Anxiety and Meeting people

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I've suffered from what I presume is social anxiety for several years now (never went to a therapist). But because I study psychology I've found ways for me to cope and I'm much better than I was before.

Problem is that I still find it hard to talk to new people even online. I want to make some internet friends but even just typing this makes me feel sick from whatever is wrong with me.

I started talking to a guy on Instagram who seems really nice and cool but he wants to chat with a webcam and that just seems impossible for me.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?
Red Caesar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I've suffered from what I presume is social anxiety for several years now (never went to a therapist). But because I study psychology I've found ways for me to cope and I'm much better than I was before.

Problem is that I still find it hard to talk to new people even online. I want to make some internet friends but even just typing this makes me feel sick from whatever is wrong with me.

I started talking to a guy on Instagram who seems really nice and cool but he wants to chat with a webcam and that just seems impossible for me.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?
What you've said really resonates with me, so, even though I'm sure you already know this (you are studying psychology, after all!), but you are not at all alone.

I feel it's really difficult to talk to people online, too - over the years, I've signed up to the same Social Anxiety Support forum two or three times and promptly stopped visting because it made me uncomfortable. Facebook can be a pain too, but anyway...

With regard to your case, I'm going to suggest you be straight-up with this guy. If he's a genuinely good guy, I'd hope (doesn't seem unreasonable to me, at least) that he'd be completely okay with you being anxious about using a webcam. If he causes a fuss about it, then, unfortunately, I'd say move along - which, really, really sucks when you've found someone who you can connect with or feel comfortable on some level with, but not using a web cam seems such a non-issue to me.

Regarding talking to people face-to-face, though, I'm still working through that myself, so I can't be of much use. I've just... gradually worked up the willpower to override my own fears, at least occasionally, but I recognise that it's not always as simple as that - and, as I say, it's taken me a looong time to reach even this point.

If you want to PM someone at any point about your concerns, then my inbox is open. Either way -- hang in there!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Red Caesar)
What you've said really resonates with me, so, even though I'm sure you already know this (you are studying psychology, after all!), but you are not at all alone.

I feel it's really difficult to talk to people online, too - over the years, I've signed up to the same Social Anxiety Support forum two or three times and promptly stopped visting because it made me uncomfortable. Facebook can be a pain too, but anyway...

With regard to your case, I'm going to suggest you be straight-up with this guy. If he's a genuinely good guy, I'd hope (doesn't seem unreasonable to me, at least) that he'd be completely okay with you being anxious about using a webcam. If he causes a fuss about it, then, unfortunately, I'd say move along - which, really, really sucks when you've found someone who you can connect with or feel comfortable on some level with, but not using a web cam seems such a non-issue to me.

Regarding talking to people face-to-face, though, I'm still working through that myself, so I can't be of much use. I've just... gradually worked up the willpower to override my own fears, at least occasionally, but I recognise that it's not always as simple as that - and, as I say, it's taken me a looong time to reach even this point.

If you want to PM someone at any point about your concerns, then my inbox is open. Either way -- hang in there!
Thanks a bunch for the advice. It's nice to know others are out there. I'll be sure to message if I ever need support
Red Caesar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks a bunch for the advice. It's nice to know others are out there. I'll be sure to message if I ever need support
Cool. Cool, cool, cool. I'll be around, but hopefully you won't need to .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (184)
58.6%
I don't have everything I need (130)
41.4%

Watched Threads