The Student Room Group

do you have to mention in your ucas application that you're retaking?

I'm a gap year student and retaking privately. do i mention this in my application?
Original post by sss1233
I'm a gap year student and retaking privately. do i mention this in my application?

Yes, 101%
Original post by Ze Witcher
Yes, 101%

How do you mention it
Original post by sss1233
How do you mention it

Pretty sure you:
> Add your current grade in UCAS with the end date (2017 - I assume?)
> Add the same subject again in UCAS with the date (2018) with a pending grade - and then add the grade you're predicted on your reference
Pretty sure you:
> Add your current grade in UCAS with the end date (2017 - I assume?)
> Add the same subject again in UCAS with the date (2018) with a pending grade - and then add the grade you're predicted on your reference

Ohh.. can i ask you a few questions?
1. Is the teacher supposed to mention the predicted grade in your reference she's writing?
2. Does she also has to mention I'm a private candidate (because I'm not going college and paying the exams)
3. Also, if you do retake, do you have to retake all three? Or can you retake only or two if you want?
Original post by sss1233
Ohh.. can i ask you a few questions?
1. Is the teacher supposed to mention the predicted grade in your reference she's writing?
2. Does she also has to mention I'm a private candidate (because I'm not going college and paying the exams)
3. Also, if you do retake, do you have to retake all three? Or can you retake only or two if you want?

1) I'm not too sure as I've never written a reference before - @PQ could help?
2) Not sure again - above can help
3) If you're doing a new linear subject (which started in 2015) you would have to retake all three, yes. If you're not doing a reformed subject, an old one, then you can retake any modules of your preference.
1) I'm not too sure as I've never written a reference before - @PQ could help?
2) Not sure again - above can help
3) If you're doing a new linear subject (which started in 2015) you would have to retake all three, yes. If you're not doing a reformed subject, an old one, then you can retake any modules of your preference.

3. Noo with all 3 I mean do i have to retake all three A levels or can I only retake on if i want? E.g. If I got an E in one A level which is bad but I'm not confident in retaking that one again, I don't have to retake it right?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sss1233
3. Noo with all 3 I mean do i have to retake all three A levels or can I only retake on if i want? E.g. If I got an E in one A level which is bad but I'm not confident in retaking that one again, I don't have to retake it right?

Oh - you can retake whichever ones you like. I was referring to modules, by mistake.
Oh - you can retake whichever ones you like. I was referring to modules, by mistake.

Would retaking for example only one A level put me at a disadvantage? Eg. because there would be less pressure, or workload but by retaking only one I would still meet the entry requirements of my course?
Original post by sss1233
Would retaking for example only one A level put me at a disadvantage? Eg. because there would be less pressure, or workload but by retaking only one I would still meet the entry requirements of my course?

Depends on where you're applying, what subject you're retaking and what course at uni?

Quick Reply

Latest