The Student Room Group

Medicine and poor (?) GCSE’s

Deleted
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by cciaran
Hello,
I’ve been a bit concerned after receiving my GCSE results and their suitability to applying for Medicine following my A levels. Although, I know it’s still early and of course it’s my A levels, UKCAT score, relevant work experience and personal statement that matter also.

My main question was that I was off for 7 months in school as I was in hospital for my eating disorder. I regularly missed classes this year for many appointments. My concentration was severely affected and I found it extremely difficult to revise and do work in class. As a result, this meant I did not perform to my highest potential. Can I apply for extenuating circumstances for something like this?

My GCSE’s are 4A*s, 4A’s and a B. The A includes English language and A*A for double Award Science.

Unfortunately the B is in Mathematics, I would be willing to repeat it and get my A, although I was told universities disregard resists and use the first grade. Is this true?
I apologise for the extremely long message and I know that Tsr is flooded with “I got 16A*s and 1A can I get into Medicine?” ://

So assuming I do fantastic on the UKCAT and get work experience (I’m starting my hospital placement in 2/3 weeks). Is there any chance I can get in anywhere? Assuming I get AAA+

your GCSE grades are good for medicine, tbh its all about Alevel, UKCAT, personal statement and work experience. I admit there are some medical schools which require a certain amount of A* in individual subject e.g Birmingham. I'm here planning to do medicine with 1A* 4As 6Bs in gcse so dw focus on ur alevels atm.
Reply 2
Original post by MRZ_2001
your GCSE grades are good for medicine, tbh its all about Alevel, UKCAT, personal statement and work experience. I admit there are some medical schools which require a certain amount of A* in individual subject e.g Birmingham. I'm here planning to do medicine with 1A* 4As 6Bs in gcse so dw focus on ur alevels atm.

Okay, thank you so much :-) good luck

Quick Reply

Latest