How to sit Further Maths A level privately

Watch
username2132237
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm posting this on behalf of my younger brother who needed some help with this. He's on a gap year at the moment and decided he wanted to sit further maths A level at a private examination centre but he doesn't really know how to go about the modules.

If it helps, for maths the modules he took were C1, C2, S1, C3, C4 and S2.
Ed5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gemmac123455)
I'm posting this on behalf of my younger brother who needed some help with this. He's on a gap year at the moment and decided he wanted to sit further maths A level at a private examination centre but he doesn't really know how to go about the modules.

If it helps, for maths the modules he took were C1, C2, S1, C3, C4 and S2.
He needs to consult the exam board he wants to do - there is usually a section on the website for private candidates. All the info and further instructions will be on there.

They'll likely ask him to get in touch with the exams officer of a local school or college to arrange when he can physically take the exam.

If he's on edexcel I believe he needs FP1, FP2 and then 4 other modules of his choice such as mechanics, decision or the other FP ones.
username2132237
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ed5)
He needs to consult the exam board he wants to do - there is usually a section on the website for private candidates. All the info and further instructions will be on there.

They'll likely ask him to get in touch with the exams officer of a local school or college to arrange when he can physically take the exam.

If he's on edexcel I believe he needs FP1, FP2 and then 4 other modules of his choice such as mechanics, decision or the other FP ones.
Thanks for your help. I'll let him know. He's on edexcel because he did it for maths so he wanted the same board for further maths.

If you don't mind me asking, what other 4 modules would you recommend him to take?
Ed5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for your help. I'll let him know. He's on edexcel because he did it for maths so he wanted the same board for further maths.

If you don't mind me asking, what other 4 modules would you recommend him to take?
M1 and D1 are known to be pretty easy. Since he's done S1 and S2, it might also make sense to do another stats module given his experience with it.

M2 is tricky but idk about M3+. I've heard D2 is tedious but not too difficult

Here's their private candidates section btw
username2132237
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ed5)
M1 and D1 are known to be pretty easy. Since he's done S1 and S2, it might also make sense to do another stats module given his experience with it.

M2 is tricky but idk about M3+. I've heard D2 is tedious but not too difficult

Here's their private candidates section btw
So if he did FP1, FP2, M1, D1, S3 and one more module, it'd be fine?
Ed5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Should be. You can find the exact rules for it in their specification
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes. The final module could be any of the others available though M2, D2, would be the easiest options.

There's little point contacting the exam board other than looking at their website as they don't deal directly with candidates . He just needs to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept him as a private candidate and they will sort everything out. Must the simplest and cheapest place is likely to be wherever he did his A level maths so get him to ask tehm first.

When he completes this FM he needs to make sure that the centre cashes in everything he's done again - AS Maths and A level Maths as well as FM in order to free up his applied units in order to maximize his grades.
username2132237
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Yes. The final module could be any of the others available though M2, D2, would be the easiest options.

There's little point contacting the exam board other than looking at their website as they don't deal directly with candidates . He just needs to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept him as a private candidate and they will sort everything out. Must the simplest and cheapest place is likely to be wherever he did his A level maths so get him to ask tehm first.

When he completes this FM he needs to make sure that the centre cashes in everything he's done again - AS Maths and A level Maths as well as FM in order to free up his applied units in order to maximize his grades.
You lost me with the last sentence. What do you mean the centre needs to cash in his A level maths again?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes. That way the S1 and S2 can move into FM (and be replaced by other applied units) if this would give him better overall grades. If the Maths isn't cashed in again then the S1 and S2 are locked in Maths.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What does your brother want to do at uni? There are some modules that are more or less relevant depending what you want to do as a degree. For example, mechanics is most useful for physics and engineering, further pure most useful for maths, decision most relevant for computer science and stats for economics.
username2132237
Rep:
?
Yes. That way the S1 and S2 can move into FM (and be replaced by other applied units) if this would give him better overall grades. If the Maths isn't cashed in again then the S1 and S2 are locked in Maths.
So if he didn't cash in A level maths again and just decided to sit 6 modules for further maths, would it be a problem?
username2132237
Rep:
?
(Original post by black1blade)
What does your brother want to do at uni? There are some modules that are more or less relevant depending what you want to do as a degree. For example, mechanics is most useful for physics and engineering, further pure most useful for maths, decision most relevant for computer science and stats for economics.
He achieved an A* in A level maths and decided he wanted to sit Further Maths so he could apply to better universities for a Maths degree. So what modules would you recommend he takes?
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So if he didn't cash in A level maths again and just decided to sit 6 modules for further maths, would it be a problem?
Yeah because they swap around applied modules to maximize your grades. Say if in his further maths modules he got 80 ums in 5 of them and 79 in 1 (which was one of the applied modules), that would get him a grade B. However if he got an 80 in s1 or 2 and assuming he wasn't exactly on a grade boundary for normal maths, those modules could be swapped around and he would get an A in FM. Cashing in doesn't mean you have to resit any exams on anything and the maths grade will remain the same.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He achieved an A* in A level maths and decided he wanted to sit Further Maths so he could apply to better universities for a Maths degree. So what modules would you recommend he takes?
Most unis don't really mind which modules you do although I'd bet cambridge would have a preference for as many fp and mechanics as possible. For further my school is doing fp1-3, s2, m2, d1 (having done s1 and m1 at a-level) and I would consider that a balanced option. Personally I would rather the school had chosen not to do decision as it's quite boring although it is meant to be really easy. Did he do physics at a-level? If not I probably wouldn't recommend talking more than 1 mechanics module assuming he's going to be mostly self teaching. Just tell him the chose the modules he's interested in but I'd bet that fp2 and 3 will be the most challenging (the higher numbered mechanics modules might be harder) but relevant modules for him to take for a maths degree.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, but it might mean he gets a lower grade in Further maths. Say his Maths overall UMS was 530 and he'd got 100 in S2 and only 60 in M1, then IF the Maths is re-cashed-in, those 2 units could swap between Maths and FM to get him an extra 40 UMS in FM without changing the A* in Maths.

It costs nothing to cash in again and no effort on his part - it's just a couple of codes the Exam Officer submits to the exam board - so he'd be daft not to. I only mention it because an EO not used to FM might not realise it's the right thing to do.
username2132237
Rep:
?
Most unis don't really mind which modules you do although I'd bet cambridge would have a preference for as many fp and mechanics as possible. For further my school is doing fp1-3, s2, m2, d1 (having done s1 and m1 at a-level) and I would consider that a balanced option. Personally I would rather the school had chosen not to do decision as it's quite boring although it is meant to be really easy. Did he do physics at a-level? If not I probably wouldn't recommend talking more than 1 mechanics module assuming he's going to be mostly self teaching. Just tell him the chose the modules he's interested in but I'd bet that fp2 and 3 will be the most challenging (the higher numbered mechanics modules might be harder) but relevant modules for him to take for a maths degree.
Yes he did do Physics and he achieved an A* in that too.

No, but it might mean he gets a lower grade in Further maths. Say his Maths overall UMS was 530 and he'd got 100 in S2 and only 60 in M1, then IF the Maths is re-cashed-in, those 2 units could swap between Maths and FM to get him an extra 40 UMS in FM without changing the A* in Maths.

It costs nothing to cash in again and no effort on his part - it's just a couple of codes the Exam Officer submits to the exam board - so he'd be daft not to. I only mention it because an EO not used to FM might not realise it's the right thing to do.
So what is the process for cashing in again? What does he need to do? Also, he asked me to ask if you think it would be ok for him to retake S2 as he got 80 UMS and he feels he can bring that up.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Resitting s2 would probably be a good idea as to get an A* in further you need 90ums average in your best 3 "A2" units (basically any not core maths modules with a 2+ after the letter). I mean if he wants the most interesting albeit challenging combo then fp1-3, m1-3 would be the best although perhaps the prospective physics and maths student I am, I am a tad bias XD.
username2132237
Rep:
?
Resitting s2 would probably be a good idea as to get an A* in further you need 90ums average in your best 3 "A2" units (basically any not core maths modules with a 2+ after the letter). I mean if he wants the most interesting albeit challenging combo then fp1-3, m1-3 would be the best although perhaps the prospective physics and maths student I am, I am a tad bias XD.
Thanks for your help. If he still needs more help later, is it ok for me to ask you?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So what is the process for cashing in again? What does he need to do?
He just needs to ask the exam centre to make sure they cash-in his AS (code 8371) and A level maths (9371) at the same time as making his exam entries and the cash-in for A level FM (9372). It's free if you do it at that point.

Also, he asked me to ask if you think it would be ok for him to retake S2 as he got 80 UMS and he feels he can bring that up.
If he's aiming for an A* in FM then he probably ought to re-sit S2. To get an A* in FM you need:
  1. At least 480 UMS from the 6 units in FM
  2. At least 270 UMS from the best 3 A2 units in FM. (An A2 unit is anything that ends in a 2 or more, so S2, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, D2 etc)

S2 is probably the easiest of these units (though I much prefer Mechanics to Stats) so the more UMS he can gain from that the more room there is for messing up on, say, FP2 which is considerably harder and still getting an A*.
username2132237
Rep:
?
He just needs to ask the exam centre to make sure they cash-in his AS (code 8371) and A level maths (9371) at the same time as making his exam entries and the cash-in for A level FM (9372). It's free if you do it at that point.

If he's aiming for an A* in FM then he probably ought to re-sit S2. To get an A* in FM you need:
  1. At least 480 UMS from the 6 units in FM
  2. At least 270 UMS from the best 3 A2 units in FM. (An A2 unit is anything that ends in a 2 or more, so S2, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, D2 etc)

S2 is probably the easiest of these units (though I much prefer Mechanics to Stats) so the more UMS he can gain from that the more room there is for messing up on, say, FP2 which is considerably harder and still getting an A*.
Thank you so much! If he needs anymore help, I'll ask you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (441)
56.25%
I don't have everything I need (343)
43.75%

Watched Threads