The Student Room Group

Dropping out of university twice?

Has anybody ever done this and what was your experience afterwards? Long story short, but I dropped out of university in December as I wasnt enjoying my course, however made a great bunch of friends in that time. This year I decided to come back to the same university, and I'm only 3 weeks in and already hate my course, I dont click with my flat mates & I've hardly made any close friendships on my course.

I've decided I'm going to stay in University until I secure a job at home and then drop out, even though this might take a while. Is this a bad idea?
Original post by fabu78yu737
Has anybody ever done this and what was your experience afterwards? Long story short, but I dropped out of university in December as I wasnt enjoying my course, however made a great bunch of friends in that time. This year I decided to come back to the same university, and I'm only 3 weeks in and already hate my course, I dont click with my flat mates & I've hardly made any close friendships on my course.

I've decided I'm going to stay in University until I secure a job at home and then drop out, even though this might take a while. Is this a bad idea?

It's doable, but remember you won't have funding for year 1 if you go back again, as you've used 2 out of your 4 years of funding, but I can't give you specifics on how it affects you unfortuatnely
I am a little bit worried that you stay at university until you find a job and then quit. Bear in mind considerations with student finance as the other poster said. If you took this course of action, what job would you apply for?

Also consider why you applied to university in the first place. Was it to get a job in a certain field? Does quitting uni harm your career ambitions? For some people, it takes time to settle and make friends and start enjoying the course. Is there any chance this could be the case for you?
Are you still close to the friends you made in your first time?
Stick it out, I promise you that things do get better. I have been in this situation before and know. Getting thorough First Year when I thought I couldn't was one of the best things I have ever done.
Reply 5
Original post by Churchill1945
Stick it out, I promise you that things do get better. I have been in this situation before and know. Getting thorough First Year when I thought I couldn't was one of the best things I have ever done.
Thank you!! I hope so, just stressed atm!
Reply 6
Original post by cheesecakelove
Are you still close to the friends you made in your first time?
I am, just not as close as before. Most of them are now living with people from their course, so I dont want to follow them around all the time because I have nobody else!
Original post by fabu78yu737
I am, just not as close as before. Most of them are now living with people from their course, so I dont want to follow them around all the time because I have nobody else!

You can still hang out with them from time to time, after all, you became friends for a reason and it is nice to see familiar faces! In terms of not being close to course mates or flat mates, have you tried attending lots of societies? You can meet a lot of people and make friends this way. Many of the friends that I made were from societies and attending events.

Quick Reply

Latest