The Student Room Group

I think I am too unattractive for him and that he only wants to take the piss

As per the thread title, I am friends with this man and we have suddenly began flirting. I have never had any experiences dating other men before, nor I have had the best deal in life. Although I am not setting my expectations high, as this can go either way, I am still worried. While I won't consider myself to be too unattractive, my anxiety disorder paired with a lack of self-esteem caused by years and years of bullying has made me slightly paranoid of people's intentions towards me, especially those of a romantic nature. I have been catfished before, and at the same time, I am afraid he will take advantage of me because he perceives me as vulnerable or needy. Given my lack of knowledge in regards to romantic relationships, and that I have not been kissed or had engaged in sexual relationships before, I am afraid he is only using me to brag off that he was the one to get the virgin and "sullied" her. I am also scared because he is quite attractive and well above my league.

However, and at the same time, I cannot help but think this is my anxiety disorder speaking on my behalf. Nothing he has done before has given me any indication that he is such a scumbag. He is incredibly caring, attentive and is always asking for my opinion on things, not to mention that he is an overall wonderful person. We have agreed to take things slow, and he respects that whatever we decide to do next, he doesn't mind being my friend.
Reply 1
Please, I need some answers. I am at a loss here and I already feel horrible for letting my anxiety control my life :frown:
Reply 2
Bump :frown:
I think above all you should have some confidence in yourself and not be afraid to take things slowly.
Go out on a few dates with him and get to know each other. If he is really in it to brag, he will give up if you won't give him anything in the first few weeks.
Don't talk about your anxiety and try and think about positive things. Go with the flow.
Reply 5
If you really like your friend, then just try and build a relationship slowly I guess. There's no need for you to be doing anything sexual if you don't feel comfortable. However I think there's definitely a problem if you're having these thoughts and I think it's best to be open about your feelings and insecurities with him if you want to build a relationship honestly and healthily.
Also if you think genuinely that he is the kind of guy to "take the piss" and treat you badly then I think you should reconsider your romantic interest in him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending