Lad Culture in Scottish Universities and the Promotion of Sexism Watch

loritheresa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am doing my dissertation on the issues of sexual harassment/gender injustice in Scottish universities due to a rise in the number of sexual violence cases. I will be concerned with a crisis of masculinity, looking at sexual harassment from male and female perspectives.

I would not consider myself a feminist, more of an individual who is keen to reveal a static truth behind this modern 'culture' and define it, and its impact on university students.

Do you consider that 'lad culture' is normalising sexual harassment/sexism?
(i.e. LadBible, UniLad)

- In 2010, the National Union of Students (NUS) published the 'Hidden Marks', a study of women students' experiences of sexual harassment and assault. This revealed a disturbing statistic that 68 per cent of respondents had been the victim of one or more types of sexual harassment on campus throughout their student experience. NUS have also published recent research showing that 50 per cent of participants identified "prevailing sexism", "laddism", and a "culture of harassment" at their universities.

Catcalling and groping in nightclubs is deemed 'normal' and part of a drinking culture, arguably rather than a lad culture. But, I have done my research, I am immersed in the university life and have been for 3 years, so I am fully confident that lad culture is a phenomenon.

Any feedback from girls and guys would be appreciated please and thank you
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by loritheresa)
Would you consider yourself a "lad"?
What on a world is that?
anacatriona
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean sometimes the guys in my group have "lad sashes" or say stuff like "lads only" when meeting up, and sure it doesn't let girls in, but honestly I think "girls nights" are much more popular around the whole world than boys or lads night.

im not saying it doesn't normalise sexism or anything. as far as I can tell it doesn't normalise sexual harassment because at least in my group the "lad culture" has nothing to do with hanging out with girls OR with harassing, cat calling or talking about them or anything.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does being immersed in the drinking, clubbing side of university make you use certain behaviours or language, which may be deemed sexist/offensive?
Does that only apply to men though?

Could it not be reasonably argued that the rise in cases is due to the strength of the feminist movement, encouraging more women to come forward, and that there's not really any evidence to suggest that the actual instances of it happening has gone up?
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In private groups, guys and girls chat **** that shouldn't leave the group and occasional jokes comes out that are racist sexist etc. I dont see the problem since it's not directed at anyone and isnt actually meant in a harmful way. I think mass media campaigns into "lad culture" have created a bigger problem than it ever was
GonvilleBromhead
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am doing my dissertation on the issues of sexual harassment/gender injustice in Scottish universities due to a rise in the number of sexual violence cases.

I would not consider myself a feminist, more of an individual who is keen to reveal a static truth behind this modern 'culture' and define it, and its impact on university students.

Would you consider yourself a "lad"?

If yes, would you say this label is harmful to people's perception of you? Or harmful to others?

Does being immersed in the drinking, clubbing side of university make you use certain behaviours or language, which may be deemed sexist/offensive?

Do you feel pressured into being part of a group of 'lads'?

Where do you draw the line on 'banter'?

Do you consider that 'lad culture' is normalising sexual harassment/sexism?
(i.e. LadBible, UniLad)

Any feedback from girls and guys would be appreciated please and thank you
You'll find what you're looking for. You want to see gender injustice? You'll see it - there will be 100 articles by some nobody doctor of a non-degree who is convinced the fact it was raining on thursday was a patriarchal conspiracy to ruin her lesbian date. Uni is a hotbed of confirmation bias - I've never had less respect for the opinions of doctors and academics since starting uni as many of them seem to talk totally out of their arse going so far as to state outright contradictions for example in our law around sexual assault lecture they said 'it's a myth men can't be raped by women in law' and then in the same lecture 'men cannot, under the Act, be raped by women'.

The 'lad' label is meaningless. It's just a way to describe basically drinking and messing around which 90% of blokes do - so by technicality, yes.

Harmful? No. I've never been punched for being 'a lad' and it doesn't really bother me what they might be thinking as I don't know them from Adam. I don't see how first impression viewpoints are 'harmful'. It's how we judge literally everyone unless we're blind, you see someone before you talk to them.

My general manner is sometimes deemed 'offensive' and in the current climate everything can be called sexist if people try hard enough - what people deem it is essentially irrelevant as they just assume my intent and motive. But to answer the actual question, no because it isn't 'making' me behave like anything

No, I don't feel pressured.

Nowhere. If a joke offends or upsets you unless you have a very good reason ie a sexual assault victim not liking rape jokes then you're just imposing your world view onto other people and are basically being selfish in expecting them to conform to suit you. Having said that if you're clearly upsetting someone then stop.

No. Nothing normalises those actions any more which is why people are 'calling out' the dumbest things to try and dig examples up from under a rock because most of the legitimate examples have become socially unacceptable.
Acend1992
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This simply doesn't exist, but where it does exist, for example in Islamic communities and communities of immigrants, there is absolute silence.

Better not offend someone ! Because a few drunk men shouting something is much worse than female genital mutilation.
Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're damn right Scottish universities promote sexism. The Edinburgh Students Union recently declared itself as a feminist union...
Alpha Boi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lad culture is a fiction of feminists and has led to multiple accusations of false rape.
loritheresa
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=anacatriona;73910368]I mean sometimes the guys in my group have "lad sashes" or say stuff like "lads only" when meeting up, and sure it doesn't let girls in, but honestly I think "girls nights" are much more popular around the whole world than boys or lads night.

im not saying it doesn't normalise sexism or anything. as far as I can tell it doesn't normalise sexual harassment because at least in my group the "lad culture" has nothing to do with hanging out with girls OR with harassing, cat calling or talking about them or anything.

I'm not saying that all groups of boys are instantly placed into this category. I am merely drawing attention to a culture at university whereby male students consume alcohol on nights out, and aim to get with girls. In particular, fresher's week.. I have witnessed it myself. It is almost like an initiation. I also follow enough Uni pages (for this purpose) to see for myself online, the promotion of "hook-up" culture as well. I am also not forgetting that female students are involved in this hook-up culture, it's just for my personal dissertation I am discussing male's battling with a masculine identity and the impact it has on female student's and their university experience, as I need to remain focused on one area.

'Lad culture' is prevalent. Defined by NUS as a "pack mentality" whereby 'banter' involves misogynistic, sexist, and homophobic jokes and offensive language. At what point does harmful language stop being acceptable? Yes, there is concerns with freedom of speech, but university life is undoubtedly gendered to some degree.
loritheresa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alpha Boi)
Lad culture is a fiction of feminists and has led to multiple accusations of false rape.
Can you back up this point with any facts or insight? How do you know there has been "multiple accusations of false rape"?

Is there a way that you, personally, can know for certain whether a rape accusation is fake or not?
loritheresa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acend1992)
This simply doesn't exist, but where it does exist, for example in Islamic communities and communities of immigrants, there is absolute silence.

Better not offend someone ! Because a few drunk men shouting something is much worse than female genital mutilation.

I am not trying to draw comparisons between which countries and communities are worse off when it comes to sexism. I am educated enough to know what goes on all over the world. My focus, like I said, is on Scottish universities. I am writing an undergraduate dissertation, not trying to change the world...

It is a culture that does exist. And a culture that plays a part in sexual violence. I am not saying it directly causes it, it contributes to the acceptance and desensitisation to sexist language and behaviour. This issue has affected 1 in 7 women at university.

It is affecting women here, that is my point.
loritheresa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Does that only apply to men though?

Could it not be reasonably argued that the rise in cases is due to the strength of the feminist movement, encouraging more women to come forward, and that there's not really any evidence to suggest that the actual instances of it happening has gone up?

I definitely see your point. However, 'lad culture' is stone-age... It's just now displayed across new platforms. The rise in female university students would surely see a rise in sexual harassment?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The rise in female university students would surely see a rise in sexual harassment?
Don't assume. Check.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (143)
24.49%
Pop (142)
24.32%
Jazz (26)
4.45%
Classical (32)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (103)
17.64%