Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am simply wondering as an introvert myself. I am not a people person and detest the notion of working in a job that heavily involves people or customer service (e.g. call centres, retail, sales etc.).

What do my fellow introverts do for a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnEvolvedApe)
    I am simply wondering as an introvert myself. I am not a people person and detest the notion of working in a job that heavily involves people or customer service (e.g. call centres, retail, sales etc.).

I'm an introvert and worked as a sales assistant.

It wasn't easy to start with, but got much, much better overtime.

Rude customers are a pain though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    I'm an introvert and worked as a sales assistant.

It wasn't easy to start with, but got much, much better overtime.

Rude customers are a pain though.
    So, did you work in a store or supermarket?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a waiter in a pub

ReputationRep:
    So, did you work in a store or supermarket?
    Store. It's harder than a supermarket because I had to actively approach customers and sell them something - which was not easy to do as an introvert. At first I was hesitant, but I got into the groove of things and it got easier.

I left though because I couldn't handle the toxic managers there.

ReputationRep:
    I’m an introvert who worked as a sales assistant for 2 companies. It takes some getting used to but eventually you learn to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    My first job was waitressing. I consider myself to be an introvert, but I think for work, you can't find jobs that suit introvert people. All jobs require customer service and communication. I normally don't like talking to strangers but I had to push myself (it is a job and you want to get paid) to be friendly and talkative to customers. Some customers in turn were really nice (some aren't but that is part of the job!). After a while, you get used to it, so I wouldn't let your personality put you off certain job roles.

ReputationRep:
    Introverts can only get better when they can get out there and deal with the public, I'm one too and had a retail assistant role that completely changed me. I'm now more confident in myself and abilities due to having that job role.

ReputationRep:

Possibly work for like admin functions for a company where you are not really customer-facing, and people *have* to deal with you whether you are a people person or not

Something like internal audit/accountancy/compliance/HR/admin where you are not selling something and don't really rely on people skills as much?

However, I think you do need to have people skills in ANY job because you need to communicate and work in a team. Unless you are self-employed of course!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm currently a student at uni with no part time but over the summer (and hopefully when I graduate) I worked as a design engineer.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm working as a development worker for a youth project with a mental health charity. I have a lot of imposter syndrome though because there's a lot of meeting people involved, rather than being a deskjob. Not sure how long I'll be able to stick it out but my boss thinks I'm doing a good job, even though I disagree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameshoward2009)
    Introverts can only get better when they can get out there and deal with the public, I'm one too and had a retail assistant role that completely changed me. I'm now more confident in myself and abilities due to having that job role.
    Well. I think you have a misconstrued view on what an introvert is. I am confident and I can deal with people fine. But guess what, I despise it and am not enthusiastic about it. An introvert doesn't get "better" and become an extrovert. It's just a personality trait and the way they are. I'd take a retail job out of desperation and will be fine with interacting with people. But I just rather not.

For example, I'd rather work in a warehouse than in a call centre. You are still dealing with people (mostly colleagues) but not strangers or customers. And a small number if that.

I see an introvert as someone who prefers to watch a film with a few friends or read a book in the night, rather than go out to a crowded club. It doesn't make them lack confidence.

ReputationRep:

In general, since most people on the planet are more inclined to be extrovert, workplaces tend to cater to extroverted mindsets. Being an introvert, I do find that I put on a "work personality" where I essentially pretend to be a more extroverted person than I am in order to get on in the workplace. It can be a bit draining but you get used to it over time - the only way to really avoid it is to set up your own business!

ReputationRep:
    I worked in a vape store for a while, it was an okay job and I didn't really interact with customer for the most part as I worked in the back most of the time. I got free e liquids too so I couldn't complain
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomnomnoodles)
    In general, since most people on the planet are more inclined to be extrovert, workplaces tend to cater to extroverted mindsets. Being an introvert, I do find that I put on a "work personality" where I essentially pretend to be a more extroverted person than I am in order to get on in the workplace. It can be a bit draining but you get used to it over time - the only way to really avoid it is to set up your own business!
    I see. I did get on well as an introvert throughout university but that is indeed an entirely different world. But yes, I do very much intend to set up a business eventually, but I am just trying to find a job to fund that endeavour.

ReputationRep:
    Introvert, just finished a Masters degree in Biology and hopefully moving on to a PhD soon.

I don't have to talk to too many people on a daily basis, but when I do its public speaking, which I really love confusingly. The passion for whatever i'm talking about eliminates most of my nerves.

ReputationRep:
    I see. I did get on well as an introvert throughout university but that is indeed an entirely different world. But yes, I do very much intend to set up a business eventually, but I am just trying to find a job to fund that endeavour.
    If you want to earn as much money as quickly as possible, my advice would be to go into banking then - high salaries and you're not committed for life

ReputationRep:

I'm an introvert and I'm a sales assistant in a shop. My first job was the same one just a different type of store and that was hard at first because I had no confidence. But my colleagues encouraged me and I realised that I can do it and people aren't judging me. Now I'm onto my second retail job and I love it It's helped me so much. I'm so much more confident in several areas of my life. It's helping me become less introverted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomnomnoodles)
    If you want to earn as much money as quickly as possible, my advice would be to go into banking then - high salaries and you're not committed for life
    So, what suggestions do you have for a non-banking graduate to get into banking? I have thought about it but it appears far-fetched.

ReputationRep:
    sales assistant. at first i was terrified (didnt help that i started right before christmas so never had a second to think) but it becomes easier when you think less of it as social interaction and more of it as a way to get money

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.