The Student Room Group

219% tariff imposed by the US on Bombardier Jets for British and Canadian subsidies

post removed
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
DUP were pro-brexit, pro-trump, pro-isolation

They deserve for voting for a party like that.
Reply 2
Nothing like a good old trade war. I think if we retaliate, which would be wrong if we didnt, then we'd have to put to bed this idea of a swift free trade deal with the USA.
As soon as we leave the dastardly EU, we will sign a favourable free trade agreement with Trump to stop this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
DUP are pro-brexit.

This was always going to happen, Britain being at the bottom of the trade list.

We can retaliate all we want. We are now a small nation, a bit like North Korea
Boeing are trying to kill off the competition in a highly contested market before Bombardier grows. It wants a North American monopoly by the back door.

They are hedging bets that the UK has a supply of highly skilled aerospace engineers who can be poached from BAe and Airbus with the uncertainty of Brexit.

They also want indigenous manufacture within the European market to cut costs

The 'subsidy' claim is a hypocritical excuse. Boeing have too much to lose by not having a foothold in Europe.

Hold out. Boeing will not win this.
(edited 6 years ago)
So this is what Trump meant when he said we would be at the front of the queue. I wonder what other industries will get tarrifs on next?
Original post by Guru Jason
So this is what Trump meant when he said we would be at the front of the queue. I wonder what other industries will get tarrifs on next?

This is the opening round in a legal battle. It's big business and big business has always been dirty.

Boeing are just using the current political climate to it's advantage. No change in tactics there then.
Original post by uberteknik
This is the opening round in a legal battle. It's big business and big business has always been dirty.

Boeing are just using the current political climate to it's advantage. No change in tactics there then.

If I was May, I'd call out Trump to see if he would intervene to see if he truly thinks we would be worth it or not. This would be a good exercise to see what he really thinks of us.
Lol. This is what life outside the EU is gonna be like

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Lol. This is what life outside the EU is gonna be like

Being in or out of the EU has zero bearing on this. Airbus regularly face the same battles from Boeing.
Original post by Guru Jason
If I was May, I'd call out Trump to see if he would intervene to see if he truly thinks we would be worth it or not. This would be a good exercise to see what he really thinks of us.

There will, no doubt, be private conversations.

Politically though, Trump must be seen to uphold his promise of America first to his internal audience.

May must be seen to be getting the 'best deal' for the U.K.

Boeing must prove that any subsidies for the 'C' series aircraft have harmed it's own business. That will be difficult because Boeing does not make any 100 seat aircraft to compete in the regional market.

Moreover, there are several carriers in the U.S. who will claim Boeing are harming business if the tariffs are imposed, placing thousands of U.S. jobs at risk.

Canada may well cancel defence orders for the Boeing Super Hornet together with weapons and support contracts if Bombardier are harmed, and wait for the replacement F35's from Lockheed Martin. This will itself boost U.K. supply chain sales since we produce significant parts for that aircraft. The U.K. can also cancel upcoming defence contracts with Boeing.

So this is not a simple issue, there are many facets, but the key one for the May government is the coalition with the D.U.P. in Northern Ireland and retaining jobs.

The decision will be made in the courts though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
I suggest we start retaliating, by actually making sure US tech giants pay taxes.

i think america needs a regime change now
Original post by Mathemagicien
That will never happen. There's no US embassy there.

lmao prsom
So much for "muh special relationship". People need to realise that America couldn't give a rats ass about Britain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending