The Student Room Group

Want to leave uni - pregnant?

Hello! Two days before I moved to uni in London, I found out that I am pregnant. Nearly two weeks in and I am struggling hard with no support around me. I've spoken to lecturers who want to help me through my first year. But I am five hours away from home and it is giving me a lot of anxiety - I just want to be with my family and boyfriend during these few months! Along with this, I will have to travel back every few weeks for appointments (midwife, GP, and orthodontist) which is costing me a lot of money, and I will miss class.
At the beginning, I honestly thought I could do this, but it is getting harder to be alone in London. I've already began getting morning sickness and tiredness, so I'm trying my hardest to go to every class, but sometimes it simply isn't possible.
I want to defer my studies for 2 years and then enrol at a uni closer to home, thus I will commute and the baby will be slightly older. However, I am worried about my financial issues. If I leave now, I will still have to pay my accommodation. Will I still get my student loan, or do I have to pay that out of my own pocket? Will I have to pay any money back? Someone please help, I'm stressing out. Thank you in advance
Original post by Brook2106
Hello! Two days before I moved to uni in London, I found out that I am pregnant. Nearly two weeks in and I am struggling hard with no support around me. I've spoken to lecturers who want to help me through my first year. But I am five hours away from home and it is giving me a lot of anxiety - I just want to be with my family and boyfriend during these few months! Along with this, I will have to travel back every few weeks for appointments (midwife, GP, and orthodontist) which is costing me a lot of money, and I will miss class.
At the beginning, I honestly thought I could do this, but it is getting harder to be alone in London. I've already began getting morning sickness and tiredness, so I'm trying my hardest to go to every class, but sometimes it simply isn't possible.
I want to defer my studies for 2 years and then enrol at a uni closer to home, thus I will commute and the baby will be slightly older. However, I am worried about my financial issues. If I leave now, I will still have to pay my accommodation. Will I still get my student loan, or do I have to pay that out of my own pocket? Will I have to pay any money back? Someone please help, I'm stressing out. Thank you in advance

You might have to find a replacement for your tenancy and you would have to pay the loan back, student finance will sometimes agree to payment plans if you re struggling.
How many possible fathers does it have?
If you leave your course now, it is possible to get loans for when you return to study. If you have already been paid some of your student loan, you will have to pay this back.

In terms of your accommodation, are you able to find someone who could take on your contract?

Please don't worry too much. Focus on yourself and your baby. University is always an option you can revisit in the future if you wish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending