The Student Room Group

Westminster school - sixth form entry

Hey :smile: I am a girl who plans to apply to Westminster School for sixth form this year. I am absolutely in love with the school but I don't think I have much of a chance of getting in. I am applying for a full bursary or Queen's Scholarship and I am taking the Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics exam. Does anyone have any tips for the exam? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey I have also applied to Westminster School for a full bursary and am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German - I am not sure how to prepare either as some say there is no point in revising and others seem to do a lot of preparation.
Reply 2
Hiiiiiii I'm going for the school too but gonna do the biology French philosophy and theology and maths exam. I am scared because no one has like specified what it is gonna be on and everyone is saying it's basically testing the way you think. Also I'm going for a full bursery too.
hey, I’ve applied too! I’m hoping to do maths, geography, biology and french.
I’m not finding french too hard to revise for, mostly because in the courses booklet it gave a bit more detail on what would be in the exam than my other subjects did. basically I’ve been trying to write 180 words everyday using the headings in my textbook and doing the AS gap fill exercises from languagesonline. I’m a bit worried about the interview though (as if I’ll get that far, haha) as from what I’ve heard it’s mostly in french!
maths isn’t proving too difficult either because it said in the booklet that it’s just algebra, geometry and arithmetic. I’ve been using past papers from the UKMT to practice, as well as mymaths and my revision booklet just to make sure I know all the material back to front.
biology and geography are a little harder though as the booklet didn’t really give specifics on what will be in the test. I’m doing the exam for CLC as well though and they provided specifications for the exams so I’m using that for biology and just trying to make sure I’m confident about everything we’ve studied in geography and know all the terms.
Male applicant here - hoping to do Maths, History, Econ and English Lit. The booklet is probably the best source of information you're going to get, the only thing that really worries me is the interview. Also does anyone know how hard Maths is going to be? Out of all the subjects I've chosen that's most likely my weakest and taking a look at the Westminster School Challenge past papers is mind-numbingly painful, but I would assume it's easier than a scholarship paper.

Good luck to everyone applying!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by skashemsri
Male applicant here - hoping to do Maths, History, Econ and English Lit. The booklet is probably the best source of information you're going to get, the only thing that really worries me is the interview. Also does anyone know how hard Maths is going to be? Out of all the subjects I've chosen that's most likely my weakest and taking a look at the Westminster School Challenge past papers is mind-numbingly painful, but I would assume it's easier than a scholarship paper.

Good luck to everyone applying!

yeah, I’m a bit worried about maths as well. the girl that showed me around on the open evening said that the maths interview was terrifying, but at the time I wasn’t sure whether or not I wanted to do maths so I didn’t ask her for any more detail! good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jupiiter
I’m not finding french too hard to revise for, mostly because in the courses booklet it gave a bit more detail on what would be in the exam than my other subjects did. basically I’ve been trying to write 180 words everyday using the headings in my textbook and doing the AS gap fill exercises from languagesonline. I’m a bit worried about the interview though (as if I’ll get that far, haha) as from what I’ve heard it’s mostly in french!
maths isn’t proving too difficult either because it said in the booklet that it’s just algebra, geometry and arithmetic. I’ve been using past papers from the UKMT to practice, as well as mymaths and my revision booklet just to make sure I know all the material back to front.
biology and geography are a little harder though as the booklet didn’t really give specifics on what will be in the test. I’m doing the exam for CLC as well though and they provided specifications for the exams so I’m using that for biology and just trying to make sure I’m confident about everything we’ve studied in geography and know all the terms.

Hii I am also applying for those exept geo, I'm planning on taking p and tπŸ˜‚ I am doing that as well but I am more scared about the exam cuz they cut so many people at that stage rather than the interview one.. BUT GOOD LOOK TO EVERYONe!!!!!!
Reply 7
hey im applying this year too for english lit, hsitory,osophy and ethics and spanish. i think the biggest worry for me is history because i love the subject but lately ive not been getting the grades i want in it:s-smilie: im still bricking it for the other 3 exams but less so:biggrin:

what exam board are you doing for french? because ive heard that they base it off of the igcse syllabus
I'm applying too for a full bursary at Westminster school
I've also applied to Eton and St Paul's
I'm waiting for an interview decision at Latymer
Original post by fendicroissant
what exam board are you doing for french? because ive heard that they base it off of the igcse syllabus

