The Student Room Group

Have you had to give up a future career dream because of your disability?

Just wanted to start a discussion about this really.

I wanted to be a veterinary nurse, but two weeks work experience showed me that my body wouldn't cope. I was often in entire bodily pain, I was on my feet all day, with no chance to sit down and when I did sit down for a short time at break, my joints would become very stiff. I realised I needed a job that let me sit down!

Scroll to see replies

Well I wanted to be a pilot but I realised my memory isn't that great and I don't feel competent enough to take on a job like that. Not really a disability but just a general reason.
Yes. I really wanted to go into forensic science. But for that, you need decent colour vision which I don't have.
Original post by qasim_96
Well I wanted to be a pilot but I realised my memory isn't that great and I don't feel competent enough to take on a job like that. Not really a disability but just a general reason.

I'm sure you're competent enough! :smile:

Original post by Tiger Rag
Yes. I really wanted to go into forensic science. But for that, you need decent colour vision which I don't have.

I didn't realise that was a requirement?!
Original post by hannxm

I didn't realise that was a requirement?!

Yes it is, sadly. My vision in general isn't that good so probably wouldn't be able to do that career if I wasn't colour blind.
Several years ago I wanted to be a psychotherapist, but after applying for a place on a peer mentoring type scheme offered by my high school (where students could talk to the peer mentors about any problems they were having), I was told that my communication skills weren't good enough and I wasn't selected to be on the team. I was really hurt by that reasoning, but I guess it was understandable since I've got Asperger's, and at the time, I was incredibly shy (though that has improved significantly now). I therefore abandoned my plan of studying psychology, and I'm doing a degree in geology now instead :smile:
Original post by hannxm

I wanted to be a veterinary nurse, but two weeks work experience showed me that my body wouldn't cope. I was often in entire bodily pain, I was on my feet all day, with no chance to sit down and when I did sit down for a short time at break, my joints would become very stiff. I realised I needed a job that let me sit down!
There are all sorts of things that I cannot do with my disability, fortunately, I've never wanted to be any of them.:colondollar:
I dropped out of nursing, because I wasn't coping, it wasn't just due to my disability but it made a difference, 12 hour shifts and dyslexia and dyspraxia just don't go well.
Reply 8
I had to drop out of uni twice because of my health issues and am currently unable to work either. Hopefully it will improve and I will be able to work soon enough, but I expect I'll always have some limitations because of my health.

I'm looking into the childcare side of things and I don't think I'll ever be up to teaching. I don't think I would be able to cope with that level of committent, but I also don't think I want to be quite so much in that formal learning environment though so I'm not too bummed about that.
What does worry me is that children are basically walking sacks of germs and I apparently don't do too well with germs. Half the reason I ended up dropping out second time is a bunch of infections that each put me out of action for at least a week or so. Although I may be able to manage my conditions better and get myself more fit to start work I'm actually pretty worried I'll end up with a repeat of that once I do start. At the end of the day there's no way I can stop my immune system being so messed up so I'm kinda scared my body won't be able to cope with kids on a regular basis.
Original post by Kindred
I had to drop out of uni twice because of my health issues and am currently unable to work either. Hopefully it will improve and I will be able to work soon enough, but I expect I'll always have some limitations because of my health.

I'm looking into the childcare side of things and I don't think I'll ever be up to teaching. I don't think I would be able to cope with that level of committent, but I also don't think I want to be quite so much in that formal learning environment though so I'm not too bummed about that.
What does worry me is that children are basically walking sacks of germs and I apparently don't do too well with germs. Half the reason I ended up dropping out second time is a bunch of infections that each put me out of action for at least a week or so. Although I may be able to manage my conditions better and get myself more fit to start work I'm actually pretty worried I'll end up with a repeat of that once I do start. At the end of the day there's no way I can stop my immune system being so messed up so I'm kinda scared my body won't be able to cope with kids on a regular basis.
:hugs:
Original post by hannxm

This is a great thread by the way.:yes:
Wrestling when I was younger because I broke my arm and never got into it after

I was going to be an avionics engineer but couldn't do it because I'm slightly colour-blind apparently?
Original post by Hirsty97
Wrestling when I was younger because I broke my arm and never got into it after

I was going to be an avionics engineer but couldn't do it because I'm slightly colour-blind apparently?
It wouldn't surprise me. One in eight men are colour-blind, and 75% of them don't know it.
@Banana00 thanks for the rep, have you had similar experiences?
I am unable to work currently because of my physical disability/chronic illness and MH issues. Even if my physical disability/chronic illness got better or I was better able to manage them (which isn't likely), I still don't think I'll be able to go into clinical psychology (which is my dream job) due to my MH problems being so bad, and I've already been told my case is too "severe and complex" so that sort of tells me I might never get better. I am trying to work on the MH stuff though, it's just difficult. :dontknow:
Just wanted to encourage anyone reading this topic not to give up if you have had to change plans due to a disability. I'm 35 now, but when i was younger my dream was to always to study medicine.

Needless to say i couldn't do it due to my health, and my problems only went downhill as i got older, i dropped out of my A Levels and drifted for a few years inbetween crappy jobs and periods on sick pay. However, sat at home and bored and unable to work, i got into my current 'job' working for myself doing something that I had no idea i'd love so much. It has allowed me to earn more money than i ever thought would be possible for me - although in recent years my business hasn't been doing so well, but nevertheless it's given me some great experiences and does allow me to be independent still.

Stay open to opportunities around you and take anything that comes your way that you feel fits into something you are capable of - you never know where it might lead. The world feels like it is ending at times but we pick ourselves up and move on, eventually, even if it takes years it doesn't matter, just keep going.
I wanted to be a police officer but I have a mental health condition. :frown:
Original post by Sabertooth
I wanted to be a police officer but I have a mental health condition. :frown:

Spoiler

Original post by 04MR17

Spoiler

Yes, yes you are. :naughty:

It's 10pm here. :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
Yes, yes you are. :naughty: