will not be able to teach at universities and companies will tell me you are over qualified.

Please help me!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharon.peters90)
    Hello All

I got an unconditional offer from a university for DBA studies.
    To be honest at the beginning I did not know what is DBA, but after asking people and doing researches about it, I understood like 40 to 50% of the idea.

My problem is that I read that DBA requires a very long working experience, also that only senior manager, CEO's, etc do it because of their long career in the business and management environments. Also most of the DBA students are not that young, like most of them for example are between 35 - 60.
    According to some people, they say that DBA allows you to teach in universities (be an academic person like PhD's Students) and it allows you also to work in corporate management and business companies.
    On the other hand some people say that it does not require a long working experience, and it is not an issue to be in the 20's and do DBA.

I do not have that long working experience, it is just 1 year, also I am still very young (25 years old), and does it really allows me to be an academic person.

I am totally lost and I am afraid that after 3 years, I will not be able to teach at universities and companies will tell me you are over qualified.

Please help me!
    It's a professional doctorate (I had to look it up too) which are typically degrees for people wanting to work in very specific fields or with lots of experience in a field and wanting to formalise their learning and do some research. If you don't have loads of experience you will probably have to work up to it after you graduate. It may open some doors for you but you're really going to have to prove and distinguish yourself in the field for a while first. If you have an unconditional offer and funding presumably then well done but career stage wise you may be trying to run before you can walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It's a professional doctorate (I had to look it up too) which are typically degrees for people wanting to work in very specific fields or with lots of experience in a field and wanting to formalise their learning and do some research. If you don't have loads of experience you will probably have to work up to it after you graduate. It may open some doors for you but you're really going to have to prove and distinguish yourself in the field for a while first. If you have an unconditional offer and funding presumably then well done but career stage wise you may be trying to run before you can walk.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to be an academic? If so go for a PhD. It's more widely known, and depending where you might want to teach it may be a requirement. Anecdotally I've heard that some academic staff have a perception that DBAs are less academically rigorous.

Entry requirements are usually a masters degree and a few years work experience. Can you tell us which university has offered you a place? Did you really apply for it without knowing what the course is or am I misunderstanding what you wrote?

Here's a question one of my friends who's doing a PhD asked - why would someone spend 3+ years studying a business problem and trying to come up with a way to solve it, when in the real world the problem wouldn't exist in the same form by the end of that period? ie is the DBA teaching skills which aren't relevant in the workplace?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.