Jeremy Corbyn calls out Daily Mail editor. Watch

Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The Labour party conference has been held in Brighton over the past 5 days. During his closing speech, Jeremy Corbyn criticised mainstream media, largely focusing on the Daily Mail.

Corbyn suggests that traditional media "ran the campaign they always do, under the orders of their tax exile owners to trash labour at every turn".

He then continues to recall when, the day before the election, the DM ran 14 pages attacking the labour party. However, this was to no avail as the follow day their vote went up 10%. Corbyn joked, urging the Daily Mail editor to "Next time please make it 28 pages."

You can watch the clip and read more here.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7969851.html
What do you make of Corbyn calling out traditional media? Do newspapers still have the same power over voters ad before? Do you trust media outlets like Sky and the BBC? Is Corbyn only challenging them because it's his party being criticised?

Where do you get your news from?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The paper that supported the Blackshirts are not going to support Labour. Ignoring them could be a better tactic.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
Is Corbyn only challenging them because it's his party being criticised?
Better to be challenging the media instead of inviting them to dinner, like Mrs May does.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
Better to be challenging the media instead of inviting them to dinner, like Mrs May does.
Every PM in the last 40 years has courted the media. Corbyn will be no different to papers supporting his campaign for PM.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
Every PM in the last 40 years has courted the media. Corbyn will be no different to papers supporting his campaign for PM.
Do you actually have any evidence to support that?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
Conjecture at this stage, as no one observes his movements that closely, but simply he will do so because he will be advised to. He is known for following the advice of his PR managers, note the lovely suit and strong red ties.

He has already lied and participated in dastardly political spin -- remember that empty train -- so I don't see why he wouldn't follow the path other politicians near ubiquitously have followed.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Conjecture at this stage, as no one observes his movements that closely, but simply he will do so because he will be advised to. He is known for following the advice of his PR managers, note the lovely suit and strong red ties.

He has already lied and participated in dastardly political spin -- remember that empty train -- so I don't see why he wouldn't follow the path other politicians near ubiquitously have followed.
As I recall, Corbyn was eventually proven right about traingate, it was Virgin Trains who lied about the number of seats available.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
As I recall, Corbyn was eventually proven right about traingate, it was Virgin Trains who lied about the number of seats available.
Hardly proven right. CCTV showing that one area of the train was heavily crowded at one point in time.

The original CCTV showed him walking past empty seats to go sit on the floor. Political opportunism at its best. As I said, he is no different to the other political elite, so don't expect him to eschew the company of media titans.
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
Are you seriously claiming that Corbyn and his team have not cultivated friendly media, such as the Guardian and the Mirror?
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
Huh? It was precisely the opposite; Corbyn was proven to be a liar by the CCTV. There were free seats which he walked past in order to do a staged photo op
basicallyshrek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

just gonna leave dis here k
AlexanderHam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by basicallyshrek)
just gonna leave dis here k
Ugh. Leader-worship and the cult of personality are very unattractive.

I don't want a left-wing personality cult. If it's all about Jeremy, then it's an implicit admission that one has no real political ideas.

It should be about the ideas, the goals, not the individuals.
basicallyshrek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AlexanderHam)
Ugh. Leader-worship and the cult of personality are very unattractive.

I don't want a left-wing personality cult. If it's all about Jeremy, then it's an implicit admission that one has no real political ideas.

It should be about the ideas, the goals, not the individuals.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you seriously claiming that Corbyn and his team have not cultivated friendly media, such as the Guardian and the Mirror?
I'm not claiming anything at all. I'm waiting to see if someone will actually produce some evidence to a claim already made.

Huh? It was precisely the opposite; Corbyn was proven to be a liar by the CCTV. There were free seats which he walked past in order to do a staged photo op
This is what I was referring to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41036937

I don't think calling it "staged" is particularly fair, given the circumstances.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He is a social-agitator peddling nothing but divisiveness and hatred, that's what he is. Him and his mates, they depend upon the politics of fear as much as the rocket boy depends on convincing his subjects the Marines are just outside Pyongyang. Very left wing, true masters at political quackery.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm pretty sure some footage was released recently showing that the seats were actully occupied, but you couldn't see it from the one particular frame that Virgin chose to release.

As for the personality cult thing, I agree that it's annoying and a bit cringeworthy, but I think that's unavoidable in this situation when Corbyn is seen as "the only one" standing up for this particular set of views, so all the attention is focused on him. He stands out as different, so those who like that end up gathering around him, and only him.

Kind of like the personality cult around Farage when he was seen as one of the few politicians challenging the pro-EU consensus, and he bore the brunt of all the media attention (except for when some random UKIP member or representative did something stupid).
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hardly proven right. CCTV showing that one area of the train was heavily crowded at one point in time.

The original CCTV showed him walking past empty seats to go sit on the floor. Political opportunism at its best. As I said, he is no different to the other political elite, so don't expect him to eschew the company of media titans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47fqjA8CwGE
The seats either had a ticket on, or had someone sitting on them.

Indeed a number of passengers were not able to find seats on the train.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zhog)
He is a social-agitator peddling nothing but divisiveness and hatred, that's what he is. Him and his mates, they depend upon the politics of fear as much as the rocket boy depends on convincing his subjects the Marines are just outside Pyongyang. Very left wing, true masters at political quackery.
Yawn.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Corbyn will be no different to papers supporting his campaign for PM.
Name me a paper that supports Corbyn...

Apart from the rise of the "New Media" outlets like Evolve etc, none of the traditional outlets have a clear pro Corbyn outlook.
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Daily Mail is a great news source, filled with lies and casual sexism the masses suck it up because they like the hyperbolic drama.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.21%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.07%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (58)
14.95%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.9%

Watched Threads