All electric vehicles by 2040 - What do you think?

Watch
Styles2602
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The government trying to make all vehicles on UK roads electric running by 2040, do you think this is a but optimistic ?

The national grid can't even cope during East Enders ad break when we all flick the kettle on !
Sweyn Forkbeard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think technically the proposal is that all vehicles must have some form of electric propulsion. This means hybrids would qualify, so it might not be as people are imagining, with cars running only on electricity. Of course that also makes the plans appear rather less optimistic.

Manufacturers are already making their own pledges, so the direction of travel is definitely electric/hybrid.

It's true we will have to expand our generating capacity though! We will need some new power stations.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Styles2602)
The national grid can't even cope during East Enders ad break when we all flick the kettle on !
Well, it can..
Jang Gwangnam
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The government trying to make all vehicles on UK roads electric running by 2040, do you think this is a but optimistic ?

gg, homeboy it's possible if Nuclear Fusion becomes successful. Like then we'd have a lot of energy with presumably no waste products.
freedom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Well, it can..
Im sure a few years ago, during a world cup england were playing.

Halftime when everyone put kettle on the national grid couldn't cope. This was what my science teacher said.

Anyway electric cars are bad, batteries do not last, take ages to charge and electric cost more than petrol.

better choice would be to make city centres car free zones and invest in better public transport.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by freedom)

Halftime when everyone put kettle on the national grid couldn't cope. This was what my science teacher said.

Anyway electric cars are bad, batteries do not last, take ages to charge and electric cost more than petrol.

better choice would be to make city centres car free zones and invest in better public transport.
You're going a bit further back than a few years...
freedom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
You're going a bit further back than a few years...
the fact is, electric costs more than petrol.

Electric cars costs more than petrol.

Electrics cars dont last as long as a petrol engine, so more wastage.
Sweyn Forkbeard
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the fact is, electric costs more than petrol.

Electric cars costs more than petrol.

Electrics cars dont last as long as a petrol engine, so more wastage.
I think the answer to all of those objections is "at the moment".

This is a long term vision. It isn't expected to happen overnight.
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)

Wasnt there a study a few months back where it found that if a car is being charged outside the fuses in a house cant take having the kettle being on or something? EDIT: Here FT article on it

Either way, the amount of restructuring the country would need, not to mention the increased electricity production required to charge all these cars makes the proposal rather infeasible in the time allowed. And I'm concerned that we're just kicking the problem down the road, since the electricity still needs generating and in the quantities needed will require more fossil-fuel power stations since renewables cant cope at the moment and people detest anything nuclear.
Sweyn Forkbeard
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by an_atheist)
Wasnt there a study a few months back where it found that if a car is being chraged outside the fuses in a house cant take having the kettle being on or something?

Either way, the amount of restructuring the country would need, not to mention the increased electricity production required to charge all these cars makes the proposal rather infeasible in the time allowed. And I'm concerned that we're just kicking the problem down the road, since the electricity still needs generating and in the quantities needed will require more fossil-fuel power stations since renewables cant cope at the moment and people detest anything nuclear.
Yes I've had the same concerns about having to use fossil fuels to generate the electricity to run the fossil-fuel free cars. Renewable capacity (especially offshore wind) is increasing quite quickly but it's nowhere near enough right now.

I'm not sure though, that the problem is being kicked down the road. The objectives here are long term ones so they will naturally take time to be achieved. I think over 20 years should be enough time, so long as politicians get their act together and sort out other parts of our energy policy. Unfortunately politicians aren't good at thinking in the long term.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the objectives may not be as ambitious as they're being made out to be, as "electric" includes hybrid.
freedom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

they have been making phone batteries for years.

Guess what happens on a new phone to the battery after a year of charging, its capacity decreases and decreases to the point where you have to charge it 3 times a day.

but hey, paying 600 for a new phone every two years is no probs.

but what about paying 30k for a car every few years??
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes I've had the same concerns about having to use fossil fuels to generate the electricity to run the fossil-fuel free cars. Renewable capacity (especially offshore wind) is increasing quite quickly but it's nowhere near enough right now.

I'm not sure though, that the problem is being kicked down the road. The objectives here are long term ones so they will naturally take time to be achieved. I think over 20 years should be enough time, so long as politicians get their act together and sort out other parts of our energy policy. Unfortunately politicians aren't good at thinking in the long term.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the objectives may not be as ambitious as they're being made out to be, as "electric" includes hybrid.
Fair enough. Its a point I hear getting ignored in a lot of these sorts of debates.

Unfortunately you're relying on the politicians not trying to screw everyone over to benefit themselves, which seems to be what is happening at the moment and in recent history. Not that they're entirely to blame, the whole election cycle, while necessary, promotes short termism since the public expects results NOW not in 20 years. Everything that happens is placed at the door of the government of the day, not the government(s) whose policies created the issues (looking at the social situations in UK, a lot can be placed before Blair/Brown).

Fair enough, bit of a slippery slope though (might end up having someone campaign for hybrids to be removed from the roads because they use fuel too. the horror)
Nice2KnoU
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Batteries in electric cars are easily replaceable, Tesla already does this for their customers. It's probably even quicker to swap the batteries out than replace certain parts in a car.

Electricity prices will decrease more and more over time, as it becomes easier and cheaper to generate, requiring less money needing to be invested into it.
In terms of the amount of electricity we generate, I think I heard that we generate like 5-10% more than we actually use, and since we have underground cables hooked up to the power grids in France and the Netherlands we can easily make sure we have enough.

If you think about it though, liquid fuel cars were most definitely the same when they were starting out, the fuel would've been expensive and so would the cars, meaning only the wealthy could afford them, and it's the same with electric cars now. Technology is rapidly becoming better and better, so I'm pretty sure we'll easily be prepared for the future.

Batteries will be bigger & more compact, power generation will be cheap, parts will be even more durable & the electric cars themselves will become cheaper.

(No clue why I decided to call diesel & petrol based cars "liquid fuel cars" but whatever, I'm tired lmao)
1Confused.child
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Sound idea for the next 50 years since current electric cars aren't as good to completely replace traditional cars but yeah all fuel cars need to be replaced soon.
freedom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 1Confused.child)
Sound idea for the next 50 years since current electric cars aren't as good to completely replace traditional cars but yeah all fuel cars need to be replaced soon.
yeah batteries are terrible.

but have city centres free of cars will be good for the environment, its the idling and slow stop and start were most pollution occurs. People going to the hair dressers etc.

Instead of roads, have tram lines or better busses, not ones which puff black smoke
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not alone in wanting to point out that there is no ad break on EastEnders, right?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

50% of new car sales (which is what is being banned in 2040) will be electric by 2030 so it's pretty reasonable if they crack the lorry/larger car end of the market.
freedom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nice2KnoU)
Batteries in electric cars are easily replaceable, Tesla already does this for their customers. It's probably even quicker to swap the batteries out than replace certain parts in a car.

Electricity prices will decrease more and more over time, as it becomes easier and cheaper to generate, requiring less money needing to be invested into it.
In terms of the amount of electricity we generate, I think I heard that we generate like 5-10% more than we actually use, and since we have underground cables hooked up to the power grids in France and the Netherlands we can easily make sure we have enough.

If you think about it though, liquid fuel cars were most definitely the same when they were starting out, the fuel would've been expensive and so would the cars, meaning only the wealthy could afford them, and it's the same with electric cars now. Technology is rapidly becoming better and better, so I'm pretty sure we'll easily be prepared for the future.

Batteries will be bigger & more compact, power generation will be cheap, parts will be even more durable & the electric cars themselves will become cheaper.

(No clue why I decided to call diesel & petrol based cars "liquid fuel cars" but whatever, I'm tired lmao)
hydrogen cars are a better option

and its cost 10k to get it replaced, i figure I saw on some motoring program
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

This includes mild-hybrids. So you could build a car with a great big monstrous 10-litre quad-turbo W20 engine and put in a little electric motor to go with it and you'd be fine. And used petrol cars will still be fine.

hydrogen cars are a better option

and its cost 10k to get it replaced, i figure I saw on some motoring program
I'm not sure if I agree with that. You need to generate hydrogen via electricity, and it isn't 100% efficient. It's better to use electricity directly I think. Also, hydrogen cars require HUGE amounts of oxygen to react the hydrogen and generate power, even more so than petrol cars. This means that they aren't very powerful so I think they'd only be viable in conjunction with a battery.
freedom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheMindGarage)
This includes mild-hybrids. So you could build a car with a great big monstrous 10-litre quad-turbo W20 engine and put in a little electric motor to go with it and you'd be fine. And used petrol cars will still be fine.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. You need to generate hydrogen via electricity, and it isn't 100% efficient. It's better to use electricity directly I think. Also, hydrogen cars require HUGE amounts of oxygen to react the hydrogen and generate power, even more so than petrol cars. This means that they aren't very powerful so I think they'd only be viable in conjunction with a battery.
stick a supercharger on it, all the air you want?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.62%
Less motivated (90)
74.38%

Watched Threads