at my school we do aqa, and yes you're right, i was speaking to a teacher there a while ago and they do indeed do igcse. the exam is just a writing section and a gap fill exercise though, so i'm sure it won't matter too much which board you're doing as long as you can understand the questions and have enough vocab to answer them well.
by the way, I had a look at the igcse topic list:
- everyday activities (home life, school, food, health and fitness)
- personal and social life (holidays, special occasions, self, family and personal relationships)
- the world around us (home town, local area, natural/made environment, people, places and customs)
- the world of work (continuing education, careers, employment, language and communication in the workplace)
- the international world (tourism at home/abroad, life in other countries, global issues and events)
most of this is the same as what i've been doing in class, but i have been reading ahead and learning vocab from sections we haven't covered yet just in case
at my school we do aqa, and yes you're right, i was speaking to a teacher there a while ago and they do indeed do igcse. the exam is just a writing section and a gap fill exercise though, so i'm sure it won't matter too much which board you're doing as long as you can understand the questions and have enough vocab to answer them well.
by the way, I had a look at the igcse topic list:
- everyday activities (home life, school, food, health and fitness)
- personal and social life (holidays, special occasions, self, family and personal relationships)
- the world around us (home town, local area, natural/made environment, people, places and customs)
- the world of work (continuing education, careers, employment, language and communication in the workplace)
- the international world (tourism at home/abroad, life in other countries, global issues and events)
most of this is the same as what i've been doing in class, but i have been reading ahead and learning vocab from sections we haven't covered yet just in case

thank you that was so helpful!

my current school does aqa as well, but we haven't covered a lot of this in class yet, so i've been trying to teach it to myself. i've been focusing on writing out paragraphs about each topic (roughly 180 words, as specified) so that i'll be prepared whatever comes up in the writing, and also trying to incorporate some a-level vocabulary? honestly, i feel quite unsure about the whole thing

ha sorry, i just read the whole thread, and you're doing the same prep as me anyway!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jada11
hey im applying this year too for english lit, hsitory,osophy and ethics and spanish. i think the biggest worry for me is history because i love the subject but lately ive not been getting the grades i want in it:s-smilie: im still bricking it for the other 3 exams but less so:biggrin:

ive literally jumped on this whole thread, but im doing english too and i was wondering how you're preparing for it?
thank you that was so helpful!

my current school does aqa as well, but we haven't covered a lot of this in class yet, so i've been trying to teach it to myself. i've been focusing on writing out paragraphs about each topic (roughly 180 words, as specified) so that i'll be prepared whatever comes up in the writing, and also trying to incorporate some a-level vocabulary? honestly, i feel quite unsure about the whole thing

ha sorry, i just read the whole thread, and you're doing the same prep as me anyway!

a really great site for picking up relevant vocab is 1jour1actu! it's a news site for french children so the grammar isn't too tricky and all the articles are on current events so it's pretty useful for that international world topic i mentioned. they also have a videos section which is great for listening practice but unfortunately there aren't any transcripts, french or otherwise
Reply 14
ive literally jumped on this whole thread, but im doing english too and i was wondering how you're preparing for it?

im not really doing much anymore tbh but im trying to read as many books as i can and analsing them and picking out good uses of literary devices. im also considering how the writer has used language and structure to create an effect in the stories.
a really great site for picking up relevant vocab is 1jour1actu! it's a news site for french children so the grammar isn't too tricky and all the articles are on current events so it's pretty useful for that international world topic i mentioned. they also have a videos section which is great for listening practice but unfortunately there aren't any transcripts, french or otherwise

thank you for the advice! it will probably be especially useful for the interview, (haha, like im going to get that far) in case you have to hold a conservation about current events in french!

if you want any help learning vocab, i use this site called memrise which we use in class. you can learn vocabulary for pretty much any topic (gcse & a-level standard), as well as more advanced phrases to just drop into your writing or whatever, i find it really effective
Original post by jada11
im not really doing much anymore tbh but im trying to read as many books as i can and analsing them and picking out good uses of literary devices. im also considering how the writer has used language and structure to create an effect in the stories.

ok, thankyou
i've done a couple of practice essays, but i still feel pretty unprepared, to be honest
hey everyone, sorta random but i was just wondering how long you all get for lunch and between exams? i get extra time so i only have 15 mins between and 30 mins for lunch and was curious as to whether it's similar for everyone else or if you get double that
Reply 18
ok, thankyou
i've done a couple of practice essays, but i still feel pretty unprepared, to be honest

i feel the same about all these exams but i guess the idea is that we're supposed to feel unprepared in a sense?? think about it; most people that go into exams that act cocky tend not to get the grade they thought they would. i think that being unprepared allows them an opportuntity to see how your mind works as well instead of seeing a rehearsed response especially for subjects like english where you have to analyse. obviously not too unprepared though!
Hey everyone,
I am also applying for Westminster this year and i am so stressed. I am aware that the competition is insane and i am truly terrified. I am taking maths, physics, history and spanish. I am also a year younger than everyone else applying but i am still in year 11. Does anyone have any revision tips as i have been revising gcse syllabus (most of it i had to teach myself as we havent yet covered the whole course at school) but i really don't know what else i can do..

Quick Reply

Latest