Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend is desperate to have a mental illness Watch

Announcements

My best friend is great, but a lot of the time I can't stand to be around her. For some background info, I have been diagnosed with GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) and it's really not fun, and anyone also suffering knows this. I knew I had a problem and I needed help so I went to the doctors and got a diagnosis, rather than telling everyone I have a mental condition without knowing for sure.
    My friend, on the other hand, did not do this. She's never been diagnosed, and only self diagnoses using the internet, and is constantly saying things like "I have severe depression" and whenever the word depression is even mentioned she's like "haha me lmao" "same", and honestly it drives me nuts. She's so desperate to have something wrong with her to make her "unique" and "stand out". I know exactly how she works and thinks. She tells practically everyone she meets and it really annoys me, because I wouldn't dream of going around telling everyone about my disorder, and if she really had depression she wouldn't do that.
    Honestly there's so much more to say about people like this but I was wondering if you guys knew anyone like this; people that say they have a mental illness just for attention. It really, really grinds my gears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My best friend is great, but a lot of the time I can't stand to be around her. For some background info, I have been diagnosed with GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) and it's really not fun, and anyone also suffering knows this. I knew I had a problem and I needed help so I went to the doctors and got a diagnosis, rather than telling everyone I have a mental condition without knowing for sure.
    My friend, on the other hand, did not do this. She's never been diagnosed, and only self diagnoses using the internet, and is constantly saying things like "I have severe depression" and whenever the word depression is even mentioned she's like "haha me lmao" "same", and honestly it drives me nuts. She's so desperate to have something wrong with her to make her "unique" and "stand out". I know exactly how she works and thinks. She tells practically everyone she meets and it really annoys me, because I wouldn't dream of going around telling everyone about my disorder, and if she really had depression she wouldn't do that.
    Honestly there's so much more to say about people like this but I was wondering if you guys knew anyone like this; people that say they have a mental illness just for attention. It really, really grinds my gears.
    Unfortunately this is a thing and doesn't exactly help when you have a genuine mental health issue and nobody takes you seriously because some people fake it.

I know or have known a lot of people with things like depression and usually it's completely unsuspected because they don't generally talk about it (some talk about nothing else, but most keep it very quiet). I remember being a young teenager and being very shocked when I found out my outwardly chirpy friend was seriously depressed.

I'm waiting to get a professional mental health diagnosis but as an undiagnosed person I will not say I have anything other than issues with my mental health... as this is true.

On the other hand, constant attention seeking of this kind may be symptomatic of something else.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you really need to talk to her about this, my best mate's the exact same, try telling her how it makes you feel, and if she's a real friend she should stop. If she refuses, then, well, not much of a friend

(Original post by AnnieGakusei)
    Unfortunately this is a thing and doesn't exactly help when you have a genuine mental health issue and nobody takes you seriously because some people fake it.

I know or have known a lot of people with things like depression and usually it's completely unsuspected because they don't generally talk about it (some talk about nothing else, but most keep it very quiet). I remember being a young teenager and being very shocked when I found out my outwardly chirpy friend was seriously depressed.

I'm waiting to get a professional mental health diagnosis but as an undiagnosed person I will not say I have anything other than issues with my mental health... as this is true.

On the other hand, constant attention seeking of this kind may be symptomatic of something else.
    Exactly! My own parents won't take me seriously because "teenagers just do it for attention and don't know how hard life really is".
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Have you told her to go to a doctor about her "severe depression"? Maybe hearing it from a doc will convince her she's talking **** (if she is)?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you can never say for sure whether somebody does or doesn't have an illness of some kind (unless you're a professional), but I agree that it's incredibly irritating when people self-diagnose using the internet and then state that they *definitely* have a particular disorder. It just makes it harder for people who do have a diagnosis to be taken seriously. It also makes life more difficult in the long run for the person doing the self-diagnosis, because they're not going to be able to get targeted support unless they know exactly what they're dealing with, and they won't be able to access treatment without a formal diagnosis (even support services at most universities require medical evidence of your condition before you can access anything from them).

It makes slightly more sense that people might self-diagnose in places like the US, where they might not be able to afford to see a doctor, but when you can access a formal diagnosis for free through an NHS GP, it seems like the obvious thing to do.

ReputationRep:

tbh, most people don't need to visit the the doctor to tell them they are depressed.

if you are depressed for long enough, you'll know about it........
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This sort of behaviour is really annoying, especially when you have a mh condition yourself, but it can be a cry for help from somebody who doesn't know what to do.
    I suggest you have a chat with her and tell her about some things like seeing her GP, calling samaritans, asking school/ college about counselling etc.
    Lets face it, there's something wrong with her either way. She either has depression or such low self esteem that she feels this need for attention. Either way, those things should help her.

Past that, you may want to distance yourself a bit. I know it can suck because they're your friend, but that sort of behaviour just isn't helpful for you. You don't have to ditch her or anything, just give yourself some space so it doesn't get to you quite so much.

ReputationRep:
    There's a girl in my class who is very similar, she "has OCD, anxiety and depression", "her aunt is trying to kill her" and "her grandad died". I have experience with OCD in family members and while every case isn't the same she clearly does not have OCD she just likes things neat. Perhaps she does have mental health issues but she hasn't ever been to the doctors or been diagnosed. With the whole "my grandad died" thing, it's clearly fake since she has told us this multiple times (more than 6). She has also told us that she has to get injections into her heart every week and her dog is diabetic.

Your friend may have some sort of mental health issue, I do believe that people do know when something is wrong especially mentally, without professional help it is unlikely that they will get the correct diagnosis with the correct treatment. I've had friends who thought they were developing an eating disorder but when they went to see their GP it turned out to be depression.

ReputationRep:
    So many young people do this nowadays and I don't think it's their fault, especially when mental illnesses are sensationalised in films, media, etc. You should suggest to her to talk to her GP because self-diagnosis isn't reliable. If you aren't comfortable with her talking about depression like that, then you should tell her about your feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to see GP. Maybe she might actually be feeling deressed, maybe not but this should solve your problem either way or the other.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.