Should euthanasia be legalised in the U.K? Watch

Tomas Darcy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi i just need a few opinions on whether euthanasia should be legalised in the u.k and if so, why?
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tomas Darcy)
Hi i just need a few opinions on whether euthanasia should be legalised in the u.k and if so, why?
We're a civilised country, of course it should be legalised. It will never happen though, there are far too many do-gooders who view lives with advanced dementia and conditions with unbearable pain as worth living.
Michael Spearing
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah it should becuause thanks to it we totally prank'd steve
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
We're a civilised country, of course it should be legalised. It will never happen though, there are far too many do-gooders who view lives with advanced dementia and conditions with unbearable pain as worth living.
You seem to be unaware of the difference between euthanasia (which is what we do to sick animals, who have no say in the matter), which is the subject of the thread, and assisted suicide, in which someone seeks assistance in ending his own life.

To implement euthanasia for humans would be utterly unacceptable. However, I am in favour of assisted suicide.

Never confuse the two.
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
You seem to be unaware of the difference between euthanasia (which is what we do to sick animals, who have no say in the matter), which is the subject of the thread, and assisted suicide, in which someone seeks assistance in ending his own life.

To implement euthanasia for humans would be utterly unacceptable. However, I am in favour of assisted suicide.

Never confuse the two.
I know the difference, clearly I have a different opinion to you.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know the difference, clearly I have a different opinion to you.
Fair enough. You believe it is the mark of a civilised country to decide to kill its citizens. I find that truly shocking.
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fair enough. You believe it is the mark of a civilised country to decide to kill its citizens. I find that truly shocking.
I believe that if those citizens don't know who they are, don't know what they're doing and can't do anything at all, they're not as 'human' as they were. In care homes for advanced dementia it's just like babysitting animals, as harsh as that sounds.
HeadHoncho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Never confuse the two.
Technically euthanasia for humans already exists in the form of life support withdrawal in which the patient may be unresponsive but the medical facts suggest life support is needlessly prolonging their life when it is clear they will not be able to live independently of such support, and then also to an extent DNR's.

You cant just say euthanasia for humans is wrong without making the distinctions between the different types of euthanasia, or rather it doesnt make for a strong/sound argument
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe that if those citizens don't know who they are, don't know what they're doing and can't do anything at all, they're not as 'human' as they were. In care homes with advanced dementia it's just like babysitting animals, as harsh as that sounds.
Let's hope that euthanasia is not made legal, immediately followed by you falling into a coma then. You have lost your humanity.
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let's hope that euthanasia is not made legal, immediately followed by you falling into a coma then. You have lost your humanity.
If the medical opinion was I could realistically recover from the coma, I wouldn't be a candidate for euthanasia. If the medical opinion was that I had no chance of recovering from the coma at all and would be a vegetable for the rest of my 'life', I'd be very happy to be euthanised.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HeadHoncho)
You cant just say euthanasia for humans is wrong without making the distinctions between the different types of euthanasia, or rather it doesnt make for a strong/sound argument
I say that assisted suicide is morally right. Turning off life support from a clinically dead person is not euthanasia at all as the person is already dead.

Euthanasia implies a positive action to kill someone, especially as advocated by Glassapple who advocates the deliberate killing of healthy but demented people.

Ceasing intervention to allow someone to slip away is not euthanasia.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the medical opinion was I could realistically recover from the coma, I wouldn't be a candidate for euthanasia. If the medical opinion was that I had no chance of recovering from the coma at all and would be a vegetable for the rest of my 'life', I'd be very happy to be euthanised.
I personally would not want to live without my brain or in enormous suffering and would want to end it, hence assisted suicide. However, killing some who has not expressed such a wish and intention is completely wrong.
username334839
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In principle I think it is a good idea to legalise euthanasia with strong checks and balances, accountability and rigorous scrutiny. However, I feel that in practice it would be difficult to implement without opening the door to abuse. Apparently we are a "civilised" country and so it should be legalised – I am not so sure about that.

Its just like the debate before abortion was legalised. Proponents argued that the process for abortions would be rigorous but in reality its like buying sweets from a shop. Now anyone can get an abortion with no questions asked.
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I personally would not want to live without my brain or in enormous suffering and would want to end it, hence assisted suicide. However, killing some who has not expressed such a wish and intention is completely wrong.
This is where the quality of life argument comes in, if you're living without your brain what kind of life is that? So what if you haven't expressed a wish or intention to end your life, I'm sure the vast majority of people would want it to end if they were like that. Why would you want to be kept alive with no functions, as your family and friends watch you die slowly over a number of years when there's no chance you'll recover?

People with advanced dementia are not 'healthy', parts of their brains have literally shrivelled and died. An awful lot of these people will have one or more comorbidities like chronic kidney disease, heart failure, COPD, cancer, etc. and are taking multiple medications to try and achieve some sort of 'baseline' so they don't die.
HeadHoncho
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I say that assisted suicide is morally right. Turning off life support from a clinically dead person is not euthanasia at all as the person is already dead.

Euthanasia implies a positive action to kill someone, especially as advocated by Glassapple who advocates the deliberate killing of healthy but demented people.

Ceasing intervention to allow someone to slip away is not euthanasia.
All youre doing is responding to active euthanasia, "ceasing intervention to allow someone to slip away" is passive euthanasia.

Further, if someone who is on life support is dead, why isnt their death certificate written there and then? Why is it done one life support has been withdrawn?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So what if you haven't expressed a wish or intention to end your life, I'm sure the vast majority of people would want it to end if they were like that.
You'll be extending this to fat people, or smokers, or tattooed people, or those with mental illnesses, or thoise with Downs Syndrome next. Where will it end?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HeadHoncho)
Further, if someone who is on life support is dead, why isnt their death certificate written there and then? Why is it done one life support has been withdrawn?
Could it be because bureaucratic processes have not caught up with medical science? Or because doctors are reluctant to upset relatives? Or because there is no easily-created opportunity to certify death? Or all of the above?
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'll be extending this to fat people, or smokers, or tattooed people, or those with mental illnesses, or thoise with Downs Syndrome next. Where will it end?
You've answered none of my points at all, you're just deflecting because you have no answers. As a society our idea of what humanity is has clouded our rational judgement. Yes there needs to be a principle of humanity, but to a sensible extent. It's not sensible at the moment.
HeadHoncho
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could it be because bureaucratic processes have not caught up with medical science? Or because doctors are reluctant to upset relatives? Or because there is no easily-created opportunity to certify death? Or all of the above?
Or maybe its to completely ensure that brain stem death has occurred rather than the patient being in a deep coma. The who idea of life and death is insanely complex and clearly medical science has allowed for its complexity before diagnosis of death. One could even reasonably argue by using the term 'life support' the patient is still alive and is just being supported in certain functions
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've answered none of my points at all, you're just deflecting because you have no answers. As a society our idea of what humanity is has clouded our rational judgement. Yes there needs to be a principle of humanity, but to a sensible extent. It's not sensible at the moment.
You don't have any points that require anything other than full agreement or complete disagreement. I have said I do not find it humane to kill people who have not asked for assisted suicide. Your value judgements about the lives of others merely emphasise the dangers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.13%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.74%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
18.97%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.13%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.03%
How can I be the best version of myself? (117)
30%

Watched Threads