How to get an A* in English Literature A Level?

Watch
jasmine.cannn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am predicted an A but I want to study English at University and an A* would look good. Any tips for essay writing, revision, quotes etc? Thanks.
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To be honest, the most important thing is to be familiar with the specification'/markschemes. I dunno if they still use the "assessment objectives" structure but if they do you should know them well. Writing well is generally unimportant; I have seen exemplar essays which are written in a rather uninspired, clunky manner, but hit all the objectives and received full marks. As for quotes, I just collected a bunch in a word document with comments assigned to each one. If you know why a quote is important you're far more likely to remember it. This made up the bulk of my revision as I was also, of course, thinking about themes this way. Practice essays, especially from past papers, are very useful.

(Original post by jasmine.cannn)
I am predicted an A but I want to study English at University and an A* would look good. Any tips for essay writing, revision, quotes etc? Thanks.
01rulestown
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well my teacher said that you can tell if a essay actually answered the question by looking at it’s intro, and the first sentence of the following paragraphs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (19)
38.78%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
8.16%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (2)
4.08%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (13)
26.53%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (6)
12.24%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (5)
10.2%

Watched Threads