username3490814
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm going to kick this off by saying I am actually French so language barrier isn't too much of a concern for me.

But I'm stuck to decide whether or not to go to French uni, my parents and teachers want me to, especially since I want to go into languages, but I'm still not too sure. I'd like to go and it would be fun for many reasons such as; experiencing French culture in more depth, being with my French family, seeing a new place etc but at the same time I still feel unsure as I like England as well and I've found some places here that do my course and look really interesting.

Any advice on how I can decide?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Airplanescantfly)
I'm going to kick this off by saying I am actually French so language barrier isn't too much of a concern for me.

But I'm stuck to decide whether or not to go to French uni, my parents and teachers want me to, especially since I want to go into languages, but I'm still not too sure. I'd like to go and it would be fun for many reasons such as; experiencing French culture in more depth, being with my French family, seeing a new place etc but at the same time I still feel unsure as I like England as well and I've found some places here that do my course and look really interesting.

I'm by no means an expert, but it is my understanding that the student experience at French universities is very different to that in the UK (huge lecture halls full of students, virtually no contact time with lecturers, less (or no) module choice etc). That said, if you can get into one of the Grandes Écoles and they offer a degree you like, then sure, go for it. You might also consider EPFL or one of the other francophone universities in Switzerland where the general quality of education is higher.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Airplanescantfly)

Apply for both, see what offers you get, visit the universitities, speak to current students, then decide.
Cedriskee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe you can also consider studying in U.K and do one semester in exchange with French university so you can do your interesting courses and study in France at the same time!
Socrates7
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
I'm by no means an expert, but it is my understanding that the student experience at French universities is very different to that in the UK (huge lecture halls full of students, virtually no contact time with lecturers, less (or no) module choice etc). That said, if you can get into one of the Grandes Écoles and they offer a degree you like, then sure, go for it. You might also consider EPFL or one of the other francophone universities in Switzerland where the general quality of education is higher.
I agree with him. But, there are many other factors to take into account.

1. Money: if that's not a problem for you, perhaps it's better to stay in the UK and apply to departments such as SELCS in University College London with a year abroad. If money is a problem, just go to France, education is much cheaper than in the UK.

2. Grades: if you are a good student, then you can apply for a double degree at the Paris-Sorbonne (Paris 4), such as the double degree "Lettres modernes et LLCER anglais", in that way you will take humanities courses in French and English or "Lettres modernes et espagnol/allemand/portugais" if you want to learn a 3rd language. IF, and only IF, you are a VERY good student, then you can apply for admission to the École normale supérieure for a ENS diploma in the department of "Littérature et langues", and have the flexibility and academic support that you will have if you were at Oxford. The ENS works like an Oxford college, you will still continue at the Sorbonne (you university) for you degree and have academic support at the ENS (your "college").

3. Language interests: if you want to learn European languages, both options that I previously mentioned can apply. However, if you want to learn African, Asian or Native American languages, check out the courses at the "Institut de langues orientales (Inalco)" and if you want application courses, such as Anthropology, check also the "École des hautes études en sciences sociales (EHESS).

I know pretty well the French higher education system, so drop me a message if you need any more help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (112)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (335)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (242)
10.82%
Lack of purpose or motivation (312)
13.95%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (103)
4.6%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (129)
5.77%
Loneliness (192)
8.58%
Financial worries (86)
3.84%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (94)
4.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (106)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (119)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (196)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (211)
9.43%

Watched Threads