FTSE420
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I know that somebody made a thread covering the routes/path for entering the banking industry (e.g. insight day --> spring week --> summer analyst --> grad) so I am just wondering what the equivalent would be for consulting?

I am about to start my first yr at one of the MBB targets and would like to know the best way of approaching my goal of working at MBB/a strategy house. Is there anything I can really do in my first year to maximise my chances of getting onto an internship?

Thanks in advance!
midgetspinner
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just need to go to Oxbridge
FTSE420
Rep:
?
(Original post by midgetspinner)
Just need to go to Oxbridge
Yeah I start next week but is there anything else that can be done? All the banking recruitment seems much more structured than MBB?
midgetspinner
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FTSE420)
Yeah I start next week but is there anything else that can be done? All the banking recruitment seems much more structured than MBB?
Banking is more structured, indeed. While at university, I would recommend pursuing pro-bono consulting. These programmes are fairly well known and many people who now work as consultants completed them at university:

http://enactusuk.org/teams/

http://180dc.org/
username3037548
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
for mckinsey for instance, you just need to do a summer there and would apply 2nd year. not sure about the other 2 firms but would assume the same.

note that PwC and deloitte have good strat divisions, due to the mergers with Booz and Monitor.

tips:
- brush up on your case study skills by doing case studies here and there
- as mentioned, join a pro-bono consultancy group to understand the different matrixes used and the jargon
- apply to discover, mckinsey's version of a spring week
- apply to bcg's 12 month programme via rare recruitment... not sure when they open, email them
- start questioning the world... how many buses are moving in London at any given moment? how much profit does Waterloo station make per incoming train carriage? there is an approach to answering these questions and if you get that, not only will you suceed in any interview but you'll enjoy the job
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do an investment banking internship in your penultimate year.

I'm not even kidding.
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom)
Do an investment banking internship in your penultimate year.

I'm not even kidding.
this or big brand blue chip/tech internships

Posted from TSR Mobile
FTSE420
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
this or big brand blue chip/tech internships

Posted from TSR Mobile
I presume that strategy consulting internships should be number one priority though?
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by FTSE420)
I presume that strategy consulting internships should be number one priority though?
Yes, but you're unlikely to get one given that firms like Bain take on <10 interns each year.
FTSE420
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom)
Yes, but you're unlikely to get one given that firms like Bain take on <10 interns each year.
Oh right..what are the total grad intakes like?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (204)
62.2%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.66%
No- I want it (89)
27.13%
No- I don't want it (23)
7.01%

Watched Threads