phonetics Watch

mutaka cisse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
what is the relevance of phonetics in daily life?
SHUGURU
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mutaka cisse)
what is the relevance of phonetics in daily life?
If you speak or listen to anybody then phonetics is involved. Although it might not seem 'relevant' to study it in detail, it certainly is relevant if you have gone through speech acquisition (learning to speak as a child), if you speak to people of different ages and if you speak to people from different regions with different accents.

Babies learn by babbling which phonemes they need to communicate in the language that people around them use. They then get rid of sounds they don't need, while learning to put two sounds together, then put words together, and so on until they are completely fluent in the language. Some might say that phonetics is the basis of language, it's certainly one of the smallest elements of speech.

Different languages have different sounds altogether in their languages that you don't have the ability to produce because you've never needed to in order to communicate.

Idk, it's quite interesting when you think about it. It's not like from day to day to need to know exactly what phonemes you're producing and how or why, but it can be very important for things like speech and language therapy, learning or teaching new languages, aiding child language acquisition, etc.
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try analysing a person's speech sound disorders without them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads