Everyone on my course has MacBooks help !! Watch

Cookies89
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so I needed a laptop and thought I wl wait till uni starts see what others are using etc and compare and everyone I mean everyone literally has a MacBook now I don't know if I'm being stupid but now I don't even know if I should get another named one cas everyone has MacBook or am I just being stupid I don't know
Claisen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Normative social influence? Look it up. It doesn't matter what other people use. Buy a laptop that is best for you, not what fits in with the crowd.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Get a Lenovo
rempanda
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cookies89)
Okay so I needed a laptop and thought I wl wait till uni starts see what others are using etc and compare and everyone I mean everyone literally has a MacBook now I don't know if I'm being stupid but now I don't even know if I should get another named one cas everyone has MacBook or am I just being stupid I don't know
It really depends. I've used both Macs and PCs. Currently on a Mac because for my course it's fab, but it does have a lot of disadvantages which for some subjects would make it kinda useless.

What are you studying?
Cookies89
Rep:
?
i just wanted to know the pros of a macbook etc its not that im running to the shop to buy what everyone else has
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are thousands of websites talking about the pros and cons of macs versus everything else. Go into an apple store and try them out if you haven't already. Factor in how much budget you have, and how much you're prepared to spend. Think about what you actually need for your course, and how much you want to follow the crowd.
rempanda
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cookies89)
i dont need any more replies on this forum seriously!! will get help elsewhere
Yikes, this thread turned sour quickly! Sorry, it's unfair to you - though, that is the nature of the internet, unfortunately!

If you're still checking this forum here's the difference in a PC vs Mac for me.
(Disclaimer: I'm not great with tech and so I advise checking with other sources too.)

Cons: When I studied art it struggled to run the more complex graphic software I needed - to run any complex software (including videos games if that's something you're into) Macs struggle unless you are willing to buy the highest spec option starting at around £1600.

Pros: I am now studying philosophy and religion and my Mac is wonderful at text based software and fantastic at organisation. Essay planning, mindmap apps, filing systems, etc. are all great. It also sends you reminders to back-up data etc. and is very easy to back up. If you have an iPhone/iPad it's incredibly easy to sync. I often take my iPad to uni and write notes, and once I'm home the info is already on my Mac.

Also worth noting:
the cost of a Mac includes the anti-virus software which is really handy and saves you money but there is a lot less free software available and you are likely to spend more buying apps.
If something goes wrong with your Mac iCare has got you sorted! I've had problems with my Mac in the past and I just pop into my local apple store and it's fixed for free each time!

You're welcome to ask me questions but I'm really not good with tech, I would advise going into PC world (or similar) and asking questions there.
Cookies89
Rep:
?
(Original post by rempanda)
Yikes, this thread turned sour quickly! Sorry, it's unfair to you - though, that is the nature of the internet, unfortunately!

If you're still checking this forum here's the difference in a PC vs Mac for me.
(Disclaimer: I'm not great with tech and so I advise checking with other sources too.)

Cons: When I studied art it struggled to run the more complex graphic software I needed - to run any complex software (including videos games if that's something you're into) Macs struggle unless you are willing to buy the highest spec option starting at around £1600.

Pros: I am now studying philosophy and religion and my Mac is wonderful at text based software and fantastic at organisation. Essay planning, mindmap apps, filing systems, etc. are all great. It also sends you reminders to back-up data etc. and is very easy to back up. If you have an iPhone/iPad it's incredibly easy to sync. I often take my iPad to uni and write notes, and once I'm home the info is already on my Mac.

Also worth noting:
the cost of a Mac includes the anti-virus software which is really handy and saves you money but there is a lot less free software available and you are likely to spend more buying apps.
If something goes wrong with your Mac iCare has got you sorted! I've had problems with my Mac in the past and I just pop into my local apple store and it's fixed for free each time!

You're welcome to ask me questions but I'm really not good with tech, I would advise going into PC world (or similar) and asking questions there.
Thank you very much ! Much appreciated 😃👍🏻
152mmOfDerp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What course are you doing?
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey there,

Don't worry about anyone else. Just get a machine that works for you and that you like. It's likely nobody else will care either!
Cookies89
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paracosm)
Hey there,

Don't worry about anyone else. Just get a machine that works for you and that you like. It's likely nobody else will care either!
thank you very much the only reason i started the thread i just wanted to figure what it is about the macbooks but i figured that thanks a lot for your help much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (161)
19.4%
Labour (422)
50.84%
Liberal Democrats (112)
13.49%
Green Party (46)
5.54%
Brexit Party (12)
1.45%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.72%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)