The Student Room Group

Advice for GCSE Astronomy Coursework

OK, so I'm doing GCSE astronomy as a private candidate, I don't have too much help to do the coursework with. So I'm wondering if anyone on here could help me a little bit please? Like what do I have to do? Which tasks are the easiest ones? How do I score high marks?

Thanks!
Original post by Kimi876
OK, so I'm doing GCSE astronomy as a private candidate, I don't have too much help to do the coursework with. So I'm wondering if anyone on here could help me a little bit please? Like what do I have to do? Which tasks are the easiest ones? How do I score high marks?

Thanks!

If you could show us exactly what you need (questions/syllabus/whatever) that would help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Aleph Null
If you could show us exactly what you need (questions/syllabus/whatever) that would help :smile:

I kind of just need help with the entire coursework of astronomy. I have no idea where to start! Did you take astronomy?
Original post by Kimi876

Thanks!

http://www.gcseastronomy.co.uk/space/coursework/coursework_tasks.html

http://www.rmg.co.uk/sites/default/files/GCSE%20Astronomy%20Coursework%20-%20Constellations.pdf

http://www.rmg.co.uk/sites/default/files/GCSE%20Astronomy%20Coursework%20-%20Shadow%20Stick%20or%20Sundial.pdf

lots of info online.

I got 100% in coursework. Did it on constellations and sundials. The key is to write as much as possible
Original post by Kimi876
I kind of just need help with the entire coursework of astronomy. I have no idea where to start! Did you take astronomy?

I did not, no. But I'm doing Physics at university, hoping to do a PhD in astronomy :biggrin:
Reply 6
I did not, no. But I'm doing Physics at university, hoping to do a PhD in astronomy :biggrin:

I see! Good luck!
Original post by Kimi876
I see! Good luck!

Good luck with your coursework! Astronomy is an amazing subject, I'm glad you chose it :smile:
Reply 8
I did GCSE Astronomy as well when I was in Year 11 as a private candidate.

The key is to structure your coursework as much as possible around the spec. Find some exemplars and use them as inspiration.

For my coursework (old spec), I did a shadow stick controlled assessment and a robotic telescope one. There are loads of robotic telescopes accessible to school students. There's one you can use via the National Schools' Observatory.

I would suggest you use a star chart to plan your observation sessions if you do decide to do a controlled assessment requiring images taken manually or via a robotic telescope. Some of the best times to observe are in October and November.

Good luck! :wink:
Reply 9

Good luck with your coursework! Astronomy is an amazing subject, I'm glad you chose it :smile:

They don't offer it at my college, so I'm having to sit it else where. But I don't mind because I really want to do it. :smile:
Original post by Kimi876
They don't offer it at my college, so I'm having to sit it else where. But I don't mind because I really want to do it. :smile:

That's what I like to hear :biggrin: (and so will universities, so make sure to put that in your Personal Statement, if you apply for university :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest