Do people with bad gcse results end up doing bad at a-level automatically Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Title . Just something i thought i put out there , if you did bad/not as good as others or as expected in gcse's does that mean you're more or less destined to do bad in a-level despite putting in an immense amount of effort in every way , i only got B's in my science at gcses and my tutor (who is a chem teacher) said i was gonna fail , even though she has no idea what i'm capable of ,someone help
Chris Skube
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. People do well at GCSE and badly at A-level and vice-versa.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Chris Skube)
No. People do well at GCSE and badly at A-level and vice-versa.
really?
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No because your A level results are independent of your GCSE results
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SGHD26716)
No because your A level results are independent of your GCSE results
could you please explain what u mean by this
Chris Skube
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
really?
Obviously. Just look on TSR, there are plenty of stories. Chances are if you give a damn or mature a little, you'll realise you ****ed up in the past and will do everything you can to fix things.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
could you please explain what u mean by this
Having an average set of GCSE results doesn't mean you're doomed to fail A level.

Just work hard and don't worry
username2359841
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
GCSEs are totally different to A-level. To use myself as an example, I coasted through school up until my GCSEs, never did any work or put in any effort and came out with two As (core and additional science) and mostly Bs. When I then started year 12 suddenly I had to put some effort in but I wasn't willing so I ended up completely failing.

For some people it's the other way around. Some people don't do so well at GCSE but then really buckle down at A-level, which can be for a variety of reasons; there's a youtuber called Ibz Mo who went from terrible GCSEs to outstanding A-levels.
username2926188
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lewjen)
GCSEs are totally different to A-level. To use myself as an example, I coasted through school up until my GCSEs, never did any work or put in any effort and came out with two As (core and additional science) and mostly Bs. When I then started year 12 suddenly I had to put some effort in but I wasn't willing so I ended up completely failing.

For some people it's the other way around. Some people don't do so well at GCSE but then really buckle down at A-level, which can be for a variety of reasons; there's a youtuber called Ibz Mo who went from terrible GCSEs to outstanding A-levels.
He didn't do terrible. Not getting any A's doesn't suddenly mean it's terrible.
username2359841
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emerald7770)
That's not what I meant with my post. I was simply trying to emphasise the point that for a lot of people, GCSE results can bear no relation to performance at A-level.
llegalbeagle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, I did got pretty mediocre GCSE's (mostly B's) but excelled at A-level as I could study subjects I loved in depth - also having a specific goal in mind or grades you need to get (i.e. for university) helps to motivate you to study harder.
Yaboi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did better at A level than GCSE, not to say I did well but you can definitely do better at A level than GCSE.
username2926188
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did **** at gcse because I didn't work hard but I know that I can get AAB when I work hard this year.
Anonymous #1

yeh i heard of him , he's really inspirational guy
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Chris Skube)
Obviously. Just look on TSR, there are plenty of stories. Chances are if you give a damn or mature a little, you'll realise you ****ed up in the past and will do everything you can to fix things.
(Original post by SGHD26716)
Having an average set of GCSE results doesn't mean you're doomed to fail A level.

Just work hard and don't worry
(Original post by llegalbeagle)
No, I did got pretty mediocre GCSE's (mostly B's) but excelled at A-level as I could study subjects I loved in depth - also having a specific goal in mind or grades you need to get (i.e. for university) helps to motivate you to study harder.
That's not what I meant with my post. I was simply trying to emphasise the point that for a lot of people, GCSE results can bear no relation to performance at A-level.
(Original post by Emerald7770)
(Original post by Yaboi)
I did better at A level than GCSE, not to say I did well but you can definitely do better at A level than GCSE.
alright well thank you everyone for your feedback , you've given me great confidence to do better
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's definitely a correlation between people doing well at gcse and a-level.
AAJacobs
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't worry about this at all. i got 6 Bs at gcse and only one A, in french. dont let this sort of fear make you feel like you've already lost. you got what you needed,you deserve your place. now make sure you're diligent and get even better grades for a2!
Rohit_Rocks10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
really?
Yh mate! I know a person who had Bs and Cs in GCSE and 3A*s in A2. And i also know someone who had 11A*s at GCSE and 3Cs at A2 lmao. It all depends on your attitude towards the subject. If you think you had an A* at GCSE by reading the night before the exam and think you will do the same with A2 then you my friend are in deeep trouble!
Rohit_Rocks10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by black1blade)
There's definitely a correlation between people doing well at gcse and a-level.
Read post no. 18
Miss.Unknow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah...know a friend that got C's in GCSE but B's and A's in A level, compared to another friend who got A*'s in GCSE and was so arrogant and confident that they'll get the same results at a levels ended with a UED
So..WORK HARD NO MATTER WHAT
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.81%
Impatient (217)
12.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise