The Student Room Group

Failed 2nd Year

So I didn't pass 2nd Year Maths by one module, but I hated the course and was miserable throughout. I could try to appeal, and I know that if I work harder I'll be able to get good marks. (Just good though).

But that was the problem: that I couldn't find the motivation to work hard. This is of note because anyone who knows me will say I was the hardest worker throughout all of school, and I work incessantly whenever I'm doing something I don't actively dislike. It's not like I was going out all the time or blazing or anything. I just hated every second.

I would try the course again, since that is the easiest option, but all it made me do was isolate myself, stay in my room all day and be depressed (not medically, although it's very possible. I don't know; I'm not a psychiatrist).

I don't know what to do now though. I've already wasted £28k, and even though I'd like to pick up a different course that I'd enjoy more, I'm not sure I should whether it's wise to get myself further in debt.

Plus, rushing to make a decision is what got me into this predicament in the first place, so it's probably sensible to take a year out, even if I did want to go back, but I'm not getting any younger.

Sorry for the essay. So much is going through my mind.
Any advice? What do you think I should do?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by heartcrush
So I didn't pass 2nd Year Maths by one module, but I hated the course and was miserable throughout. I could try to appeal, and I know that if I work harder I'll be able to get good marks. (Just good though).

But that was the problem: that I couldn't find the motivation to work hard. This is of note because anyone who knows me will say I was the hardest worker throughout all of school, and I work incessantly whenever I'm doing something I don't actively dislike. It's not like I was going out all the time or blazing or anything. I just hated every second.

I would try the course again, since that is the easiest option, but all it made me do was isolate myself, stay in my room all day and be depressed (not medically, although it's very possible. I don't know; I'm not a psychiatrist).

I don't know what to do now though. I've already wasted £28k, and even though I'd like to pick up a different course that I'd enjoy more, I'm not sure I should whether it's wise to get myself further in debt.

Plus, rushing to make a decision is what got me into this predicament in the first place, so it's probably sensible to take a year out, even if I did want to go back, but I'm not getting any younger.

Sorry for the essay. So much is going through my mind.
Any advice? What do you think I should do?

I d agree that you should take some time out to figure out what you want to do , it's difficult realising that something isn't for you (I think I spent a good couple of weeks just trying to get my head round it when I dropped out of university) but if you know it isn't then don't dedicate anymore of your time to it.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I d agree that you should take some time out to figure out what you want to do , it's difficult realising that something isn't for you (I think I spent a good couple of weeks just trying to get my head round it when I dropped out of university) but if you know it isn't then don't dedicate anymore of your time to it.

What did you end up doing?
Original post by heartcrush
What did you end up doing?

I got a retail job whilst deciding what to do, i now work in a pharmacy (i dropped out of nursing, so i had a good think about what i did like and found a job round that).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending