Shockez
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi I need help with this question from biology textbook plz.

Explain how structure of cellulose is related to its function

thx
n1cole
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
cellulose has hydrogen bond cross links between th straight parallel layers which increases strength for it to act as a cell wall?
haseebj49
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Shockez)
Hi I need help with this question from biology textbook plz.

Explain how structure of cellulose is related to its function

thx
Is this an exam question? If so, how many marks?

Cellulose consists of beta-glucose molecules linked with 1-4 glycosidic bonds. This forms a long chain of glucose monomers. These chains also have crosslinks between them every so often which are hydrogen bonds. This increases the strength of the polymer making it ideal for use in cell walls to keep the cell from bursting due to osmotic gains or loss. To add even further strength, the molecules are grouped to form microfibrils which in turn are grouped to form fibres.

Hope this helps...
~Fractal~
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Almost every 3rd amino acid is glycine - which has the simplest (smallest) R group. This allows the structure to be tightly wound up. Also, hydrogen bonds form between individual strands as well as bonds made between the parallel fibre's R groups. All of this strengthens the protein, giving it the tensile strength of mild steel.
Shockez
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by haseeb_jarral)
Is this an exam question? If so, how many marks?

Cellulose consists of beta-glucose molecules linked with 1-4 glycosidic bonds. This forms a long chain of glucose monomers. These chains also have crosslinks between them every so often which are hydrogen bonds. This increases the strength of the polymer making it ideal for use in cell walls to keep the cell from bursting due to osmotic gains or loss. To add even further strength, the molecules are grouped to form microfibrils which in turn are grouped to form fibres.

Hope this helps...
4 marks & thanks for the explanation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (57)
29.84%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.09%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.62%

Watched Threads